Farm animal phobia

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Two of my horses have it. So far.
My 4 y.o. almost ditched me Sunday because Norman the cow and Eeor the jackass, came to the fence to see her. They live in the paddock right down the road from our field. So my horses smell and hear them and can see them when they are at the end of the field. No excuses as far as I'm concerned. But noooo.
My 22 y.o. mare freaks in the same way. I haven't tried my 11 y.o. TB mare yet but I'm sure she will freeeek. She spooks at mini horses.
So I have a new guy, he was born in July. the latter horses foal...Should I lead him up the road to meet them? Or is it genetic?

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
appyday said:
Oh...donkeys are very scary to horses..I used to take my daughter to trail rides and she rode a donkey and everyones horse flipped out over him.

lol.. that's exactly what she spooked at. After I got her to the fence, she was grooming the cow. The jackass wouldn't come close enough... :rolleyes:

DQ2B

It's all about exposure. The more "stuff" your horse is exposed to better they deal with it. I'll never forget the day I went to look at one of my current horses. They led him into the aisle, cross-tied him and a large pot-bellied pig proceeded to walk underneath his belly. He never flinched. I knew that instant I was taking him home.

barncat

I definately agree that it's exposure. The 4 year old I'm riding spooks at the cows even though they live in the field next to her :rolleyes: She's getting better, I just hate when she turns into a firebreathing dragon that is crouching down ready to jump out of her skin. My old horse on the other hand was a complete ham, emus, cows, pigs, chickens, whatever it was, he kept his composure. I took him team penning back in his younger days and even played 'horse soccer' on him once when I invaded a desensitizing clinic. Now that I'm preggars I'm not taking the young horse out much, too much of a risk and it's too darn cold anyhow. I might pop over and take the old guy out for a ride, he takes excellent care of his mama.

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
Four*Leaf*Farm said:
Two of my horses have it. So far.
My 4 y.o. almost ditched me Sunday because Norman the cow and Eeor the jackass, came to the fence to see her. They live in the paddock right down the road from our field. So my horses smell and hear them and can see them when they are at the end of the field. No excuses as far as I'm concerned. But noooo.
My 22 y.o. mare freaks in the same way. I haven't tried my 11 y.o. TB mare yet but I'm sure she will freeeek. She spooks at mini horses.
So I have a new guy, he was born in July. the latter horses foal...Should I lead him up the road to meet them? Or is it genetic?

Thats (kinda) funny. My first Draft was scared to death of a Deer Decoy/Target (the kind good for Bow Practice). we'd come out of the woods walk along the road and there would be this Decoy sitting there, he would jump 3 feet sideways to get away from that SCAAAAAARRRRRY thing (lol).

My Newest draft seemed to be great (for me) until (like an Man who doesnt know any better) me and some buds were running down the road, and for some reason this (particular) Mailbox scared him, and had him jumping sideways. of course he passed 50 other mailboxes before and after this one with no problem. Like the 18h goofball that he is, he's terrified of an umbrella, but i guess thats normal.

My quarterhorse, was great on the Judged Ride SMTR had, except for one part, where there was this Mini-Stud (who would come charging at the fence to everyone waiting for that particular judged section). This QH is (normally) dead broke (to the point he's lazy) but for some reason that particular SCAAAAAARY mini-stud just frightened him. he's been around other studs with no problem, and doesnt mind my Daughters (almost) mini, i guess the combination of both was too much.

Its really funny/weird/odd what they become frightened of

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
barncat said:
... Now that I'm preggars I'm not taking the young horse out much, too much of a risk and it's too darn cold anyhow. I might pop over and take the old guy out for a ride, he takes excellent care of his mama.

That was me last winter, I thought I could take my old reliable out- thinking she would take a little better care of me when I was preggers.. She was prancin' 'round like a spring chicken. I hung up riding at 7 mos.

barncat

Four*Leaf*Farm said:
That was me last winter, I thought I could take my old reliable out- thinking she would take a little better care of me when I was preggers.. She was prancin' 'round like a spring chicken. I hung up riding at 7 mos.

Oh he has some spring in his step, when I rode him he always had a hump in his back and did cow kicks during the winter after you first got on, but he's all talk, he wouldn't hurt a baby. The boy never even bucked when I broke him, he was the perfect first horse for me.

I haven't been on in over a month and I'm only 4 months! It's hard during the holiday season to keep riding and since she's not doing any showing soon, what's the point. She needs to grow up some more, she has some Clyde in her. She has the basics down, having the winter and spring off won't hurt her. Besides, the 4 year old is not beyond the occassional buck and she's a big girl and can really get those legs up there when she wants to.