Fall/Winter Dinners

Lump

I absolutely love to cook but I am tired of summer dinners. I am sooooo looking forward to fall/winter dinners. I especially love one pot meals and soups. Anyone have any great recipes that they want to share?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bring on the hearty meals!

I don't cook for real anymore, but one of my old favorites was good ol' fashioned chicken and dumplings. I use leftover rotisserie chicken, homemade stock, and whatever veggies sound good to me at the time, then make Bisquick dumplings using the recipe on the box. YUM!

Heck, I might make that now - I can use the Instant Pot....

Lump

I love Bisquick Dumplings!!!! That is on my list for sure.

This weekend I'm making a Smoked Sausage/Kale and Bean Soup for lunches next week and probably a Pork Stew loaded with big chunks of veggies. Also can't wait to make the first Pot Roast of the season.

"I don't cook for real anymore" I can't believe that. You used to be a big old foodie like me. Always looking for the newest gadgets and stuff!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This weekend I'm making a Smoked Sausage/Kale and Bean Soup

That sounds really good.

"I don't cook for real anymore" I can't believe that. You used to be a big old foodie like me. Always looking for the newest gadgets and stuff!

I live in a motorhome now with no counter space and it's a hassle. But right now I'm in northern New Mexico where it's cold and rainy, and sausage/kale/bean soup sounds delicious.

I like a basic pot roast. A good cut of chuck, braise it in olive oil, add a half packet of Lipton onion/mushroom dry soup mix, cover with water and simmer for a few hours. Check the water level, don't let it boil off. About a half hour before it's done, add the 'taters, onion and carrots. Use the broth to make a really good gravy.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
mmm I think I'm going to add sausage kale bean soup to my list for next week too.

https://thefoodcharlatan.com/slow-cooker-basil-chicken-in-coconut-curry-sauce/
^this is one of our TOP family dinners. You can make it as spicy or as mild as you like. But from Fall to early Spring, I probably make this at least every other week. It is so easy too. I serve it over jasmine rice.

http://littlespicejar.com/creamy-chicken-wild-rice-soup-slow-cooker/
^another favorite. Serving it with a slice of sourdough bread is a must. It freezes well too.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I do similar as Jazz does. I take a frozen solid roast and put it in the crock pot. Add my veggies and cook on low all day. Fork tender when ready.

Bobwhite

I absolutely love to cook but I am tired of summer dinners. I am sooooo looking forward to fall/winter dinners. I especially love one pot meals and soups. Anyone have any great recipes that they want to share?

4 cups of chicken broth (the box that Swanson comes in is 4 cups).

1 block of cream cheese

1 large can of diced tomatoes (I think the weight is 1 lb and some ounces)

1 roll of sausage (I used Jimmy Dean and mixed regular sausage with hot sausage)

1 bag of frozen tortellini

1 small bag of spinach.

I used a cookie scoop to form meat balls from the sausage and baked them in the oven. You can cook it in a skillet and break the meat up as it cooks. Chunk up the cream cheese and throw the whole mess in a crockpot and cook for 5 to 6 hours.

I didn’t want to fool with making the soup the night before the event, so, on Sunday, I cooked the sausage, put it in a zip lock freezer bag with the chicken broth and tomatoes and put it in the freezer.

Lump

I do similar as Jazz does. I take a frozen solid roast and put it in the crock pot. Add my veggies and cook on low all day. Fork tender when ready.
I have never stared with it frozen...... I never would have thought it would cook in time.

Lump

4 cups of chicken broth (the box that Swanson comes in is 4 cups).

1 block of cream cheese

1 large can of diced tomatoes (I think the weight is 1 lb and some ounces)

1 roll of sausage (I used Jimmy Dean and mixed regular sausage with hot sausage)

1 bag of frozen tortellini

1 small bag of spinach.

I used a cookie scoop to form meat balls from the sausage and baked them in the oven. You can cook it in a skillet and break the meat up as it cooks. Chunk up the cream cheese and throw the whole mess in a crockpot and cook for 5 to 6 hours.

I didn’t want to fool with making the soup the night before the event, so, on Sunday, I cooked the sausage, put it in a zip lock freezer bag with the chicken broth and tomatoes and put it in the freezer.
This sounds REALLY interesting

Lump

I have two favorite go to meals. One is a Sausage/Bean and Tomato stew, cassoulet type of thing and another uses Sausage/Chicken/Potatoes and Onions.

I can post them tomorrow if anyone is interested. Just don't have them here at work:)

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have never stared with it frozen...... I never would have thought it would cook in time.
I put it together the night before. Pop and plug in the morning about 530-6am. By the time I get home around 3-4 it’s done.

Lump

O.K. One more..... Can you tell I'm really getting excited and I seem to REALLY like sausage.

Lima Bean and Sausage Soup

1 bag dry large Lima Bean (soak overnight)
1 Tube Hot Breakfast Sausage
2 Medium Potatoes cut into cubes
1 large onion Chopped
1 or 2 cans of Rotel Tomatoes

Put a little oil in bottom of large pot and add Lima beans, fill with water to cover beans
Add Potatoes and Onion and Canned Tomatoes
Get it to a boil and then drop in pieces of raw sausage

Add salt and pepper ( I use red pepper flakes)

Let it simmer. Becomes thick as potatoes cook. (you may need to add a little more water as it cooks down. Also, stir frequently to prevent sticking)

As simple as can be but it's really awesome.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
O.K. One more..... Can you tell I'm really getting excited and I seem to REALLY like sausage.

I can't serve soup in my house unless it has some form of animal protein in it to count as a meal :duh:

Lima Bean and Sausage Soup

1 bag dry large Lima Bean (soak overnight)
1 Tube Hot Breakfast Sausage
2 Medium Potatoes cut into cubes
1 large onion Chopped
1 or 2 cans of Rotel Tomatoes

Put a little oil in bottom of large pot and add Lima beans, fill with water to cover beans
Add Potatoes and Onion and Canned Tomatoes
Get it to a boil and then drop in pieces of raw sausage

Add salt and pepper ( I use red pepper flakes)

Let it simmer. Becomes thick as potatoes cook. (you may need to add a little more water as it cooks down. Also, stir frequently to prevent sticking)

As simple as can be but it's really awesome.

This looks awesome. Plus I love finding new ways to torture my stepsons with lima beans. I personally love them 😋

Lump

I can't serve soup in my house unless it has some form of animal protein in it to count as a meal :duh:

Same with me. My husband only wants meat and potatoes. No veggies. Luckily he's away a few weeks out of the year and then I get my fill of GOOD STUFF

This looks awesome. Plus I love finding new ways to torture my stepsons with lima beans. I personally love them 😋

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I love hearty soup weather. I pack them in individual servings and it's easy to pop them in the nukerowave for a quick meal. I'm bookmarking this thread....

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
^This^ Put the veggies in the bottom, season well, plop the seasoned roast on top, and let it go on low all day. Perfect! And it makes its own broth, so you can use it for making gravy if so desired.

This is another favorite pot roast recipe. I brought the leftovers to work, reheated it in the microwave, and there was buzz going on what the heavenly smell was. :lol:

My plan this weekend is to make one of these or make my own concoction by melding the two: