FBI Agent vs. Local Cop suspected of corruption

Chris0nllyn

It's a long video, but basically the FBI Agent was investigating corruption of a FL officer. FBI Agent calls officer on personal cell phone and asked him to meet. Cop meets him, begins being questioned, then calls his supervisor. Supervisor says you need to meet at the office. FBI Agent says fine, I'll just call the US Attorney's office. Cops turns on body cam and goes into "CYA" mode. Claiming something doesn't sit right, the officer ignores the FBI credentials the badge, the radio in the guy's car, runs the plates and confirms his suspicions because the car isn't registered to the FBI (did he seriously think it would be?), texts a picture of the driver's license to his supervisor, FBI Agent says he's armed and cop says don't worry about it. Cop's supervisor and other cops (including the Sheriff) show up and the cop then wants to poiint out that the guy is armed. Cop and his supervisor put the FBI Agent in handcuffs and in the back of the car. FBI Agent claims it was hot in the car. Cops confirm he's legit and are told to let the Agent go. Agent calls for an ambulance.

It's a great example of ego and how ego gets in the way of common sense. It's a great example on how police can take literally anything you say or do and turn it against you. Oh, and if you don't say anything, you're being uncooperative and that is also grounds for suspicion.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Not that the FBI doesn't use the same techniques.
But yes, It comes down to what they think is more important, what their leadership is making a priority.
Closing cases, convictions or simply doing the right thing.
There is a cultural problem in organizations that are "fraternal", the idea that they get an us against them, the tendency to close ranks.
The question that the Sheriff's department should now face is where you covering up, trying to intimidate the FBI agent because you are all dirty, or simply protecting a friend.
Another is a problem with overlapping jurisdictions, who has over sight of the sheriff's department?
Is it the local District / State's Attorney, State Police, other state or local agency.
What made this a matter for the FBI?

Chris0nllyn

Not that the FBI doesn't use the same techniques.
But yes, It comes down to what they think is more important, what their leadership is making a priority.
Closing cases, convictions or simply doing the right thing.
There is a cultural problem in organizations that are "fraternal", the idea that they get an us against them, the tendency to close ranks.
The question that the Sheriff's department should now face is where you covering up, trying to intimidate the FBI agent because you are all dirty, or simply protecting a friend.
Another is a problem with overlapping jurisdictions, who has over sight of the sheriff's department?
Is it the local District / State's Attorney, State Police, other state or local agency.
What made this a matter for the FBI?

Apparently it all started because the officer in question initially wrote a hit and run ticket to a local businesswoman who is apparently well know or well connected. The officer, after writing the ticket, rescinded it. Who knows exactly why the FBI is there. Sheriff thinks his opponents are out to get him though.

BernieP

Resident PIA
It was in the story, says the FBI agents name popped on a terrorist watch list.
It also says that while unconfirmed, may be part of a wider corruption investigation.
Because the FBI has kept the investigation on the low.
Have to laugh at the deputies excuse, the car wasn't registered to the FBI
Wouldn't accept the FBI credentials, not a badge, credentials include a picture.
Then throwing him into a locked car, giving his buddies "cover"
Comes across as a bad idea to attempt to scare the FBI off.

gemma_rae

I tried to suffocate him whenever I put him the car Boss. It worked on my dog, but he jest wouldn't die.

glhs837

Power with Control
Way I read it, they are investigating this department for corruption. FBI guy thought he could turn this deputy, hence the off the books meeting. FBI dont care about a fixed ticket, but they would use that as a door into the department.

Chris0nllyn

Way I read it, they are investigating this department for corruption. FBI guy thought he could turn this deputy, hence the off the books meeting. FBI dont care about a fixed ticket, but they would use that as a door into the department.

Wonder if that's why the Sheriff left the scene real quick after they found out he was legit? :lol:

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep. I mean you could be fixing tickets for valid reasons, but you could also be operating your own version of Project Graduation, but instead it's called Project Election. The way these good ol boys circled the wagons on what was petty obviously a real Fed tells a tale, to me anyway.

BernieP

Resident PIA
(1) The officer, after writing the ticket, rescinded it. Who knows exactly why the FBI is there.
(2) Sheriff thinks his opponents are out to get him though.
(1) I think [B]glhs837[/B] addressed this part in his last post.
(2) Even paranoid people have enemies. I would say that's the classic denial. Sometimes it is a witch hunt, sometimes not.