family cars

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Chrysler designed the VW Routan just some fyi. I'm trying to talk my sister into getting the Routan and join the vdub club =)

When it was Daimler Chrysler?

Hard to believe a German Car company would ask Dodge for design pointers.

I mean that would be like Harley going to Germany to engineer.. oh, wait..

glhs837

Power with Control
They didnt "ask them for design tips", its actually badge engineering. I dont know what influence Daimler had in the minivans, unlike the LX vehicles (Charger, 300C and Magnum), where most of it was repurposed C and E class stuff.

In any case, its built in the same factory as the Chrysler ones. VW just decided it was easier to just buy the best seller in the class than try to build one to compete.

nana

Nana
What are everyone's recommendations for the best family cars? Anyone looking to buy a new car or bump up to a bigger one? I've been working with Volkswagen as of late, and I got to test drive their new Routan two weeks back (the one from all the Brooke Shields commercials :lol:). It's probably the nicest minivan I've been in in years (I used to drive a 96' Dodge Caravan), so I just wanted to get some insight on what everyone else drives or is looking to drive to haul the fam around.

Go to Edmunds.com you can select up to 4 (i think) different vehicles or makes and it will give you a line by line comparision. You might even consider a small to mid-size SUV

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I have a Volvo S60 and am very pleased with it as a family car. Safe, reliable (mine is a 04 with 106K miles on it problem free other than having to get a dirty sensor cleaned :diva:), gets good gas mileage (drive from Lusby to Pax daily and to Waldorf at least once a week all on one tank of fuel) and is still kinda sporty. I got the base S60 but with all the ammenities. I wish I'd held out for the AWD but that'll be next.

Elle

Happy Camper!
I have a Malibu that comfortably fits a 10 year old, one high back booster seat and a car seat all in the back. I hate my car and want a new one soo bad I can taste it but it is paid for and everyone fits so I will just have to wait.

Kittykat33

Why me??
We just bought an 08 Trailblazer ( we are expecting our first baby in a month ). We also have a 4 door civic. We test drove the 09 Pilots, but my husband did not like it.

nana

Nana
We just bought an 08 Trailblazer ( we are expecting our first baby in a month ). We also have a 4 door civic. We test drove the 09 Pilots, but my husband did not like it.

I am surprised he didn't like the Pilot the new design is much roomier than before reminds more of the Tahoe etc size than before. The trailblazers are nice too. Did you get the xtended or reg whell base

itsbob

I bowl overhand
They didnt "ask them for design tips", its actually badge engineering. I dont know what influence Daimler had in the minivans, unlike the LX vehicles (Charger, 300C and Magnum), where most of it was repurposed C and E class stuff.

In any case, its built in the same factory as the Chrysler ones. VW just decided it was easier to just buy the best seller in the class than try to build one to compete.

Well, strike the Routan off of my list.

If I buy a VW, or an Audi, or a Porsche (or a BMW) it's because I LIKE the german engineering.

If I want a Dodge, I'll buy a Dodge.

M

Mousebaby

I suggest a charger, and not only because I have one but I have a family of 5 and we can take a trip to upstate New York very comfortably in it. It has the entertainment center in it for the kids and they can hook their video game machine up to the video system too. So I hardly ever hear a peep out of them. The trunk is cavernous and it has a 5 star crash rating. It had very high crash ratings all across the board and I like that, makes me feel safe putting my precious cargo in it. :howdy:

Elle

Happy Camper!
I suggest a charger, and not only because I have one but I have a family of 5 and we can take a trip to upstate New York very comfortably in it. It has the entertainment center in it for the kids and they can hook their video game machine up to the video system too. So I hardly ever hear a peep out of them. The trunk is cavernous and it has a 5 star crash rating. It had very high crash ratings all across the board and I like that, makes me feel safe putting my precious cargo in it. :howdy:

My friend has a charger and 2 under the age of 2 - it's tight to put two car seats back there and try to add her 3rd kid. While the trunk is large, once you put in a stroller there isn't much room for anything else.

I say go car shopping and when you test drive load everything you think you'll be carrying with you - car seat, stroller, diaper bag, etc. - load up the car and see how you like it.

My friend has a charger and 2 under the age of 2 - it's tight to put two car seats back there and try to add her 3rd kid. While the trunk is large, once you put in a stroller there isn't much room for anything else.

As the 3rd kid gets bigger won't it simply outgrow the need for the stroller thus making more room in the trunk for the kid...:shrug:

Kittykat33

Why me??
I am surprised he didn't like the Pilot the new design is much roomier than before reminds more of the Tahoe etc size than before. The trailblazers are nice too. Did you get the xtended or reg whell base

He said their were too many blind spots. No we got the reg and I LOVE IT!!

M

Mousebaby

I say go car shopping and when you test drive load everything you think you'll be carrying with you - car seat, stroller, diaper bag, etc. - load up the car and see how you like it.

Oh, well, I would then recommend their minivan! It was excellent for when I was in the carseat, stroller stage of my kids lives. I was not aware you were still in that stage.

Their minivans are highly rated in crash tests and mine was very dependable. I never had anything worse than a flat tire with that van for the 6 yrs. we owned it. Good Luck in your car search! :howdy:

DanceMom

What are everyone's recommendations for the best family cars? Anyone looking to buy a new car or bump up to a bigger one? I've been working with Volkswagen as of late, and I got to test drive their new Routan two weeks back (the one from all the Brooke Shields commercials :lol:). It's probably the nicest minivan I've been in in years (I used to drive a 96' Dodge Caravan), so I just wanted to get some insight on what everyone else drives or is looking to drive to haul the fam around.

I swear by my Nissan Mini-Van, we have all the bells and whistles, the kids like the moon roof and dvd player (played on for trips 45 minutes or more) and I love the back up video camera and the ease of the drive.

Terps

I swear by my Nissan Mini-Van, we have all the bells and whistles, the kids like the moon roof and dvd player (played on for trips 45 minutes or more) and I love the back up video camera and the ease of the drive.

The VW Routan actually has two separate TVs in the car, which is super convenient. Kids sitting in the second and third row can watch completely different things - they can even hook up a gaming system. So no more arguing about what to watch!

janey83

Twenty Something
Toyotas are NICE, long lasting, comfortable, etc. A Corolla or even a Rav 4 would be ideal.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the Charger.

glhs837

Power with Control
Is it the look, or something else? I ask because sometimes these things are based on misconceptions, or incorrect information.

Poohhunny1605

I ave a 2002 GMC Envoy and a 1 year old. I find that between all the toys, bags, strollers, pack n play, etc that I run out of room. It could just be because my boy is tall too. His legs are pretty close to the middle where the controls are. I can get a booster, carseat, and adult in my backseat, but it is tight.

I am thinking of getting the Toyota Avalon. I know it would be down grading, but I am thinking that the stroller, pack n play, etc, will not be traveling w/me except on special occassions. So, I'm thinking ahead and going to start test driving myself.

Good Luck w/your car hunt.