Facebook Employees Stage 'Virtual Walkout' to Protest Continued Existence of Donald Trump

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Now, you may agree with what the president says here. You may disagree. You may have no opinion at all. But that doesn’t matter. It’s not up to you. It’s up to your moral, ethical, and intellectual betters at Facebook. They should be the ones who decide what information you get, because you might get information you can’t handle. You can’t be trusted to read stuff you might interpret the wrong way. You might start getting ideas you shouldn’t have. You need a gatekeeper. That used to be the role of the mainstream media, such as newspapers and network TV and whatnot. Now it’s Facebook.

And they know it. Here’s one such reaction from a Facebook engineer:

Facebook's inaction in taking down Trump's post inciting violence makes me ashamed to work here. I absolutely disagree with it. I enjoy the technical parts of my job and working alongside smart/kind people, but this isn't right. Silence is complicity.
— Lauren Tan ✨😷✨ (@sugarpirate_) May 29, 2020
Who better to tell you what the truth is, and isn’t, than a 20-something software engineer in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Free speech is too important to leave in the hands of the people. If Mark Zuckerberg refuses to tell you what to think, that’s all the proof you need that he’s a fascist!

(Okay, that’s enough of that. Trying to think like these idiots gives me a headache even at the best of times…)

https://outline.com/ZCuRdJ

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What is a "virtual walkout"? They just say they're walking out and don't really do it?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

SamSpade

I've only recently come across the concept that "thug" - a word that until recently ALWAYS meant something like Mafia henchman has somehow become a racist term. In books, movies, comics and so forth, the word is always used to describe a violent criminal.

MOST of the time in reference to organized crime, although the word itself comes from India. For those of us who watched "Temple of Doom", those were the original Thugs.

Every dictionary definition I am able to find defines it as such. Thug is synonymous with criminal, ruffian, a bully. There's nothing racial about it.

If you commit criminal acts, you're a criminal. Thug is more descriptive. A person who steals your identity online or forges IDs is a criminal - a thug HURTS and beats people.

I have no intention of tiptoeing around a word because someone who assaults people is offended at being called out on it.

SamSpade

Hood Rats use the term Thug or Gan'ster ... but get all pissy when a White Person use the same words

Again - "hood" is short for hoodlum. A word used to describe Irish street gang members. When I grew up, hood was used to describe someone who was uncouth and a bully. In "Happy Days", Fonzie was called a 'hood'. Jets and Sharks. Hell's Angels.

Gangster is a term which has always - I suppose until recently - referred to a member of organized crime (Yakuza, Triad, Mafia) and is more or less synonymous with "mobster". Al Capone was a gangster.

If you want to call yourself a hood and a gangster, knock yourself out. Al Capone would have shot you if you called him one.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've only recently come across the concept that "thug" - a word that until recently ALWAYS meant something like Mafia henchman has somehow become a racist term. In books, movies, comics and so forth, the word is always used to describe a violent criminal.

Everything is a racist term now. When liberals hear "thug" they immediately think of black people. When they hear poor speech and illiteracy, they think "black person".

We're not allowed to say anything that makes liberals think of black people.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Gangster is a term which has always - I suppose until recently - referred to a member of organized crime

Oh Thugs in the 'hood [neighborhood] used the moniker as a badge of honor for their crack empires in the 90's

DaSDGuy

Now, you may agree with what the president says here. You may disagree. You may have no opinion at all. But that doesn’t matter. It’s not up to you. It’s up to your moral, ethical, and intellectual betters at Facebook. They should be the ones who decide what information you get, because you might get information you can’t handle. You can’t be trusted to read stuff you might interpret the wrong way. You might start getting ideas you shouldn’t have. You need a gatekeeper. That used to be the role of the mainstream media, such as newspapers and network TV and whatnot. Now it’s Facebook.

And they know it. Here’s one such reaction from a Facebook engineer:

Who better to tell you what the truth is, and isn’t, than a 20-something software engineer in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Free speech is too important to leave in the hands of the people. If Mark Zuckerberg refuses to tell you what to think, that’s all the proof you need that he’s a fascist!

(Okay, that’s enough of that. Trying to think like these idiots gives me a headache even at the best of times…)

https://outline.com/ZCuRdJ
In the real world - a tree fell in the woods yesterday but I wasn't there, so I didn't hear it. In other words, who cares what someone hiding in a backroom has to say?

Personally, I made my own actual walkout and quit faceplant 4 years ago. Nothing there worth my time.

Last edited: