Extreme riding (or walking?)

mingiz

Horse Poor
I was looking into the different types of trail riding and came across this. Never occurred to me that you could use your horse's tail as a rope. Guess it's possible if you know you won't get kicked. :shrug:

Fort Valley Friday - IMG_4480

Is that a shot from the endurence ride they host? I go down there often. I have used my horses tail to pull me up a ravine. Usually but not always if you have their tail they won't kick. When I trained harness horses back in the day we would tie some of the horses tails to the shaft on the cart to keep them from kicking. I had never seen it fail. On that type of extreme riding you do need a horse that trust you and you them.

united

That looks like it would be a lot of fun, I'm going to have to try that. I just bought a horse that came from the mountains so maybe he can show me how to do it.

united

So the funny thing is, I just pulled up the e-mail to find out exactly where I bought him from, and go figure it was Fort Valley Ranch. I'm sure he really could show me a thing or two.

Wait4It..boom

Is that a shot from the endurence ride they host?
I believe so. I had been looking at a clinic in July for endurance newbies and was peeking at some of the gallery pics. I think I'd like to try it, but most of my riding has always been within confines of an arena or indoor. Need to breakout some but am skeered! :O)
Can easily count the number of trail rides I've done. Definitely want a confidence booster (they say they have mentors- looks like they 'hike' beside you). I'm all about some hand holding in those instances.

Usually but not always if you have their tail they won't kick.
I'll take your word on that one....

Last edited:

Wait4It..boom

So the funny thing is, I just pulled up the e-mail to find out exactly where I bought him from, and go figure it was Fort Valley Ranch. I'm sure he really could show me a thing or two.

haha, well you can let us know how using his tail as a rope goes!

chicamuxen

Endurance Riding

If you think that endurance rides or competitive trail rides looks interesting then come to the Old Dominion Endurance Rides March 14 seminar. We have equine/endurance vets, and trainers speaking about endurance and sport horse training and care. There is a vendor who will have some of her store items at the seminar also. She sells items made for the trail riders of the horse world, things you don't find in your local store.

Endurance riding is simply an extension of trail riding, you and your horse simply get fitter, and ride cross country at a steady pace. It's you and your horse against the trail.

Bonnie Snodgrass
Old Dominion BOD Member

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Extreme trail riding and endurance riding are two entirely different things. I much prefer extreme riding!

Kim Hicks does a fun extreme trail course. Sugar Lane Farm 6950 Reliance Road Federalsburg,Md 21632 she calls it a "judged ride" but it's pretty extreme. If ya'll thought SMTRs obsticles were tough, don't do hers :lol:

RC and I want to start a course, but we haven't decided on a location yet. Our Open Trail class at Horse Science School is actually modeled after an extreme course.

There are a number of us in SMTR who ride "extreme" every time we ride toghether :lol: MyGoldenHorse? Percy? Wha-cha think?

There comes a time when you just have to go for it.

Last edited:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Extreme trail riding and endurance riding are two entirely different things. I much prefer extreme riding!

Kim Hicks does a fun extreme trail course. Sugar Lane Farm 6950 Reliance Road Federalsburg,Md 21632 she calls it a "judged ride" but it's pretty extreme. If ya'll thought SMTRs obsticles were tough, don't do hers :lol:

RC and I want to start a course, but we haven't decided on a location yet. Our Open Trail class at Horse Science School is actually modeled after an extreme course.

There are a number of us in SMTR who ride "extreme" every time we ride toghether :lol: MyGoldenHorse? Percy? Wha-cha think?

There comes a time when you just have to go for it.

That looks like lots of fun...set it up Happy and we will be there!! Maybe you could use the site of yours in Loveville.
We are all just adrenaline junkies:dye:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
That looks like lots of fun...set it up Happy and we will be there!! Maybe you could use the site of yours in Loveville.
We are all just adrenaline junkies:dye:
I thought about that HARD, I like the idea.... but RC says it's too much like work - and I guess since he'll be doing most of the construction...I suppose he knows what he's talking about :lol:
Maybe we can convince him if SMTR (or several other horse groups and/or churches) will rent space for their monthly meetings if we put a building up....:gossip:

hey maybe a commnity hall! hmm....now to fund it. maybe some bailout money will come our way :lmao:

Last edited: