Fat Ponies and acorns

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Hey horsey crew, I have a quick question. My two smallish ponies have 5 acres to roam with a reasonable amount of grass but about half of it is covered with texas live oaks. I noticed the ponies are eating the green acorns which are currently falling like crazy. From what little I have been able to google up about acorn eating it seems it's not too dangerous unless that is all they are consuming. What do you all think about this, is it more dangerous than I suspect? They are already fat as little pigs even with almost no feed in their diet. :ohwell:

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
Hey horsey crew, I have a quick question. My two smallish ponies have 5 acres to roam with a reasonable amount of grass but about half of it is covered with texas live oaks. I noticed the ponies are eating the green acorns which are currently falling like crazy. From what little I have been able to google up about acorn eating it seems it's not too dangerous unless that is all they are consuming. What do you all think about this, is it more dangerous than I suspect? They are already fat as little pigs even with almost no feed in their diet. :ohwell:

My horses and donkey always make haste to the acorns when first let out in the morning. It's a treat for them to get the fallen acorns. They look around for them for a bit and then head to the fields for grazing. Like you said, it's ok if it's not the only source of food. The first horse I bought when I was very young was a starved ex-race horse that was in a little paddock and the only thing he had to eat was leaves and acorns. He wasn't anything like the horse I wanted but had to buy him because I felt so sorry for him. He turned out to be the best horse I ever had. Rest in Peace Coke Horse :sayingaprayerforallthehorsesinheaven:

Robin

I was looking in my toxic to horses guide and this is a simular statement.

Many toxic plants are not "equally poisonous" when growing under different conditions. Plants which may only be considered a nuisance near your home may be quite toxic in another locale. Your horse's appetite may also play a significant role. Hungry horses tethered or turned out under oak trees have been known to eat huge quantities of acorns, which are generally not a problem when consumed in small quantities, and the sudden loading of such unusual food had fatal consequences

Good Luck, I had a pony that would get out of any pasture or barn to hit the soybean field.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I have a lot of acorns in the front field. Mine eat them and I have never had a problem with any of them getting sick.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Too much of most anything isn't really good... I believe it's the tannin in the acorns that is toxic. But I think it may be when they have 'aged' a bit. I might be wrong tho.

DQ2B

Acorns contain tannic acid. I believe the green acorns (as opposed to brown) will have a higher tannic acid content. Some horses eat them and never have issues, others will show signs of a belly ache, hence colic if they eat too many.

Wait4It..boom

I'm glad you guys posted this. My friend has had some trouble with her horse colicing these last few weeks in the field. We're both wondering if there might be a link since the colic came out of nowhere really. Going hunting for acorns or other things possibly dropping from the trees he might be eating....

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Thanks for the input all. They seem to be taking the acorns ok, I see no signs of discomfort or colic. They were galloping around with my Aussie Shepherd today playing their usual game of chase and be chased with him. It figures these little chubs would find yet another source of calories since I cut their feed back on advice from the vet. They are both porky but the pretty paint one is round as a barrel just on sparse south texas grass.