Staff member
Date and Time: July 6, 2019 at 6:01 pm

Location: Ramp from Northbound I-270 to Westbound I-370, Montgomery County, MD

Vehicle(s): 2014 Harley Davidson MC

Type of Incident: Single vehicle motorcycle collision

Case Number: 19-MSP-028329

Victim: Jonathan M Thompson, 45 y/o male; Moraine, Ohio

Driver: Same as victim

Narrative: On 7/6/19 at 1801 hours, Troopers from the Rockville Barrack responded to the ramp from N/B I-270 to W/B I-370, for a reported single vehicle collision involving a motorcycle. As Troopers arrived on scene they observed a Harley Davidson MC bearing Ohio registration, on its side on the right shoulder. The operator of the motorcycle, identified by his Ohio driver’s license as Jonathan M Thompson, 2/M DOB: 8/16/73, was pronounced deceased at the scene by Montgomery County EMS personnel at 1804 hours. The passenger of the motorcycle was transported to an area hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Preliminary investigation revealed that the motorcycle was traveling on the ramp to I-370. As it took the ramp to continue on W/B I-370, the motorcycle traveled to the right shoulder and onto a gravel portion of the shoulder, striking two street signs and part of the guardrail face. Witnesses that remained on scene stated that an unidentified black passenger car cut off the motorcycle, causing it to travel onto the right shoulder. Witnesses stated that the passenger car did not strike the motorcycle. Witnesses were unable to provide any registration or operator description for the passenger car. Weather and alcohol are not believed to be a factor in this collision. Next of kin notification was made at approximately 8:45 pm. SHA Chart was on scene assisting with the closure of the ramp to W/B I-370, which was closed for approximately three and a half hours.

Any citizens who may have further information regarding this collision are asked to call the MSP Rockville Barrack.

Investigating Trooper: TFC S. Matthews (Recon) – MSP Prince Frederick

Tpr J. Park – MSP Rockville

Phone Number: 301-424-2101

[ This article originally appeared here ]