Facebook Demands School list as a Political Org. for Wanting to Advertise Free Speech Video

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
In the Prager situation, a California charter school wanted to advertise a screening of "No Safe Spaces" on its campus, only to have Facebook demand that the school identify as partisan. Since the school simply wanted to focus on the movie's free speech angle and had no political affiliation, they refused to comply with Facebook's demands.

"We all know what happens on campus doesn’t stay on campus,” said the Facebook video ad. "Help us prove we can work through our disagreements to create a better country."

Acton Placer Academy's CEO, Matt Beaudreau, said he did not see any reason to identify as a politico because the screening simply wanted to highlight free speech — a constitutional right. Also, the screening was organized by high school seniors fulfilling an "entrepreneurial" requirement. Dave Rubin, a noted "classical liberal," was slated to deliver an introduction prior to the screening.

"They asked me a bunch of personal questions, then said I’d need to identify as a political entity, even though the ad doesn’t mention a party or a politician and takes no political stance whatsoever," said Beaudreau. "Facebook said if we don’t disclose a political affiliation, the ads won’t run. But we’re a nonpartisan school. We’re not a political entity. We’re not going to do that. We have as many parents who are Democrats as we have who are Republicans. The whole purpose of the event is to show that people can put politics aside and have civil debate."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/47649/facebook-rejects-ad-dennis-pragers-no-safe-spaces-paul-bois

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
File a lawsuit.

I keep seeing these stories of egregious rights violations....yet nobody appears to do anything about it. They just bitch, and then throw up their hands and go, "Oh well."

I feel like I'm rabble targeted for rousing. So now I ignore these stories except to say, "Do something about it." I mean, I completely understand the mindlessness of the bureaucracy - I just had to explain to my insurance company several times that I don't live in Florida, and that I am clearly a Maryland resident. Being obtuse is not just for the little people. But after this school reminded them that they are in fact a school and not a PAC, that should have been that.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I keep seeing these stories of egregious rights violations....yet nobody appears to do anything about it.

Facebook is a private company, no rights involved ..... Perhaps one could argue FB / Twitter / Google is the new 'public square' and as such an accommodation has to be made for everyone