Extended Stay, and hotels in general

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It always amazes me how people don't seem to know how to do hotels. Before I commit to lodging, I run it down on Trip Advisor first to check the reviews. It's annoying how many people expect Extended Stay and hotels of that nature to be full-service, especially when it says right on their website that you won't be getting daily maid service, or hot breakfast, or pretty much anything besides a studio apartment style room. You have to go check out the dishes, utensils, appliances, etc - big whoop. Oh no, you have to take your own trash out!! And *sniff* the soap isn't all that deluxe.

:lol:

In reading reviews, I've learned what to pay attention to and what to ignore. If their beef is that they had to use the same towels more than once, pfft...ignore. (PS, even if you're at one of the hotels that don't replace your towels every day, they will do it anyway if you, you know, ask.)

Lack of a phone or hair dryer - don't most people bring their own? I haven't touched a hotel land line in at least 15 years; I'm not even sure what you'd use it for besides to call the front desk. And the hair dryers are usually so weak that I always pack my awesome beast. I bring my own coffee set up - currently it's a Bodum that I got at Target, along with an electric kettle and my own coffee. (Good coffee is important to me.)

What really kills me are the ones who get a hotel room with a kitchenette, then complain about the measly breakfast provided by the hotel. :lol: "All they offered was fruit and granola bars :mad:" Hello? The whole idea of having a kitchen is to make your own meals. Otherwise you'd stay at the Red Roof on the cheap. When I read these complaints, then see the manager respond with a very nice "I'm so sorry your stay wasn't what you expected..." I wish Trip Advisor would let readers respond. :jet:

I realize that I'm wired somewhat differently than most people when it comes to such things. But when I'm staying at a hotel for multiple nights I'd prefer that maids not come in and do their thing. I guess I understand why they do it and obviously they have to do stuff after someone checks out and before someone else checks in. But I don't need someone to come in and pick my room up every morning. It seems silly to me.

I can make up my own bed if I prefer it made up (which I do). And I can pick up whatever's laying around and do the 1 minute worth or tidying up that might be needed each day. It's more a hassle than a convenience to me to have someone come in and do such things. And if I knew someone was coming in, that would make me pick the room up myself not wanting to leave a mess for them to deal with.

So I usually put out a do not disturb sign and hope they will leave the room alone. Even still I think they feel like (according to hotel policy I would guess) that they eventually needed to get into the room to clean it.

If I'm staying for a while such that I need, e.g., new towels, then maybe after a few days I wouldn't mind someone coming in. I'd prefer to just catch someone in the hallway and ask for whatever fresh supplies I need though. Otherwise it seems - to me, for me, not necessarily for others - like an indulgence that only has value in that it is an indulgence. In actuality it's something that's more a detriment in my view than a benefit, an annoyance rather than an appreciated luxury. I rented a room, leave me to it until I'm done with it or I actually need - and tell you that I need - something.

glhs837

Power with Control
You are not alone, Sir :) I generally hang up the sign for a couple three days. I also keep the place policed, so when they do come in, trash is all in one place, bagged and ready to go.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You are not alone, Sir :) I generally hang up the sign for a couple three days. I also keep the place policed, so when they do come in, trash is all in one place, bagged and ready to go.

Make that three of us, four counting Monello. If we need something - trash bags or whatever - it's pretty easy to hunt down one of the cleaning people and get some. I don't need fresh sheets every day or even someone to make my bed. I've stayed at a few places that come in every afternoon and make things hospitable for you - fresh fruit and candy, turn down, tidying up - and it always freaks me out a little bit. I'm more comfortable at La Quinta where they leave me alone.

limblips

PREMO Member
Make that three of us, four counting Monello. If we need something - trash bags or whatever - it's pretty easy to hunt down one of the cleaning people and get some. I don't need fresh sheets every day or even someone to make my bed. I've stayed at a few places that come in every afternoon and make things hospitable for you - fresh fruit and candy, turn down, tidying up - and it always freaks me out a little bit. I'm more comfortable at La Quinta where they leave me alone.

