Favorite Cold Weather Recipes

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Spicy Slow Cooker Beef Barley Vegetable Stoup/Stewp

1 lb stew beef cut into cubes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 qt reduced salt beef stock (this may be increased to adjust for personal preference)
2 cups spicey V-8 juice or 3-5oz cans (substitute original V-8 as needed to control heat)*
1 lg onion
1 cup sliced celery hearts w/leaves
1.5-2 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (1/2 normal sized head)
1/4 cup quick barley (1/2 for less broth)
2 - 12oz packages mixed vegetables
1 tsp salt (adjust as needed)
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Brown beef and onions on stove top. Add all ingredients (except barley and frozen vegatables) to slow cooker set to high for 4-5 hours. Add frozen vegs and quick barley. Cook another hour +/- until barley and vegetables are tender. I'm not fond of watery soup and this recipe as a good example. Liquids of choice may be added to change consistency.

I believe recipes are like speed limits, in that they're just suggestions. As everything in life, personal preferences override the rules. I discovered stewps by accident. I was following my mother's chicken noodle soup recipe but misread the instructions. I added uncooked egg noodles (Kluski noodles rock!) to my simmering pot and watched as they preceded to suck up all the broth. Wouldn't add water for fear of it tasting "off". My daughter was about 4 at the time and absolutely loved it this way, so that's when I switched to making stewps.

*Thanks frequentflier for the spicy V-8 idea

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
If anyone sees something questionable, please point it out for explanation and/or editing.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Tater tot casserole is STILL a favorite of my sons! :getdown:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
And this is a recipe in who's world?

C'mon missy, at least give up the ingredient list, temp, and cook time!
Tater Tot Casserole

2 lbs. extra lean
ground beef
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup grated cheddar cheese ( I use extra)
1 pkg. (2lb) Frozen tater tots

Pat ground beef in bottom of greased 13x9x2 in. pan. Spread soup over meat and cover with grated cheese. Top with tater tots. Bake at 350° covered 45 minutes and uncovered 15 minutes.
Serves 8 to 10

*You can adjust this to 1lb. extra lean gr. beef – use ½ or ¾ can of soup & just use as much grated cheese as you would like. I just layer the tater tots on top until it’s covered.

wittykitty

My favorite cold weather recipe is an eye round roast, seared on the stove top, then covered and baked at 350° for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes in the oven, turn off oven and leave roast in oven for another 30 minutes or so. This will leave a pink center.
Serve with cream of asparagus and a roll.

limblips

PREMO Member
I have many but this is my goto one pot 30 minute recipe. Unstuffed cabbage rolls. I use 1 lb of bulk Italian sausage and 1 lb of ground beef plus I add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to add a little heat.

wittykitty

That sounds so easy. I wonder what would happen if I tried it?
I had my thoughts mixed with another recipe. That’s actually for seared and roasted chicken. Don’t know how I got those mixed up🤔

Anyway, Eye Round Roast: I season it and put in 475° oven, uncovered, and cook for about 45 minutes. At that point, leave the oven door closed, turn off the oven, and allow to cook for another 2.5 hours. Whatever you do, resist the urge to open your oven door! It will turn out medium to medium rare.
It’s foolproof, and so good! I double checked my recipe notes. We’re good. You can trust this one.

PJay

I have many but this is my goto one pot 30 minute recipe. Unstuffed cabbage rolls. I use 1 lb of bulk Italian sausage and 1 lb of ground beef plus I add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to add a little heat.

This way is so much easier!