Extra-curricular activities...

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
And then...... after all that................... they graduate.................. and get a job........................................... at STARBUCKS.............:yikes:

No lie! I have several friends who are now the proud parents of college grads that are no where near working in their field of choice, working as an unpaid or low-paid intern, or not employed at all! :dead:

My sister is like that. Got her degree in Business and works for a SACC program at a public school as a glorified baby-sitter. Me, I dropped out of colllege and lucked into a career where in 15 1/2 years I can retire with a full pension at age 53 and never have to work another day. :yahoo:

greeneyes36

Quality of activities is more important than quantity.

While having some solid extra curriculars won't cover up a bad GPA, it can be a deciding factor on a more equal academic footing. Say the admissions board is looking at your daughter's application and the application of another student and comparing them. They are both roughly the same academically, but if your daughter has some good extra curriculars over the other student, it will give her an edge.

I would emphasize leadership ability in groups. If she was President (or secretary, treasurer, VP, whatever "office") of some club or other, mention that. Any group that she was a part of that had significant accomplishments (state champions, regional champions, whatever) is worth mentioning. Mentoring type groups are good to mention since many universities have a big thing about "giving back to the community." If she's been a regular member of the local basket weaving community for the last couple years... I'd probably leave something like that off since it doesn't really contribute anything other than she obviously has free time.

Unfortunately being middle class does hurt her. Many scholarships are classified as need-based. Being white, not necessarily a bad (or good) thing. Many scholarship providing groups, though labeled as "hispanic," "black," etc, are open to everyone. Even SWE (Society of Women Engineers) accepts men and offers scholarships.

Something I heard once was that it was an excellent idea to go visit your high school guidance counselors about scholarships. I was told that they have file cabinets full of scholarship opportunities. Many of them are small, local opportunities and nobody ever hears about them, so nobody applies. Even if you are completely unqualified for a scholarship... if you're the only applicant (or the best of a small bunch) they'll give it to you. Lots of little scholarships do add up.

Other possibilities to help defray tuition costs are getting a job on campus. Many professors advertise for undergraduate teaching/grading assistants for their classes. If your daughter takes a class, does exceptionally well in it (typically an A) and gets along with the professor, definitely talk to them about possible opportunities doing that in future semesters.

Good luck to her!

what an incredible amount of knowledgeable advice. Thanks for sharing !!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm thinking any community service preceded by "Court Ordered" may not be a good choice to put down..

C

czygvtwkr

General rule is big colleges dont look at them at all. Touchy feely colleges with 20 students total do. Science majors generally don't care because they need students with brains not Ms. Popularity.

BernieP

Resident PIA
What school is she looking at going to? Some of the colleges and universities have Dean's scholarships or president scholarships for high GPA's.

grants, scholarships, direct loans - learn what's available - college.gov

Don't count on it being that clear cut, your idea of "high grades" and the colleges' are going to differ. They will compare or have compared the performance of the school your child attended with other schools nationwide. Grades are normalized, like SAT scores.
Even when based on merit, a certain amount of subjective judgement is used. Schools want to be diverse, whether they are "touchy feely" or not. A female going into engineering might not be the top scorer on the objective scale, but schools would be more inclined to use scholarships to get her to enroll in their institution. Don't get me wrong, she must be qualified, but all other things being fairly equal, they are gong to look for more from their students then just academics.

Trust me, it's not new, it predates PC. Based on my grades I should not have been accepted at the schools I applied to let alone recieved the scholarship offers. SAT scores were outstanding but my grades were average. The only explaination was that it was the "extras" I brought to the table. Extras in the form of awards (for extra curricular activities) and participation.