Favorite boxer and best boxing match

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I was more in tune to the boxing scene in the 80s. They had many great boxers and fights back then. It seems that MMA has siphoned off some of boxing's lustre.

Marvin Hagler was 1 of my favorites to watch. He fought as a middleweight (160 lb limit) and was a solid built boxer that could hit hard. He defended his title 12 times, taking on all challengers. He was 62 - 3 - 2 with 52 KOs. He avenged both his draws and 1 of this losses with wins in later bouts. He got robbed in his last fight with Ray Leonard.

mmhagler2.jpg

Most Mike Tyson fights when Kevin Rooney was in his corner were always exciting. Iron Mike's defense was incredible but he was always known as a big puncher.

The first Aaron Pryor/ Alexis Arguello was another exciting fight. 14 rounds of sheer brutality.

Midnightrider

I was more in tune to the boxing scene in the 80s. They had many great boxers and fights back then. It seems that MMA has siphoned off some of boxing's lustre.

Marvin Hagler was 1 of my favorites to watch. He fought as a middleweight (160 lb limit) and was a solid built boxer that could hit hard. He defended his title 12 times, taking on all challengers. He was 62 - 3 - 2 with 52 KOs. He avenged both his draws and 1 of this losses with wins in later bouts. He got robbed in his last fight with Ray Leonard.

View attachment 103246

Most Mike Tyson fights when Kevin Rooney was in his corner were always exciting. Iron Mike's defense was incredible but he was always known as a big puncher.

The first Aaron Pryor/ Alexis Arguello was another exciting fight. 14 rounds of sheer brutality.

gotti v ward, all three events were good fights

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Vassiliy Jirov...best fight Emanuel Augustus vs Micky Ward but I bet I could come up with a top 10 easy. I still watch every Friday Night fights and every big name title fight. Last week’s Froch Vs Groves was a spectacle and I'll watch Cotto Vs Martinez this weekend.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Chuck Wepner, aka The Bayonne Bleeder.

Went 15 rounds with Ali in '75. Wepner was the inspiration for Rocky, and while he may not have actually knocked Ali down in the 9th, it sure looked impressive.

Hank

my war
Sugar Ray Leonard is my favorite and his fights with Roberto Duran and Thomas Hearns were epic.

Shutout

It is difficult to pick one fighter. When I was really follwoing the sport closely many from that era come to mind. Carlos Palomio, Wilfredo Benitez, Duran, Sugar Ray, Mancinni, Hagler, and Hearns but I will go with Alexis Arguello. My favortie fight was Michael Weaver versus "big John" Tate. Tate was winning the fight and took some heat in the last few rounds, with Weaver knocking him out in the 15th round.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

View attachment 103246

Not that I've ever actually seen him fight, but Joe Louis. He knocked out undefeated Max Baer in four rounds to get home to the girl he married earlier that day. BTW Max Baer was Jethro Bodine's (Beverly Hillbilly') father.