FDR Boulevard Extension Set To Open

PeoplesElbow

I think if you asked people what YIELD meant you might be surprised on how some thought it was supposed to operate.

Good place to watch that YIELD in practice is at a few of the right turns onto 235, particular RT CR Rd and coming out of First Colony.
What it seems to mean for some is they come around the turn a full speed and then try to merge over into the right lane, beliving it's the responsibility of the vehicle on 235 to give way.
Which works, particularly by Wa Wa and Sheetz. SB 235 vehicles come to a stop on 235 to allow the party with the YIELD sign the right of way.

I've actually seen it posted at one or more circles that you should yield to the traffic IN the circle, but as noted above it doesn't stop some from trying to get in front of that vehicle in the circle.
I think that comes from the belief that if you hit me, you are at fault. Which unfortunately typically works because it becomes a he said / he said case and the police typically don't want to get involved in insurance cases, not unless laws were clearly broken.
They aren't there to witness the collision so they can't tell of the party with the YIELD failed to give the rigfht of way or the other driver was simply negligent and hit them.

Just yesterday I was trying to yield and some asshat on one of those gay motorcycles with two front wheels kept laying on the horn even though traffic coming from RT4 was turning onto 235 and into WaWa.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

Drivers in the area should be aware FDR Boulevard will be closed to through traffic from 9 a.m. until approximately 4 p.m. St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s deputies and Department of Public Works and Transportation employees will manage traffic and direct drivers to nearby parking areas. Once those parking areas fill, drivers will be directed to the BJ’s parking lot. STS shuttle buses will provide transportation directly to the site.

So they open it only to close it the following week for most of the day for opening ceremonies? :killingme :dork:

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, the idiots are plentiful, so......... :)

We've used it a couple of times going from Lowes/Target back to PetSmart. Old Rolling Road will need a serious upgrade now.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Well, the idiots are plentiful, so......... :)

We've used it a couple of times going from Lowes/Target back to PetSmart. Old Rolling Road will need a serious upgrade now.

And can't seem to read all the signs. I have used it once going from First Colony to Five Guys. :lol:

The other real dummy's were on St. Andrews this evening. We were passed by some yahoo, then the next car *tried* to pass. Ended up slamming on his brakes and skidding to get back into his lane behind us to prevent the impending head-on collision. He backed off. And we were going 60mph, not exactly slow holding up traffic.

BernieP

Resident PIA
How the hell, isn't the speed limit 35?

I thought that it was?

Apparently people are doing a lot of AssUMe ing. Not that signs weren't posted warning of the change in traffic patterns. Not that the stop sign wasn't alredy there and not that you don't have the right of way when making a left ...
But it appears from the number of accidents at the intersection of FDR and First Colony that people are to stupid to notice. At fair number of people don't seem to have noticed the barrier is gone and FDR is open. They sail through that intersection coming out of or heading tow First Colony (235). Heck with the stop sign, they roll on through. Same with those making the left, they can see the traffic coming up FDR and the barrier gone, yet they just naje the turn like they are the only vehicle on the road.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I have not been through there it sounds like an avoid at all cost situation.

no more than any other intersection or road in the county. There are just some people who get into their vehicle and put their head deep inside their arse before buckling up.

Short of being in an accident, how may times do you see someone get a ticket for driving like a clueless dolt? NEVER They may cause an accident, but as long as they aren't involved in the collision, nothing is done.
For example, watched some dolt come up the right turn lane (NB 235), then after the second Walmart light they make a beeline for the left turn lanes at Old Rolling Rd. Three lanes of NB traffic hit the brakes and almost stop during a green light becuase some dipstick manuaver. All it takes is one, to mess it up for the many. Traffic is moving fine until you get that one person in the center lane going under the speed limit - you see it on 235, the beltway, all over. The center lane is even worse than either the far left or right, to be cloging traffic.
There's a law that says no cell phone unless it's hands free. How many times have you seen it enforced? Compared to how many people who are sitting at a green light or driving 10 MPH under the speed limit because they are on their phone and oblivious to traffic?

How many times in bad weather do you see (barely see) a vehicle with no lights on? Law says, wipers on, lights on. Do they get pulled over.?
Same can be said at dawn and dusk. Sure, there is enough light to see, but you have those fools who can't be seen. Do they get pulled over?

Just as dangerous, if not more so than speeding and that's not what gets ticketed.

So why do people drive with their head up their "arse"? Because they are sure they will get away with it to the point of they don't see it as a problem - they have rationalized that it's ok.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I asked a State Trooper who came in the store a few weeks ago if it's illegal to use directional signals here in Maryland.
He made similar comments as you did BernieP about people forgetting the rules of the road and what should be common courtesy behind the wheel.

nobody really

I need a nap
I have seen roads labeled "Local Use Only" that actually were through roads, they were obviously just designed for low traffic flow as one side always had cars parked on it.

They really need to put up "No Outlet" or 'Dead End" signs or people are going to go down it and try to get through. Hell they tried to drive down the sidewalk from Chancellors Run to Walmart before.

or on Three Notch Trail....that happened a few years ago. Traffic was a bottle neck....on the trail lol

BernieP

Resident PIA
I asked a State Trooper who came in the store a few weeks ago if it's illegal to use directional signals here in Maryland.
He made similar comments as you did BernieP about people forgetting the rules of the road and what should be common courtesy behind the wheel.

it amazes me the condition of some of the vehicles on the road. Followed a car down the highway last night that either the driver had a foot resting on the brake pedal or they had an electical problem.
One tail ight and the "high" brake lights were on constantly. To top it off their speed was erratic so you didn't know if they were braking or just simply fell asleep at the switch.
Drove me freaking nutz.
Then there are the blacked out windows - the blacked out vehicles. Obviously well beyond the legal limit.

So what did I get pulled over for the other night - my license plate wasn't illuminated bright enough. The trooper told me he had turned out his lights and couldn't read my plate cleary because the bulbs were to dim.
Factory standard part, just an older vehicle in pretty much perfect running condition. Not a big deal to replace two bulbs, but interesting that that was a good reason to stop a vehicle and not other violations.

officeguy

So what did I get pulled over for the other night - my license plate wasn't illuminated bright enough. The trooper told me he had turned out his lights and couldn't read my plate cleary because the bulbs were to dim.
Factory standard part, just an older vehicle in pretty much perfect running condition. Not a big deal to replace two bulbs, but interesting that that was a good reason to stop a vehicle and not other violations.

Just another fishing expedition. Trying to 'detect the odor of burnt marijuana' from your car. 'Old car' is not a valid reason for a traffic stop, 'dim license plate light' is. Had your lights been bright he would have stopped you for crossing the centerline or not signaling 115ft prior to an intersection or some other freely invented reason.

littlelady

God bless the USA
it amazes me the condition of some of the vehicles on the road. Followed a car down the highway last night that either the driver had a foot resting on the brake pedal or they had an electical problem.
One tail ight and the "high" brake lights were on constantly. To top it off their speed was erratic so you didn't know if they were braking or just simply fell asleep at the switch.
Drove me freaking nutz.
Then there are the blacked out windows - the blacked out vehicles. Obviously well beyond the legal limit.

::poorbaby:

Grumpy

I don't know where you been but that a favorite tactic of troopers, as officeguy said, its a fishing expedition.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I don't know where you been but that a favorite tactic of troopers, as officeguy said, its a fishing expedition.

he fished the wrong car, the only odor in the car was probably my breath or maybe I'd farted - no alcohol, weed, or any signs of drug use.
Didn't even ask to "search".

I guess "old" was the wrong word, my truck is old, but it's in perfect running order, all the lights operate, no bady parts missing or hanging loose, brakes, all mechanical systems are in good if not excellent condition
Nothing illegal (tint, lights, etc.) I should probably have used the term "beater". A vehicle that would more than likely fail an inspection, assuming it was done legally. Missing or improperly operating lights, you know that car / truck.

My guess is I was traveling in the wrong area - GM RD after sun down - and doing the speed limit. Probably made me look suspicious.

Goldenhawk

Given the number of crimes solved by this tactic, I think the police are choosing something that has tangible benefits to the community. If they have a legitimate - albeit minor - reason to pull you over, they're well within their rights to do so, and very often it results in catching someone doing something much worse. Maybe it's annoying to get pulled over for something minor, but I consider it far more annoying to deal with all the petty crime we suffer, and the police using a fruitful tactic to cut down on that stuff is just fine by me.

So if you don't want to get pulled over, obey the law including all the particulars for vehicle condition.