4 channels on tv
picnics
recess
making forts, playing army, cowboy and Indians
turtle hunting
Striving to get a trophy for winning something and accepting that you didn't
Lancelot Link
Soap (tho not a kid when it was on tv)
Laugh-In (loved the over-the-top silliness)

stgislander

PREMO Member
Refrigerators were Ice Boxes
Rotary Phones
Party lines
Neighborhood mothers were allowed to hand out spankings to neighborhood kids
Walking,biking to school
4 channels on tv
picnics
recess
turtle hunting
Lancelot Link

I loved Lancelot Link! Makes me want to jump into the WABAC Machine.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
my 1st 2 cars ... a
66 Dodge Dart 170 Cu

and a

67 Dodge Dart 225 Cu

- 3 on the tree,

next 4 vehicles were a 72, 70, 68, 69 VW Beetles

My first was a 1970 Chevy Nova I got from a little old lady who's husband had past for just $250. She thought it was scrap because it revved really high between 1st and 2nd but it was just a vacuum hose that was hanging off the block.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
i've heard people say a VW was literally just a few bolts to turn and a new engine was in/out

under the seat - disconnect the Battery
disconnect the Fuel Line
take lose the Generator wires, the Electric Choke
... throttle cable

pull the rear most piece of tin off of the motor [you don't have to, but it does make it a little easier]
heater box control cables
and 4 Nuts - 2 from underneath and 2 behind the doghouse fan shroud

Tools required: 17 mm, 10 mm, flat head screwdriver - maybe a 13 / 14 mm wrench

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
My first was a 1970 Chevy Nova I got from a little old lady who's husband had past for just $250. She thought it was scrap because it revved really high between 1st and 2nd but it was just a vacuum hose that was hanging off the block.

:yay:

I got the 69 for $ 50 bucks [1988] the guy was asking $ 200 - but had not been able to get the car running the previous weekend for another potential buyer
I low balled my offer, and towed the car home ... in 30 min I had the vehicle running - I kept it for 6 yrs.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Before Caller ID was invented, you could prank call people and not get busted. Until they invented *69. :ohwell:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Rotary Phones
Party lines
Walking,biking to school
4 channels on tv
picnics
recess
making forts, playing army, cowboy and Indians - yep did lots of that
turtle hunting
Lancelot Link

in the 1970's - we still had dial phones, no one had an answering machine
Sid and Marty Croft - Dr Shrinker, Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, Land of the Lost
ISIS
Shzamm
Wackey Racers
The Scooby Doo Show - originals
Ghost of 1776
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids

12 inch GI Joes - yep boys play with ACTION Figures

Rat Patrol, Combat, John Wayne War Movies

Unedited Bugs Bunny and the Road Runner
Channel 5 and 20 for Sci Fi TV show Reruns - Star Trek, UFO, Space 1999 - Cartoons - Speed Racer, Marine Boy and Ultra man [not a cartoon]

Popster

Rotary Phones
Party lines
Walking,biking to school
4 channels on tv
picnics
recess
turtle hunting
Lancelot Link

I remember seeing the neighbor's tv; about a 3" crt display. I miss the local hardware store where as a kid I could buy plaster of paris by the pound and get charcoal, salt peter, and sulfur and and make our own gunpowder. I remember being totally surprised and taken aback when at the end of summer I was told that there was such a thing as school and it would be starting soon. I now also remembered that the men in our neighborhood would take care of folks who stole things or mistreated their families.

I don't miss my first modem; I could type way faster than it could transmit. However, I could connect with some really bright folks with it and there were no trolls or snobs with which to deal.

Roman

I miss penny candy, like Bazooka bubble gum. A bag of Fritos cost a nickel. 25 cents to go see a movie.

PeoplesElbow

Before Caller ID was invented, you could prank call people and not get busted. Until they invented *69. :ohwell:

One of my favorite past times when I was in Jr High in the 80's! My friends and I ruthlessly pranked the art teacher who turned out to be a child molester. We wondered why the cops always seemed to warn us so they couldn't catch us in the act.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I don't miss my first modem; I could type way faster than it could transmit. However, I could connect with some really bright folks with it and there were no trolls or snobs with which to deal.

I miss my first modem. I was thrilled to be able to work from home with that 300 baud modem that was built in to my radically awesome the-envy-of-all-my-peers-except-those-that-owned-Osbornes-and-Kaypros Radio Shack Model 4P computer. Dual operating systems (TRSDOS and CPM, both...but CPM ruled the world), dual 5.25" 180k floppy drives and 128k of banked RAM. I was a computing god.

GregV814

In the same idea, what television shows would be banned today? Well, Hogans Heroes, (too German, offensive to Jews), McHales Navy, (offensive to Asians) Beverly Hillbillys (offensive to appalachians) however it portrayed Milburn Drysdale as a rich mean banker, probably a Republican conservative... 3 stooges, (too violent,) The Flinstones didnt have any africans on it, too white and that Ricky Ricardo too urban.... oh geeeeze, the Real McCoys with the mexican farmer....