Family Bike Riding

JMILL24

Cubscout MoM
My husband and I have been toying with the idea of getting bikes this summer so we can ride with our boys (4 & 9). So here is the problem, where do we ride them? I don't want my kids riding on any main roads with little to no shoulders. It's unlikely we'll ever be able to ride them without taking the boys. So where do we go? If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'm thinking Day trips, but we could go camping somewhere out of state if they had a good set up for biking. Thanks for the input!

EASTERBUNNY77

My husband and I have been toying with the idea of getting bikes this summer so we can ride with our boys (4 & 9). So here is the problem, where do we ride them? I don't want my kids riding on any main roads with little to no shoulders. It's unlikely we'll ever be able to ride them without taking the boys. So where do we go? If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'm thinking Day trips, but we could go camping somewhere out of state if they had a good set up for biking. Thanks for the input!

Indian Head Rail Trail | Maryland Trails | TrailLink.com

Caveman314

The northern section of the Three Notch Trail is pretty nice as well, if quite short. You can park at the Charlotte Hall Library and check out the amish market as well.

If you don't mind traveling a longer distance, the C&O canal towpath runs from DC to Cumberland 186 miles total. Pick a reasonable section to ride. And if you want to make it an overnight trip, there's there's a hostel in Harpers Ferry. Also, past Harpers Ferry, there are camp sites located along the trail every ten miles or so. The C&O Canal Bicycling Guide - Welcome! is a good resource on the trail.

If you're looking for a place to buy bikes and live in Charles Co. I recommend the Bike Doctor in Waldorf. The bikes they sell are better than the cheap crud at Target and Wal-mart, they let you try out any bike you'd like, and the staff could probably also direct you to a few other trails.

/Cave

The northern section of the Three Notch Trail is pretty nice as well, if quite short. You can park at the Charlotte Hall Library and check out the amish market as well.

If you don't mind traveling a longer distance, the C&O canal towpath runs from DC to Cumberland 186 miles total. Pick a reasonable section to ride. And if you want to make it an overnight trip, there's there's a hostel in Harpers Ferry. Also, past Harpers Ferry, there are camp sites located along the trail every ten miles or so. The C&O Canal Bicycling Guide - Welcome! is a good resource on the trail.

If you're looking for a place to buy bikes and live in Charles Co. I recommend the Bike Doctor in Waldorf. The bikes they sell are better than the cheap crud at Target and Wal-mart, they let you try out any bike you'd like, and the staff could probably also direct you to a few other trails.

/Cave

Agree with the C&O canal. You can start around Great Falls and it's nice and flat. All dirt and you can see the river a lot.

Agree with the C&O canal. You can start around Great Falls and it's nice and flat. All dirt and you can see the river a lot.

Gets a little rugged in Georgetown... :lol: Lots of places where it's just too easy to fall in the canal.

There are tons of biking trails in DC all leading to great places. Google 'bike trails in dc".