Favorite Pasta Salads

SailorGirl

My favorite summer meal. Doesn't take that long to make and there's enough to split with my mother and oldest child who'd rather not cook. I'm looking to expand with new recipes though - I've got a good Italian, southwestern, chicken Caesar, and a chicken and red grape (which is really good) but I'm thinking maybe ranch chicken, chipotle chicken, and a barbecue chicken sound interesting. I'm not good at experimenting. Anyone got a favorite they're willing to share?

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Cherry Tomato Orzo Salad on plate

About this orzo pasta salad. It’s excellent! Like a Greek salad with orzo pasta and without olives. Though you could easily add olives to this orzo salad if you wanted to.
You could probably make this orzo salad into a with quinoa salad by using it instead of the orzo, though I haven’t tried it that way yet. And if you like this orzo salad, maybe you’ll want to plant some cherry tomatoes in your garden too. (I recommend Sun Golds.)

Cherry Tomato Orzo Salad Recipe
Print
  • Prep time: 15 minutes
  • Cook time: 15 minutes
  • Yield: Serves 8-10 as a side
INGREDIENTS
  • 8 ounces orzo pasta
  • Salt
  • 1 pint red cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
  • 1 pint yellow cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1 large cucumber, peeled and chopped
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 Tbsp minced fresh oregano
  • Juice of a lemon
  • Black pepper to taste
METHOD
1 Cook orzo pasta in salted water: Bring a large pot of well salted water to a rolling boil. Add the orzo, stirring it so that it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Cook, uncovered, at a high boil until al dente, cooked through but still a bit firm.
Drain the pasta (it helps to use a fine mesh sieve for this as the small orzo might pass through holes in a colander), and rinse with cold water to stop the pasta from cooking further.
2 Toss pasta with olive oil, tomatoes, feta, cucumber, green onions, oregano, lemon juice, pepper: Toss the pasta with the olive oil in a large bowl. At this point you can make ahead and chill until you are ready to serve (or transport to a party).
Toss with the rest of the ingredients, the tomatoes, feta cheese, cucumber, green onions, oregano, lemon juice, and black pepper. The feta is salty so you shouldn't need to add more salt.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cherry_tomato_orzo_salad/

I add sliced black olives, yum!

Any time I'm looking for a recipe, this is the site I use. Love everything I've tried!

SailorGirl

About this orzo pasta salad. It’s excellent! Like a Greek salad with orzo pasta and without olives. Though you could easily add olives to this orzo salad if you wanted to.
You could probably make this orzo salad into a with quinoa salad by using it instead of the orzo, though I haven’t tried it that way yet. And if you like this orzo salad, maybe you’ll want to plant some cherry tomatoes in your garden too. (I recommend Sun Golds.)

Print
INGREDIENTS
  • 8 ounces orzo pasta
  • Salt
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Juice of a lemon
  • Black pepper to taste
METHOD
1 Cook orzo pasta in salted water: Bring a large pot of well salted water to a rolling boil. Add the orzo, stirring it so that it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Cook, uncovered, at a high boil until al dente, cooked through but still a bit firm.
Drain the pasta (it helps to use a fine mesh sieve for this as the small orzo might pass through holes in a colander), and rinse with cold water to stop the pasta from cooking further.
2 Toss pasta with olive oil, tomatoes, feta, cucumber, green onions, oregano, lemon juice, pepper: Toss the pasta with the olive oil in a large bowl. At this point you can make ahead and chill until you are ready to serve (or transport to a party).
Toss with the rest of the ingredients, the tomatoes, feta cheese, cucumber, green onions, oregano, lemon juice, and black pepper. The feta is salty so you shouldn't need to add more salt.

Any time I'm looking for a recipe, this is the site I use. Love everything I've tried!
I have never tried orzo pasta. It looks like rice - does it taste that way?

lucky_bee

RBF expert
PREMO Member
I have never tried orzo pasta. It looks like rice - does it taste that way?
Orzo is the best. It's a pasta that's obviously rice-shaped. but it tastes like a very light pasta. It's perfect for a light, summery salad.

I have a couple tried-and-true pasta salad recipes. Let me see if I can dig them up.

SailorGirl

Orzo is the best. It's a pasta that's obviously rice-shaped. but it tastes like a very light pasta. It's perfect for a light, summery salad.

I have a couple tried-and-true pasta salad recipes. Let me see if I can dig them up.
Thanks - I'll have to try that.

SailorGirl

Print
INGREDIENTS
  • 8 ounces orzo pasta
  • Salt
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Juice of a lemon
  • Black pepper to taste
METHOD

Thank you - I'll add a little chicken and give it a shot.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My ex-sister in law used to make a Greek pasta salad that is mu-WUH :kissesfingers: !

Bowtie pasta, cooked
Black olives, sliced or whole
Diced tomato
Diced green pepper (although I leave this out because it's gross)
Feta cheese
Caesar vinaigrette dressing

You can add cooked chicken or shimp to make it a meal.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
PREMO Member

BBQ Ranch Pasta Salad this one's pretty good but if you're into the corn chip topping, put it on your own individual serving vs. the whole dish. I couldn't eat the leftovers :ohwell:

Pimiento Pasta Salad this one was DEE-LISH. But I'm obsessed with pimiento cheese 😋 throw some bbq pulled pork on top, or chicken...yum.

Macaroni Salad with Smoked Mozz and Proscuitto This link has a couple recipes on this page but I made the smoked mozzarella and proscuitto one...BEST SALAD EVER. I hid it from the rest of the family ate it for lunch for several days straight. I couldn't find smoked mozz in southern MD so cheated and wrapped a fresh ball of mozz to soak in a few drops of liquid smoke for a couple hours. It was like an italian sub in pasta form 😍

Kyle

Just being a fly in the ointment...
PREMO Member
I don’t really like pasta salads but That actually looks good.

jazz lady

~*~ rara avis ~*~

I also add chopped pepperoni to this. Often my go-to when I need to bring something to a party.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
My ex-sister in law used to make a Greek pasta salad that is mu-WUH :kissesfingers: !

Bowtie pasta, cooked
Black olives, sliced or whole
Diced tomato
Diced green pepper (although I leave this out because it's gross)
Feta cheese
Caesar vinaigrette dressing

You can add cooked chicken or shimp to make it a meal.
This is very close to mine, but change bowtie to rotini.

Monello

Awww, jeez
PREMO Member
If you make an Italian pasta salad, pick up some of this to sprinkle on top. Salad Supreme.

I like to add marinated artichokes hearts and salt cured black olives, along with green peppers, blanched broccoli, red onion, meats & cheeses. Tossed with a good Italian dressing but just enough to coat everything.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
If you make an Italian pasta salad, pick up some of this to sprinkle on top. Salad Supreme.

I like to add marinated artichokes hearts and salt cured black olives, along with green peppers, blanched broccoli, red onion, meats & cheeses. Tossed with a good Italian dressing but just enough to coat everything.
And make sure it's the McCormick brand. I've tried others. :dead:

luvmygdaughters

PREMO Member

I also add chopped pepperoni to this. Often my go-to when I need to bring something to a party.
That looks so good! Definitely gonna try this one, might add some grated pepper jack to it!!