Fake news can lead to false memories, new study claims

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Voters could form false memories after seeing fabricated news stories if those articles align with their existing political beliefs, according to newly released results of a 2018 study.

Researchers recruited 3,140 eligible voters online and asked them how they planned to vote in the 2018 referendum legalizing abortion in Ireland. The voters were presented with six news reports, two of which were made-up stories that depicted campaigners on either side of the issue engaging in illegal or inflammatory behavior. After reading each story, participants were asked if they had heard about the event in the story before, and if they had, whether they had specific memories about it.

"In highly emotional, partisan political contests, such as the 2020 U.S. presidential election, voters may 'remember' entirely fabricated news stories," said lead author Gillian Murphy of University College Cork in a press statement. "In particular, they are likely to 'remember' scandals that reflect poorly on the opposing candidate."

Nearly half of the respondents reported a memory for at least one of the made-up events; many of them recalled significant details about a totally fabricated news story. According to researchers, the people in favor of legalizing abortion were more likely to remember a falsehood about the referendum opponents, while those against legalization were more likely to remember a falsehood about the proponents.

The study also found that participants failed to reconsider their memory even after learning that some of the information could be fictitious. And several participants recounted details that the false news reports did not include.

"This demonstrates the ease with which we can plant these entirely fabricated memories, despite this voter's suspicion and even despite an explicit warning that they may have been shown fake news," Murphy explained.

Tech

False news can lead to fake memories too. I remember all too well when Tom Brokaw and I were shot down in Vietnam, Brian Williams and myself were trying to defend the chopper when POOF, George Patton showed up.
You once told me it was Teddy and the rough riders that showed up. Must be a false memory.😁

Hijinx

False news can lead to fake memories too. I remember all too well when Tom Brokaw and I were shot down in Vietnam, Brian Williams and myself were trying to defend the chopper when POOF, George Patton showed up.

I was flying the chopper that day we had to fly away with one rotor blade missing. Vibrated terribly.

Chris0nllyn

PEOPLE AGED 65 AND older are almost four times more likely to share fake news on social media than younger people and were responsible for spreading much more of the disinformation during the 2016 presidential campaign, new research says.

According to a study published Wednesday in the journal Science Advances, 11 percent of people aged 65 and older shared fake news on Facebook during the 2016 presidential election, while only 3 percent of people aged 18 to 29 shared falsities. Additionally, more older people also shared fake news than those aged 45 to 65.
https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...ceptible-to-fake-news-more-likely-to-share-it

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
I'm going to have to verify all this by sharing it on Fakebook, and doing a Goebbels search. I'm sure they'll tell me what they want me to think the truth is.

This_person

For those folks, there was a halcyon period of journalism where being a yellow journalist was considered a bad thing, not something that got you a prime-time slot on cable for multi-million dollar salaries. Because of that period, those older folks likely think it's likely the news they're hearing is valid.

Today, unless you watched it happen yourself, you are almost assured to hear a spin about what happened, not what happened. Today, it takes a great deal of effort to sift through news from multiple sources to try and piece together a coherent view of what happened, and most people won't do that. Most people can't tell you who the House Speaker is, let alone the Minority Whip. Hell, most can't tell you WHAT a whip is, let alone who it is. They want to hear about some salacious comment, not news. More pictures of Speaker Pelosi unprofessionally demeaning the president with her condescending clapping were out there, and stories about that, than anything said during the SOTU speech. More pictures of women in Klan outfits, or whatever they were trying to show, existed and stories about that than the speech content as well. If you watch CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, or PBS you are likely to believe the president gave a speech about himself as rows of missiles passed by on Independence Day than knowing what really happened. If you're public-school educated, you can't explain the difference between the United States and other countries on what freedom means and why we're different.

I would love to go back to those halcyon days.