Fauxcahontas Clueless As Ever

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Elizabeth Warren slams corporate greed for chip shortage

The senator went on to note that five manufacturers control 54 percent of the global semiconductor market and argued that those conditions create a near-monopoly, allowing companies to jack up prices.

As semiconductor chips become harder to find, major car companies like Ford and General Motors have had to reduce the number of cars they manufacture and raise prices accordingly.

Warren specifically called out Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., which sells to major tech companies including Apple and Nvidia, as well as “cutting-edge” chip maker ASML.

“So while dominant semiconductor companies like TSMC and ASML post massive profits and reward shareholders,” she wrote, “consumers are harmed by shortages and higher prices.”

While Warren blamed corporations for the chip shortage, others point to external factors like COVID-19 and global supply chain issues.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
5 Reasons Why the World is in Chip Shortage

1. Supply and demand Imbalance

On the supply side, TSMC, Samsung, Intel, there are just very few companies in the world that can do advanced processes. Once demand surges, they are overwhelmed by this kind of sweet burden.

On the demand side, almost all electronic products need chips. Such as Sony PS5 game console, Bitcoin mining machine (graphics GPU), MCU unit on car, mobile phone chip (SOC), new energy vehicle power chip (IGBT), as well as consumer Bluetooth headsets, wifi, drones Chips, etc.

In short, only a few companies can make it, but thousands of companies are eager for it.

2. Raw materials are in short supply

8-inch and 12-inch wafers are the main material to make chip. However, according to the report that published by IC Insights, global semiconductor manufacturers have closed or reused 100 fabs since 2009, causing TSMC, SMIC, Samsunsg, etc.to fall into the predicament of cooking with no rice.

3. Panic - scramble to stock up

4. Misfortune - natural disasters and man-made disasters join in the fun

5. Time - chip is not Internet that can be born out through an idea plus capital-won users

Hijinx

They do have a near monopoly.
Not everyone has the technical knowledge or the ability to produce these chips.
It isn't like Joe Schmoe can start producing these things in his basement.
The machinery and hiring of technicians and manufacturing process costs Billion and Joe, just aint got that kind of bread.

Reactions: BOP

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
With everything Elon has his hands in, I would have thought a chip plant in the US would have been high on his list.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
With everything Elon has his hands in, I would have thought a chip plant in the US would have been high on his list.
He was probably smart enough to recognize the massive losses incurred by various huge chip manufacturers in the far east that took HUGE losses when the prices for RAM etc plunged some years ago.

glhs837

Power with Control
He was probably smart enough to recognize the massive losses incurred by various huge chip manufacturers in the far east that took HUGE losses when the prices for RAM etc plunged some years ago.

And of course, between EVs and spaceships and tunneling and brain implants, a bit busy......

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Elon Musk Responds To Elizabeth Warren Spending Thousands On Facebook Ads Attacking Him

All six ads feature a graphic that included a black and white picture of Musk, calling him in red a “FREELOADING BILLIONAIRE,” claiming that he “AVOIDS TAXES” and that he “MADE OVER $200B IN THE PANDEMIC.”

The ad concludes by stating: “IT’S TIME FOR A WEALTH TAX.”

The six ads differed in the captions that they featured, which included the following:
  • “Thin-skinned freeloader Elon Musk is whining like a baby because I want him to pay his fair share in taxes. Sign up today to make sure that my colleagues in the Senate know that you’re on board to pass a wealth tax and hold billionaires accountable.”
  • “Let’s make one thing clear: we need to change our tax laws to stop Elon Musk from freeloading off of everyday Americans. But when I point out the obvious, he whines like a baby. Will you sign on today to tell my colleagues in Congress to pass a wealth tax in America?”
  • “Let’s make one thing clear: we need to change our tax laws to stop Elon Musk from freeloading off of everyday Americans. But when I point out the obvious, he whines like a baby. Will you chip in $10 to help Warren Democrats pass a wealth tax, keep the 1% in check and fight for working people?”
  • “Elon Musk is whining like a baby to his millions of Twitter followers. He must be scared because he knows what every other billionaire in America does: that he’s been freeloading off of working people, and that I won’t back down from a fight. Will you chip in $10 to help Warren Democrats pass a wealth tax, keep the 1% in check and fight for working people?”
  • “Elon Musk has gotten more than $250 billion dollars richer during the pandemic, and when I ask him to pay his fair share in taxes, he whines like a baby. Will you chip in $10 to help Warren Democrats pass a wealth tax, keep the 1% in check and fight for working people?”
  • “SIGN UP TODAY>>> Let’s make one thing clear: we need to change our tax laws to stop Elon Musk from freeloading off of everyday Americans. Will you sign on today to tell my colleagues in Congress to pass a wealth tax in America?”

:twitch:

That's all Warren can do call Musk a whiny baby