Ezekiel 25 Vengeance

seekeroftruth

Ezekiel 25:1 The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “Son of man, set your face against the Ammonites and prophesy against them. 3 Say to them, ‘Hear the word of the Sovereign Lord. This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Because you said “Aha!” over my sanctuary when it was desecrated and over the land of Israel when it was laid waste and over the people of Judah when they went into exile, 4 therefore I am going to give you to the people of the East as a possession. They will set up their camps and pitch their tents among you; they will eat your fruit and drink your milk. 5 I will turn Rabbah into a pasture for camels and Ammon into a resting place for sheep. Then you will know that I am the Lord. 6 For this is what the Sovereign Lord says: Because you have clapped your hands and stamped your feet, rejoicing with all the malice of your heart against the land of Israel, 7 therefore I will stretch out my hand against you and give you as plunder to the nations. I will wipe you out from among the nations and exterminate you from the countries. I will destroy you, and you will know that I am the Lord.’”
8 “This is what the Sovereign Lord says: ‘Because Moab and Seir said, “Look, Judah has become like all the other nations,” 9 therefore I will expose the flank of Moab, beginning at its frontier towns—Beth Jeshimoth, Baal Meon and Kiriathaim—the glory of that land. 10 I will give Moab along with the Ammonites to the people of the East as a possession, so that the Ammonites will not be remembered among the nations; 11 and I will inflict punishment on Moab. Then they will know that I am the Lord.’”
12 “This is what the Sovereign Lord says: ‘Because Edom took revenge on Judah and became very guilty by doing so, 13 therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will stretch out my hand against Edom and kill both man and beast. I will lay it waste, and from Teman to Dedan they will fall by the sword. 14 I will take vengeance on Edom by the hand of my people Israel, and they will deal with Edom in accordance with my anger and my wrath; they will know my vengeance, declares the Sovereign Lord.’”
15 “This is what the Sovereign Lord says: ‘Because the Philistines acted in vengeance and took revenge with malice in their hearts, and with ancient hostility sought to destroy Judah, 16 therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am about to stretch out my hand against the Philistines, and I will wipe out the Kerethites and destroy those remaining along the coast. 17 I will carry out great vengeance on them and punish them in my wrath. Then they will know that I am the Lord, when I take vengeance on them.’”

Ok.... Those people of Ammon, Moab, Edom, and Philistia are in trouble because they laughed at Judah's problems. He's also going to get the Kerethites while He's at it.

This is from Bible-studys.org.

This is a new series of prophecies about the seven nations associated with Judah.
Ezekiel 25:1 – 32:32: Proclaims judgments on 7 other nations, similar to the series (in Jer. 46 to 51). Four of them are singled out in this chapter for vindictive jealousy and hate toward Israel. It is fitting, after devoting, to calamity on His chosen nation, that God should reveal His impartiality toward all sinners and give the prophet judgments to proclaim on Gentiles.​
Israel’s sinful failure had profaned God’s honor in the eyes of these peoples, but these nations had falsely assumed that, when Israel was exiled, their God was defeated.
The Ammonites had been enemies of Israel for many years. In this particular instance, they had sided with Nebuchadnezzar against Judah.
God had actually brought judgment on Jerusalem and His people. The temple was destroyed, so they would not have a place to fellowship with God. The thing that caused God's great anger at the ammonites was the fact, they were proud when the sanctuary was destroyed.
The Ammonites were of incestuous origin and often hostile toward Judah. God judged this people because of their enmity against Israel. They had expressed malicious pleasure at the dishonoring of the temple, desolation of the land, and dispersion of the inhabitants.​
The Arab tribe called the Nabateans invaded Edom (in 325 B.C.); but it was the Jewish forces of Judas Maccabeus (9 in 164 B.C.), and John Hyrcanus (in 126 B.C.) which fully subjugated Edom.​
Jews even compelled Edomites to submit to their religion. All 3 of these nations (Ammon, Moab and Edom), have disappeared as separate nations into the Arab peoples
The Philistines were very much like the Edomites. They were the natural enemy of Israel. Again, Israel's enemies are God's enemies.​
The reason for their judgment was perpetual enmity, and vengefulness against Israel, which perpetuated the “old hatred” from as far back (as Judges chapters 13 to16). They constantly harassed and oppressed Israel until David broke their power during Saul’s reign. They repeatedly rose up and were subdued by Israel. Nebuchadnezzar invaded their land (in Jer. Chapter 47).​
The Cherethim were the Philistines who dwelt in the southwest of Canaan. It really was another name for the Philistines. They originated in Crete and became part of the Philistine nation, with some serving in David’s bodyguard (2 Sam. 8:18; 15:18).​
Since Moab was the home of Ruth.... the great great whatever grandmother of Jesus or Nazareth..... I generally am attracted to stories. But Moab was wiped out.... there is no more Moab on the map. Other nations were wiped out during the Babylonian raids.

This is from the easy English site.

The territory of Moab was south of the Arnon River. It was along the lower region to the east of the Dead Sea.
This was the sin of Moab. They said that Israel was like all the other nations. In effect, they said that Israel’s God was like any other god. And the Moabites laughed when the Babylonians defeated Judah (Jeremiah 48:27). Because of these insults, the Lord would allow Moab’s enemies to destroy it.
Armies would attack from the north. They would come into the best cities first. These cities were the border towns of Moab. They were called Beth-jeshimoth, Baal-meon and Kiriathaim. These three cities were north of the Arnon River. This had been part of the territory of *Israel.​
The Babylonians attacked Moab in the year 583 BC. They killed the Moabites or they took them away into exile. People came from the east and they lived in the country. From that time, the nation called Moab did not exist.
Edom was the territory south of Moab. It was from the Dead Sea to the Gulf (bay) called Aqaba.
Isaac had two sons, Esau and Jacob. Esau was the ancestor of Edom. Jacob was the ancestor of Israel. There had always been trouble between Edom and Israel. Edom (also called Seir) wanted to possess Israel and Judah (Ezekiel 35:10). Edom had attacked Israel often.
God promised to destroy Edom. He would kill the people and the animals. To do this, he would use the Israelites. The Babylonians attacked Edom and they destroyed much of Edom. But it remained as a nation. Then in the year 126 BC, John Hyrcanus led Israel in the defeat of Edom. Since that attack, Edom has not existed.​

All through the history of the country called Israel, the Philistines had been enemies. They hated Israel and they were a cruel nation. King David managed to beat them but afterwards they became a strong nation. King Jehoshaphat defeated them and King Uzziah made them serve him. They were strong against King Jehoram and King Ahaz.​
So, the Lord said that he would destroy Philistia. The Cherethites and the people that live on the coast were the Philistines. The Babylonians may have destroyed Philistia. Philistia has not existed as a nation since that time.

The latest trick is to say that the Bible.... and the organized church..... was put together by a bunch of white men determined to control the masses. It's all a hoax they say..... the whole book is no more than a Harry Potter novel they say. I wonder.... did the people of Moab, Edom, or Philistia say those things about the five books of Mosaic Law? So they had no problem calling God a fake? That's why Moab and Edom don't exist anymore.... the stupid humans in those towns thought God was no better than the human carved wooden toys those stupid humans worshiped.

Job comes to mind this morning. Job loved God.... like the faithful in Israel..... Job believed God to be the one true living God. Satan took everything away in an effort to prove that Job only loved God because God was good to Job. Job didn't cry about losing everything God gave him.... yes... he did the normal crying.... but most of all.... Job wanted to know why God took away his protection. It was God's protection..... God's constant presence..... that Job enjoyed.

Those stupid humans in the towns around Judah..... made fun of the descendants of Jacob [Israel] whenever anything happened. If a descendant of Jacob [Israel] stubbed their toe... there was always someone there to say something like.... "so your God won't even keep you from stubbing your toe..... what kind of god is he?" That might be followed up with "here.... this idol will take away your pain"....... the opioid of the day.

The point.... as I get into the next few chapters..... is the stupid humans in Ezekiel's day questioned the existence of the one True Living God. They laughed at the descendants of Jacob [Israel].

The people of those nations around Israel..... they thought God was imaginary because He wasn't carved from nature. But God created everything those stupid humans carved their shiny or magical baubles out of..... He didn't need their help to come into existence. God created those stupid humans who fabricated those fake gods from the materials God provided. Stupid humans...... God showed them......

☕