Ditto on La Quinta. If we aren't hauling the COW and have to stay at hotels, we try to stay at La Quinta. They are clean, reasonably priced, light breakfast, close by the highway and first and foremost, PET FRIENDLY! We once stopped at a well known, upper end hotel that advertised "pet friendly". When I checked in I mentioned the furballs and was told that pets were very welcome @ $75.00/night! We rolled down the highway to a La Quinta.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It always amazes me how people don't seem to know how to do hotels. Before I commit to lodging, I run it down on Trip Advisor first to check the reviews. It's annoying how many people expect Extended Stay and hotels of that nature to be full-service, especially when it says right on their website that you won't be getting daily maid service, or hot breakfast, or pretty much anything besides a studio apartment style room. You have to go check out the dishes, utensils, appliances, etc - big whoop. Oh no, you have to take your own trash out!! And *sniff* the soap isn't all that deluxe.

In reading reviews, I've learned what to pay attention to and what to ignore. If their beef is that they had to use the same towels more than once, pfft...ignore. (PS, even if you're at one of the hotels that don't replace your towels every day, they will do it anyway if you, you know, ask.)

Lack of a phone or hair dryer - don't most people bring their own? I haven't touched a hotel land line in at least 15 years; I'm not even sure what you'd use it for besides to call the front desk. And the hair dryers are usually so weak that I always pack my awesome beast. I bring my own coffee set up - currently it's a Bodum that I got at Target, along with an electric kettle and my own coffee. (Good coffee is important to me.)

What really kills me are the ones who get a hotel room with a kitchenette, then complain about the measly breakfast provided by the hotel. :lol: "All they offered was fruit and granola bars :mad:" Hello? The whole idea of having a kitchen is to make your own meals. Otherwise you'd stay at the Red Roof on the cheap. When I read these complaints, then see the manager respond with a very nice "I'm so sorry your stay wasn't what you expected..." I wish Trip Advisor would let readers respond. :jet:

Embassy Suites.. even Homewood Suites.. and to lesser extent Home2Suites..

They all have free Breakfasat, Embassy Suites blows them all away with made to order breakfast (eggs), breakfast buffet.. and pastry bars, and fresh fruit.. free happy hour at night. I haven't been to an Embassy (open bar for mixed drinks as well) yet that limits how much you can drink, but Homewood and Home2 usually limit you to 2.. either beer or wine..

Last edited:

Radiant1

Soul Probe

I'm often amazed at how extraordinarily picky some people can be, so yeah, you have to take some of those reviews with a grain of salt. The pictures people post are more helpful than anything. I also find the bedbug registry to be helpful when picking a hotel, you don't want to come home with those or infest your RV. http://www.bedbugregistry.com/

lovinmaryland

They all have free Breakfasat, Embassy Suites blows them all away with made to order breakfast (eggs), breakfast buffet.. and pastry bars, and fresh fruit.. free happy hour at night. I haven't been to an Embassy (open bar for mixed drinks as well) yet that limits how much you can drink, but Homewood and Home2 usually limit you to 2.. either beer or wine..

We usually stay exclusively w/ Embassy Suites for those reasons. By the time you factor in the free breakfast for 4-6 (depending on how many are traveling w/ us) plus the happy hour from 5:30-7:30 the room pays for itself. Certain ES offer more extensive/filling snacks w/ happy hour vs just the standard chips & salsa, snack mix, goldfish, etc... we've stayed at a few where the happy hour has included things like nacho bar w/ all the fixins (cheese, meat, sour cream, olives, lettuce, etc...) chicken tenders, mini corn dogs, etc... so we've been so full from munching we've not had to go out to eat.

They are really good at customer service also. When we stayed at the Chicago location I mentioned at check in that we were in town for my sons pass in review at great lakes. Within minutes of checking in there was a knock at the door, it was the hotel manager w/ complimentary champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, & a cheese plate he said he wanted to extend all of the ameneties at the hotel (breakfast, happy hour, pool, etc...) to my son and any of his buddies from great lakes during our stay. :faint: :bawl: Later that evening at happy hour we had ordered a few appetizers from their in house restaurant and when they brought the check it said "compliments of the house congrats on your sons graduation from boot camp" We were definitely blown away.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

What's the price-ish? LQs usually run around $80-100 per night, no pet fee, and most of them have hot breakfast buffet with egg and meat, biscuits and gravy, etc.

We like to eat at the local restaurants and drink at their bars while we're exploring the city, so not sure how much we'd avail ourselves of the hotel happy hours and such. But if the price is right, we definitely consider it.

lovinmaryland

What's the price-ish? LQs usually run around $80-100 per night, no pet fee, and most of them have hot breakfast buffet with egg and meat, biscuits and gravy, etc.

We like to eat at the local restaurants and drink at their bars while we're exploring the city, so not sure how much we'd avail ourselves of the hotel happy hours and such. But if the price is right, we definitely consider it.
Depends on where youre at and the time of year. The one we stayed at in Chicago in February was $100 a night but I've seen it go as high as $300 in the summer.

We just stayed at the one in Baltimore last weekend and that one was $120 a night. We stay at the one in Tysons between 4-6 times a year (they have a great pool for the kids in the winter months) and I've stayed there as low as $65 a night.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well thank you for the tip, Lovin and Bob! I just booked us at Homewood Suites in Des Moines - it's a nicer hotel, with a separate bedroom, and a full kitchen, and a reasonable pet fee, and a hot breakfast, and happy hour, and pool, and some other things. Canceled our reservation at ExtendedStay, where you get no pool, a much higher pet fee, no amenities, and the cost was higher than Homewood when you include the $25/night pet fee.

:thewave:

And I'm now a Hilton Honors member. :yahoo:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Make that 5 or 6 or however many. :lol: We prefer to make the beds and get our own stuff, although haven't been opposed to them coming in to re-stock coffees. We always bring our own toiletries and hair dryer. I don't need a bunch of frills, although I do want clean so I won't stay at real low end places. We've had a lot of good luck at Country Inns and Suites, Hilton Garden Inns. Looking forward to trying LaQuinta in the future, based on Vrai's great reviews. :yay:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I realize that I'm wired somewhat differently than most people when it comes to such things. But when I'm staying at a hotel for multiple nights I'd prefer that maids not come in and do their thing.

I hang the NEVER disturb me sigh :lol:

and never make the bed either

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

The only thing i am truly picky about is the cleanliness of the room. I recently stayed a motel that had laminate floors and thought what a great idea (ever look at the carpet in motels?) that place was spotless.

I will stay at a motel 6 if it is clean, I have to admit I do use the motel hair drier some times, but I am a guy and sometimes I just don't bother and let my hair air dry.

I like spring hill suites, really nice breakfast buffet every morning and it is a Marriott so it is almost always spotless.

I've also had great luck at Drury Inns, they had one of the best breakfast bars any place I have ever been (even resturants).

lovinmaryland

Well thank you for the tip, Lovin and Bob! I just booked us at Homewood Suites in Des Moines - it's a nicer hotel, with a separate bedroom, and a full kitchen, and a reasonable pet fee, and a hot breakfast, and happy hour, and pool, and some other things. Canceled our reservation at ExtendedStay, where you get no pool, a much higher pet fee, no amenities, and the cost was higher than Homewood when you include the $25/night pet fee.

:thewave:

And I'm now a Hilton Honors member. :yahoo:

Not sure what night you are staying but the Homewood Suites also offers free dinner when you stay Monday - Thursday. Its nothing fancy but was nice to have when we were traveling cross country driving all day and didn't feel like going out to eat.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not sure what night you are staying but the Homewood Suites also offers free dinner when you stay Monday - Thursday. Its nothing fancy but was nice to have when we were traveling cross country driving all day and didn't feel like going out to eat.

We're going to be there for 2 1/2 weeks, so good lodging is important. If we're just going to hit and run, whatever's cheapest will do. But if we're going to stay any length of time it's nice to have a pool, a gym, kitchen of some form, and other happiness.

lovinmaryland

We're going to be there for 2 1/2 weeks, so good lodging is important. If we're just going to hit and run, whatever's cheapest will do. But if we're going to stay any length of time it's nice to have a pool, a gym, kitchen of some form, and other happiness.

Oh sweet! Ok yea then that will be perfect! Also keep in mind they have breakfast to go also. Usually a bag filled w/ fruit, granola bar, etc... If you are leaving before they start breakfast or don't have time for breakfast that kinda thing. I always tell the kids to grab one when we leave so that way when we're headed back down the road and they say theyre hungry they can have something from there :lol: #cheapmommy