exercise-what is better?

libby

I've recently started to work my upper body, now that I have my derriere under control. When I extend my arms out while holding weights I cannot go all the way to a straight out position (does that make sense?). Is it better to lower the weight so I can, or use a heavier weight and go as high as I can and gradually build to the full motion?

Toxick

Splat
I've recently started to work my upper body, now that I have my derriere under control. When I extend my arms out while holding weights I cannot go all the way to a straight out position (does that make sense?). Is it better to lower the weight so I can, or use a heavier weight and go as high as I can and gradually build to the full motion?

Depends on your objective.

To exercise the muscle (without building mass), you should lower the weight, so you can get full extension of the muscle, and exercising it to it's current potential.

To strengthen the muscle (maybe build some mass) you should keep the weight where it is (or go higher) and try to force it as high as you can until you have the strength to get it all the way up.

I'd suggest a combination.... use the lighter weights first and exercise the muscle with maximum contraction and extension, and then afterwards get the strength boost by doing a few reps at a higher weight.

libby

Depends on your objective.

To exercise the muscle (without building mass), you should lower the weight, so you can get full extension of the muscle, and exercising it to it's current potential.

To strengthen the muscle (maybe build some mass) you should keep the weight where it is (or go higher) and try to force it as high as you can until you have the strength to get it all the way up.

I'd suggest a combination.... use the lighter weights first and exercise the muscle with maximum contraction and extension, and then afterwards get the strength boost by doing a few reps at a higher weight.

Exactly the info I needed. Thanks!

diggy12

Sherlock is right...you need to lower your weight. Don't hurt yourself lifting out of your comfort range!