Ezra 3 Altar first

seekeroftruth

Ezra 3:1 When the seventh month came and the Israelites had settled in their towns, the people assembled together as one in Jerusalem. 2 Then Joshua son of Jozadak and his fellow priests and Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel and his associates began to build the altar of the God of Israel to sacrifice burnt offerings on it, in accordance with what is written in the Law of Moses the man of God. 3 Despite their fear of the peoples around them, they built the altar on its foundation and sacrificed burnt offerings on it to the Lord, both the morning and evening sacrifices. 4 Then in accordance with what is written, they celebrated the Festival of Tabernacleswith the required number of burnt offerings prescribed for each day. 5 After that, they presented the regular burnt offerings, the New Moon sacrifices and the sacrifices for all the appointed sacred festivals of the Lord, as well as those brought as freewill offerings to the Lord. 6 On the first day of the seventh month they began to offer burnt offerings to the Lord, though the foundation of the Lord’s temple had not yet been laid.
There's a lot of talk these days about rebuilding the Temple in Jerusalem. Apparently there is a Muslim Temple there now. There are rumors that the real Temple Mount is still vacant and it's not far away. Maybe when God's Temple is rebuilt.... it won't have to be on the bones of the Muslim Temple. I wonder, if they started to rebuild today would they begin at the Temple or at the altar?

It had been 70 years since a sacrifice had been made in the Temple on the altar. At the time Joshua and Zerubbabel started to build the new altar, there was nothing but rubble..... one of those who moved into the area during the 70 year absence, probably built an alter. After all.... it is "the Mount". Jeshua and Zerubbabel had to tear down whatever stood there to rebuild the altar. I can see a brand new alter.... with brand new blood splattered on it from the first offerings.... and it looks really odd against the ravaged surroundings..... a new altar in a savage neighborhood.

This is from Biblestudys.org.

Jeshua--the grandson of Seraiah, the high priest, put to death by Nebuchadnezzar at Riblah ( 2 Kings 25:18-21 ). His father, Josedech, had been carried captive to Babylon, and died there, some time before this.​

Zerubbabel--was, according to the order of nature, son of Pedaiah ( 1 Chronicles 3:17-19 ); but having been brought up by Salathiel, he was called his son.
builded the altar of the God of Israel, to offer burnt offerings thereon--This was of urgent and immediate necessity, in order, first, to make atonement for their sins; secondly, to obtain the divine blessing on their preparations for the temple, as well as animate their feelings of piety and patriotism for the prosecution of that national work.​
they set the altar upon his bases--They reared it upon its old foundation, so that it occupied as nearly as possible the site on which it had formerly stood.

they offered burnt offerings . . . morning and evening--Deeming it their duty to perform the public rites of religion, they did not wait till the temple should be rebuilt and dedicated; but, at the outset, they resumed the daily service prescribed by the law ( Exodus 29:38 Exodus 29:39 , Leviticus 6:9 Leviticus 6:11 ), as well as observed the annual seasons of solemn observance.​

The picture I see when I consider this doesn't fit.... but then again it does.

I've only seen "total" destruction once before. It was during that hurricane when I was a kid living in base housing at New London, Conn. The hurricane winds and water washed houses completely off their foundation. I figure the houses in that scene were still intact.... even though they weren't on their foundation... that's like their houses were on vacation.... I need to imagine something much worse.... I need to think of rubble.

When I think of Jeshua and Zerubbabel and this new altar.... I see them against the backdrop of the twin towers after 9/11. The rubble of the fallen buildings.... the twisted metal and concrete sticking up..... almost screaming to be whole again.... and in front of it is a brand new altar, splattered with the evening sacrificial blood.... calling on God to excuse us for being horribly stupid humans.

It's interesting to me.... one of the first major events they held was the Feast of the Tents.... while they were living in tents.... rebuilding the Temple.

☕