Fat and fit

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-33646878

Women's Running magazine featured plus-size model Erica Schenk running on its August cover. The shot started a conversation about what it means to be athletic.

The image marked a departure for the athletic US magazine genre, which usually portrays ultra-fit models who represent an "aspirational" ideal.

Body image expert Harriet Brown, author of Body of Truth and Brave Girl Eating, says the photo of 18-year-old Schenk offers a different kind of message.

"This cover will empower and remind so many women that they don't have to be slender with six-packs to get out and do something positive for their health and well-being," Brown said. "The cover sends an unambiguous message that runners come in all shapes and sizes."

Attachments

• _84479249_ckykyqiweaaj4fa.jpg
    _84479249_ckykyqiweaaj4fa.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 631

bulldog

I do Crossfit and the first day I walked in to watch a class I saw several folks, both male and female that looked very similar to the person on the cover of the OP. I thought to myself "man, I wonder if they have a doctor's note to be here". A great lesson for me not to judge. Those folks are crazy fit. They run, they lift...heavy, they jump, they do pushups, pullups, muscle ups, etc.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I do Crossfit and the first day I walked in to watch a class I saw several folks, both male and female that looked very similar to the person on the cover of the OP. I thought to myself "man, I wonder if they have a doctor's note to be here". A great lesson for me not to judge. Those folks are crazy fit. They run, they lift...heavy, they jump, they do pushups, pullups, muscle ups, etc.

My first long run when I was in Little Creek I was paired up with a guy from another Platoon they called “Meat Ball”. I was okay with it being my first run. I’d run with the fat guy and kind of motivate him. 10 miles later Meat balls 6 minute miles got the better of me.

:bawl:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Finally, a plus size model who actually looks like she could be, you know, plus size. Usually they get these women who are size 12.

SamSpade

I was talking to my wife the other day mentioning that the most "fit" I ever was in my life was when I ran cross-country in high school. To this day I still cannot figure out how I was able to average running 12 miles a day.

That said, years later I worked as a carpenter - and was without a doubt, the slimmest I've ever been, the strongest and had the best muscle tone I've ever had. I didn't quite realize that it didn't matter as far as *fitness* was concerned, because even though I could lift my own weight - I still couldn't jog a single mile without getting out of breath. I looked good - back then I knew a few young women who would come by and chat, and it never occurred to me at all they were coming by to LOOK at me in t-shirt and shorts - but I had NO stamina when it came to running.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
but I had NO stamina when it came to running.

I could never run long distance. I was a sprinter in high school, and now I can power walk forever, but I can only run for about a minute before I need to stop. Running is hard on your body, anyway - not sure why they're still promoting it.

Like you, the fittest I've ever been is not the thinnest I've ever been. Women in particular equate skinny with fit, and that's not the way it goes.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I get it, I struggle as well. And currently im running 4-5 miles 2-3 times a week and haven't lost a pound because im not eating like I should be. Am I "fitter" than when I ran only 2-3 miles and was much, much thinner? Maybe. But I will tell you i'd much rather run when thinner and not take the abuse to my joints and feet.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I get it, I struggle as well. And currently im running 4-5 miles 2-3 times a week and haven't lost a pound because im not eating like I should be. Am I "fitter" than when I ran only 2-3 miles and was much, much thinner? Maybe. But I will tell you i'd much rather run when thinner and not take the abuse to my joints and feet.

I've traded in the dreadmill for the elliptical. It's a lot easier on my feet, hips, and lower back. What I did like about the dreadmill is that I could use hand weights while power walking and kill two birds with one stone. My new love is the balance trainer.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I've traded in the dreadmill for the elliptical. It's a lot easier on my feet, hips, and lower back. What I did like about the dreadmill is that I could use hand weights while power walking and kill two birds with one stone. My new love is the balance trainer.

that's why I switched to spinning. I can't run to save my life after many attempts at training myself and building up some kind of stamina for it. I take spin 2-3x a week and crossfit 3x a week. I'm probably the healthiest I've ever been in my life as I also follow paleo/low carb most of the time. Definitely far from the slimmest I've been though. In fact nothing is budging. It can be frustrating because I'm sure I get written off as unfit by people who don't know me and I want my hard work to show through. I'm sure I could push way harder but athleticism doesn't come naturally to me so for now I just remind myself that at least I feel great, and that alone is worth not giving up.

p.s. spinning is an awesome upper body/arms workout too :howdy:

SamSpade

I could never run long distance. I was a sprinter in high school, and now I can power walk forever, but I can only run for about a minute before I need to stop. Running is hard on your body, anyway - not sure why they're still promoting it.

Like you, the fittest I've ever been is not the thinnest I've ever been. Women in particular equate skinny with fit, and that's not the way it goes.

My wife has taken up - LONG walks. Since there are hills where we live, it's not unusual for her to walk for a couple of hours in the evening. She usually has a walking buddy, but sometimes her buddy doesn't last the whole walk. She's built up enough stamina that there's no way I'd survive a nightly walk with her now.

You know, you've heard that walking is the best exercise, and I've unwittingly found that to be true - every time we travel abroad, we lose weight WITHOUT dieting of any kind - simply because we MUST walk everywhere. (Well, THAT, and the convenience of snacking or the habit of eating larger meals late in the day are near impossible).

bulldog

that's why I switched to spinning. I can't run to save my life after many attempts at training myself and building up some kind of stamina for it. I take spin 2-3x a week and crossfit 3x a week. I'm probably the healthiest I've ever been in my life as I also follow paleo/low carb most of the time. Definitely far from the slimmest I've been though. In fact nothing is budging. It can be frustrating because I'm sure I get written off as unfit by people who don't know me and I want my hard work to show through. I'm sure I could push way harder but athleticism doesn't come naturally to me so for now I just remind myself that at least I feel great, and that alone is worth not giving up.

p.s. spinning is an awesome upper body/arms workout too :howdy:

:howdy:

Howdy fellow crossfitter. I'm assuming CrossfitPax. I mostly go to the 5:30 class, M-F.

PeoplesElbow

I can play basketball with people 100 lbs lighter than I am and they have to take a break far before I do. :shrug: