Favorite Droid Apps

BigSlam123b

Only happy When It Rains
Meridian media player, Doggcatcher for Podcast, and TuneIn Radio for all of the OTA radio station goodness you could ever want.

ylexot

Super Genius
LauncherPro
Widget Locker
Catch
Waze
Beautiful Widgets
Weatherbug
OurGroceries
Droid48
Folder Organizer
Google Sky Map
Lookout
Google Reader
Slacker
Tricorder
z4root

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Before you do anything download an app killer..it will help your battery life a ton..I use advanced task killer free..and it does fine for my purposes. Don't download a bunch of stuff cuz it sounds neat, they drain your battery life and so many of them run in the background constantly. Look through the market's "top" lists and that's where the most popular ones are. I don't download much..but pandora is pretty cool, and right now I have an awesome christmas tree live wallpaper, and a neat countdown widget for the baby :yahoo: plus mabillo for ringtones, they have everything!

And before you download an app or widget, read the "comments" section ..people will tell you the pros and cons, and whether it does what it says it does.

glhs837

Power with Control
dont know if I would recommend LauncherPro for a no tech type:)

Advanced Task Killer - Active but unused apps drain your battery power, this one kills ones your not using.

Angry Birds - Free game, fantastic time killer. If you dont try it, you are going to end badly:)

Astro File Manager - Manages files, oddly enough:)

CamCard - Uses camera and OCR (optical character recognition) to scan businees cards and add them automatically to your contacts

Cardio Trainer - tracks workouts, biking, walking/running/rowing, kayaking by duration and speed, saves workouts and maps of same using googlemaps.

Droidlight - turns on the LED camera flash for a decent little falshlight

Google Search Widget - Keeps a search bar for Google, and its voice search funtion, resident on your desktop.

LookOut - Backs up your phones data, scans downloads for viruses, and allows you to track your phones current GPS location via any comuter. Guy in NJ got carjacked, used Lokout to tell police where his car was, they got the car in seven minutes. Also lets you remotely wipe the data on the phone in case it ends up in the wrong hands.

Photobucket - Upload right from phone to PB, nice and simple.

Tip Calaulator - allows fast multiperson tip calcs.

UPS mobile - nice in the holiday season:)

Banking apps - depnds on your bank, but very nice if the do.

Zillow - Great real estate app, can show you on the map where houses are, and one touch nav to that house.

jsouthan

Some of my favorites are:

Angry Birds (there is a holiday edition, too)
PhoneFlicks (manage your Netflix queue)
Fandango (you can find movies at the local theater and purchase tickets, too)
WeatherBug
FoodFinder (lists all restaurants, or just those in a particular category, around you)
Flashlight
Key Ring (load all of your store loyalty cards' bar codes into this app)
NFL Mobile
CalorieCounter (great to help you keep track of calorie intake, as well as calories burned through exercise)

glhs837

Power with Control
I have found Keyring to be more use in theory than in practice. since it can only be scanned by a single laser scanner, most places, that requires you to have them scan the phone with the hand wand, and explaining that is a chore, and a lot of times, it just doesnt scan.

Blockbuster, for instance, only has one scanner that can read it.

somdcelt

Wheres my Droid
Radar Droid = I used on travel it nailed every speed cam in Phoenix area not as much luck local Redlight Cams
Scanner Radio = when you need a scanner fix on the road to see whats going on
PDAnet = Tethers the phone to your laptop to surf the internet for all those sites your not suppose to go to at work like Email
Acar = Lets you set up nice tracking data base for your cars and maintance and stuff
Handy Cards = Loads all those dam bonus cards and stuff you have to scan at every store works great so far every place has been able to read it if you make the screen little brighter
G Strings = Guitar Tuner
Flight Stats = Keep Track of your flights and gate changes
Astro = File Manager

Something I am looking for is a app to stop pocket dialing , I want to find something that will ask me before I make a call , Any Suggestions

somdcelt

Duh , Screen lock I am a bonehead some times , normally on the Eris you touch the red shut down button to close the screen to lock it that works great its those times when you hang up a call and leave the call list or what ever up and your crazy finger just happens to touch that call button by mistake. The next thing you know you made a call , same thing if you shove the phone in your pocket. Guess I need change screens back to home screen or hit the shut down button for a second

glhs837

Power with Control
I have just developed the habit of tapping the power button every time I put the phone in a pocket. Just have to get used to it. Bob, for a non Froyo (Version 2.2 of Android) phone, Gingerbread wil make a lot of changes, but your first gen Droid should have already Froyo on it, it was a pushed update maybe a month ago.

Changes for us to GB wont be radical, more evolutionary in form. Heres the best writeup I have seen.

A Busy Day for Android - Nexus S and Gingerbread (2.3) Officially Announced - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Looks good to me.

nomoney

coupons - gives you all current new store coupons and cheapest gas prices in your area
nook - e reader for barnes and noble (there's a kindle one too)
Ringdroid - can take any song you download and make it into a ringtone (chops and edits however you want)
mp3 music download - free song downloads
TiKl-Touch- turns your phone into a touch to talk phone (think nextel)