Farrier Recommendations

Ozzy

I have seen threads and posts on farriers and as expected they vary quite a bit on who’s good or not and what’s good or not. My goal is to help try to explain the owner/farrier relationship in order to get the best possible outcome for the client (your horse).

First I want to address the key factors in a well shod horse: Genetics; Nutrition/Care; Environment; Hoof Care and Maintenance

Genetics: Like all animals there are genetically superior and inferior aspects your horse can inherit (conformation ect). It is the job of the owner, vet, and farrier to recognize inferior aspects and address them accordingly. I would like to point out that horses genetically predisposed to hoof issues will be much more sensitive to the other three factors. This is what the horse brings to the table.

Nutrition/Care: This is key to building and growing the highest quality horn material that your horse can. Proper nutrition and a well cared for horse will look well developed and fit, have a nice shiny coat, and show both energy and purpose. This is a primary job of the owner to ensure that he/she understands the needs of the horse and has developed a proper nutrition/care plan. As an owner ensure you have an open line of communication with the vet, farrier, and caretaker and ask questions to obtain the best results for your horse.

Environment: A horse must be in an environment that will promote healthy hoof growth. This means pastures not mud and/or feed lots. Run in sheds and stalls should be well maintained, clean and dry. Address areas where the horses are prone to stand that become excessively muddy or accumulated manure and pee; areas like these are a breeding ground for bacteria and fungus and will affect the quality of the horn material. As well, during the fly season appropriate measures must be taken to address fly control to reduce stomping. This is a primary job of the owner, to ensure the caretaker provides the proper environment for the horse. As an owner ensure you know your horse’s living environment.

Hoof Care and Maintenance: This is the primary function of the farrier. Not just to service the horse on a schedule but to educate the owner on specific things they should be doing for maintenance between appointments as defined by the horses needs. As well, he/she should inform the owner of and address any irregularities at each appointment. In addition, the owner should share any irregularities good or bad that occur with the horses movement after or between cycles. As an owner one can’t make a farrier do the job he/she wants but one can and should know the basics of a well shod or trimmed hoof. In addition, I will point out a few things. A trim is a different task then trimming for shoes and depending on the horse the trim and fit of the shoes can vary. If your horse, isn’t moving well, you feel the feet just don't look right or look out of balance, its sore, has flares, cracks, poor horn quality, excessive chipping, etc.. at the very least talk to your farrier, vet and care provider, ask questions, and ensure that you are informed on all of the factors I have listed above of a well shod horse.

As a final note I want to address scheduling and professionalism, farriers provide service calls like most service calls the time of service can vary from appointment to appointment. For example if you need a cable service call they will say, be there between 10 and 2 or some range of hours. Now a farrier that does not notify the client they are running late or that they will not make it that day is definitely in the wrong. As for professionalism, if you want your farrier to treat you professionally treat him/her that way, present him/her with a client that has been prepared for service. This means there is a proper working area for the farrier and the horse has been caught, cleaned, hooves picked, mud removed prior to service, and maintain a consistent shoeing schedule.

If there is a positive response to this post I will be happy to answer questions and continue to post more detailed information, helpful tips, and links.

nutz

This means there is a proper working area for the farrier and the horse has been caught, cleaned, hooves picked, mud removed prior to service, and maintain a consistent shoeing schedule.

Would you mind expounding on this a bit? What do you think is a proper work area? I've never had a complaint from the farrier on cleanliness or hoof picking.

Our crew just gets pedicures so the consistent schedule we follow is 8weeks.

thanks for offering another perspective.

Ozzy

Ideally the work area will be clean level standing surface, dry, well lite, clear of obstacles, covered, and large enough to work safely around the horse. Bonus would be an outlet close by and cross ties if the horse stands well.

Having the horse on a clean level surface that is well lite allows the farrier to assess the overall conformation of the horse and balance of the hooves both before and after being shod. The farrier should be able to square the horse take a few steps back and examine the horse, derive a plan of action, perform the trim, square the horse, examine his/her work make any adjustments and either say good to go if just a trim or begin fitting the shoes.

The rest of the points are safety, weather related, and dry, clean, and outlets are very important if your horse needs studs, hoof wall or crack repair work, and/or glue-ons.

As for a dirty unpicked horse most farriers will not complain; however, it is not pleasant for the farrier when he/she arrives and the horses are covered in mud and the hooves are muddy and packed with trash. Dirty hooves dull rasps, nippers, and hoof knives and tend to show lack of maintenance between cycles. Like most service providers farriers will tend to provide the best service to those that show that the service is valued by presenting a well maintained clean and prepped horse for service.