Facebook Marketplace

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I'm giving away some decent furniture. Right now I'm trying to get rid of a wood rocking chair. It's too good to just trash.

I put an ad on facebook marketplace. I clearly write, don't message me with is it available. Tell me you want it and I will reply with the address. So what does everyone do? Yep, us the auto is it available reply.

Back when I managed my rentals, I got stuck with a lot of stuff when tenants moved out. I'd put an ad on craigslist under free. It was gone in under 30 minutes, easy peasy. I declare that using facebook is making people stoopider. How else can you explain the idiocity?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I'm giving away some decent furniture. Right now I'm trying to get rid of a wood rocking chair. It's too good to just trash.

I put an ad on facebook marketplace. I clearly write, don't message me with is it available. Tell me you want it and I will reply with the address. So what does everyone do? Yep, get the auto is it available reply.

Back when I managed my rentals, I got stuck with a lot of stuff when tenants moved out. I'd put an ad on craigslist under free. It was gone in under 30 minutes, easy peasy. I declare that using facebook is making people stoopider. How else can you explain the idiocity?

SamSpade

I put an ad on facebook marketplace. I clearly write, don't message me with is it available. Tell me you want it and I will reply with the address. So what does everyone do? Yep, us the auto is it available reply.

Exposure? Craigslist is searchable by millions, which means someone within DRIVING distance has seen it.
Facebook marketplace is a crap shoot - and for example, I am not driving to Florida for a free rocking chair, but I might drive to Hollywood or Wildewood.

Clem72

I have managed to go 30+ years buying/selling stuff online (yep, I did so on nntp newsgroups in the early 90s) and never got ripped off until this year. Facebook marketplace.

Needed an accessory for a piece of medical equipment, just so happened there was a reasonably priced one not too far away but far enough I wanted it shipped. 10+ year old facebook account that looked active, lots of odds and ends for sale (mostly 80s toys you might find at a garage sale).

Facebook wont let me use a credit card to pay, must be debit. I don't like this because debit cards don't have the same legal protections.

Decided it was worth the risk even though I was leery, end up paying via facebook. The next day their account is deleted and facebook says there's nothing they can do. Then I try to dispute the charge with my bank and they say since I authorized sending the money to facebook, nothing they can do. So i'm out $250.

Not the end of the world, but I will follow my gut from now on and I will stick to my guns of never, ever using a debit card for anything except ATM cash withdrawals.