EZPass Scam

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I got the mail today and saw my husband had gotten an EZPass violation on the Nice Bridge back in July. Turns out that because of Covid, there are no toll takers so every lane is now an EZPass lane. So there is nobody to collect money from people. How is this fair? Luckily the fine was only $6.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Toll booths converted to all EZpass a while back, but not because of Covid, it was something they were doing anyway everywhere. If you don't have an EZpass transponder, you'll (eventually) get a bill. There have been reports of months and months passing before the bill is received.

The normal toll is $6 without an EZpass. Are you saying you got charged $6 extra as a fine, total of $12?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The normal toll is $6 without an EZpass. Are you saying you got charged $6 extra as a fine, total of $12?

That's what I was going to say - that it's not a fine, it's a bill.

But damn, $6 for a toll? What do they think they are, New Jersey?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I've been over that bridge twice and am still waiting for my bills in the mail. In the meantime, I signed up for the transponder and received it in the mail within a week. It starts with a $25 balance, then you feed it more money, as needed.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've had mine for a long time, maybe 10 or more years? It was necessary when traveling thru all the tolls going into NY, and again when I was going back and forth over the Nice bridge to my parents 3 times a week for months. There was no way I was going to do the cash thing.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Vrai outsmarts the toll cameras here in Texas. Her car has the bike carrier on the back. The bike wheels obscure the license plate slightly. So while the motorhome gets a bill in the mail, the rav4 doesn't.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Toll booths converted to all EZpass a while back, but not because of Covid, it was something they were doing anyway everywhere. If you don't have an EZpass transponder, you'll (eventually) get a bill. There have been reports of months and months passing before the bill is received.

No, just $6. Had no idea about the change as nobody in the house goes that way much. Offense happened July 2020 and we just got the bill yesterday.

buddscreek

i had been going over twice a week for several months, hadn't received a bill. got it two weeks ago.
six dollars adds up.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
No, just $6. Had no idea about the change as nobody in the house goes that way much. Offense happened July 2020 and we just got the bill yesterday.
It’s not an offense at all. That’s just how it works now. I’m expecting a bill for a couple trips over to show up eventually.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That's what I was going to say - that it's not a fine, it's a bill.

But damn, $6 for a toll? What do they think they are, New Jersey?
Toll is only charged one way..going over to VA. And gotta pay for the new bridge somehow.....

PeoplesElbow

What sucks is when you're in a rental, the rental company charges a $20 fee months later. Government travel will not pay.

PeoplesElbow

ouch....that does suck. I've usually been offered some kind of toll reader when renting a car...
Yea, they come with them now, with a $25 fee per day you have the car, the gvt will not pay for that either.

The gvt should issue an EZ pass to its travellers, but they will never do that.

The travel rep tried to tell me the tolls to NH were excessive, told her I agreed but she needs to take that up with the MD, De, NJ, and NY state governments.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yea, they come with them now, with a $25 fee per day you have the car, the gvt will not pay for that either.

Shew. I know my friends on the govt side despise the way travel expenses are dealt with these days. One very senior NAVSEA engineer that I know even told them to" GFThemselves..he refused to travel any more, no matter who was asking". Fortunately, even though we're often asked to stay within the published Per Diem rates where possible, we're never made to eat any travel expenses.

PeoplesElbow

Shew. I know my friends on the govt side despise the way travel expenses are dealt with these days. One very senior NAVSEA engineer that I know even told them to" GFThemselves..he refused to travel any more, no matter who was asking". Fortunately, even though we're often asked to stay within the published Per Diem rates where possible, we're never made to eat any travel expenses.
My old supervisor just told people to charge extra overtime to cover such expenses, dumbass could have gotten people fired for lying on their time card.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My old supervisor just told people to charge extra overtime to cover such expenses, dumbass could have gotten people fired for lying on their time card.
Good guy....and yep, I've seen a few good people get in trouble from time card audits.

1stGenSMIB

The gvt should issue an EZ pass to its travellers, but they will never do that.

The travel rep tried to tell me the tolls to NH were excessive, told her I agreed but she needs to take that up with the MD, De, NJ, and NY state governments.
i hadn't thought about that. My last trip to worry about that was Dallas/Ft. Worth area in 2018. I always turned "off" the rental car transponders, and paid cash to get reimbursed. Not sure what you do now with no real people in the booths anymore.