Federal Employee Health Plans

PeoplesElbow

I've had Blue Cross (code 104) for the entire time I have been employed, but have decided to look at others to see if they would be better for me since it is open season.

Anyone have any experiences with plans from Aetna, GEHA, or United Health Care? Good, Bad etc? I was wanting to change to something with a HSA.

Clem72

I've had Blue Cross (code 104) for the entire time I have been employed, but have decided to look at others to see if they would be better for me since it is open season.

Anyone have any experiences with plans from Aetna, GEHA, or United Health Care? Good, Bad etc? I was wanting to change to something with a HSA.

No direct experience with those, but given how incredibly small their share of the FEHB is I have to assume there is something wrong with them.

I did have kaiser once upon a time (when I lived very close to one) and it was great. If you're not close however it's a non starter.

PeoplesElbow

No direct experience with those, but given how incredibly small their share of the FEHB is I have to assume there is something wrong with them.

I did have kaiser once upon a time (when I lived very close to one) and it was great. If you're not close however it's a non starter.
most people are lazy and don't want to think about these things. Did you see something that shows the share of employees that have each plan?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
When I was married, I was on my husbands FEDBCBS. I would have kept it if I could have. I currently have United Heath and it's ok. I had to have approval for Chantix. You'd think an insurance company would he happy to have their clients quit smoking... I'm generally a healthy person with no dependents, so I can't speak much more about it.

SamSpade

A co-worker has Aetna for him and his wife, and - don't know the options but he says it's an HMO plan.
He likes it because combined with MetLife Dental, pretty much ALL of his dental expenses are covered.

I'm like you, almost always have had BC/BS even though they suck at things like dental, vision, copays and SOME prescriptions. The good thing is - EVERYONE takes them. Every place has no problem processing them.

Today I read an old Mike Causey column where he mentioned that there exist plans which cover your premium AND pay you money. Curious, but not ready to switch. I have however thought about a HSA HIgh Deductible Plan. Again, still unsure how it would work for us.

Gummie

As a retiree on BC/BS Basic, both my wife {non Fed retiree) and I both applied and each got $800 refund for reimburshment of Medicare premiums. Some other FEHBC plans offer similar reduction for those under Medicare. (I know $800 doesn't cover many monthly premiums, but it is better than nothing.) If you are eligable check with your plan.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
As a retiree on BC/BS Basic, both my wife {non Fed retiree) and I both applied and each got $800 refund for reimburshment of Medicare premiums. Some other FEHBC plans offer similar reduction for those under Medicare. (I know $800 doesn't cover many monthly premiums, but it is better than nothing.) If you are eligable check with your plan.
I just got a note in the mail from my retiree (non govt) BCBS plan that I could have been getting reimbursed for my Medicare premium. Didn't realize that. The notification was to automate the reimbursement process so I don't have to do it, it's now automatic thru my plan.

PeoplesElbow

I was thinking about a HDHP with a HSA as a supplemental retirement account. Iax out my TSP, and am past the income limits now to contribute to a Roth so the HSA should help reduce taxes.

I have very little in medical expenses.

UglyBear

BCBS works, maybe not perfectly, but it works — and as mentioned above, everyone takes it.

Switching to another plan for me is risky — if the new one sucks, and some big medical issue happens, I’ll be up the creek without a paddle until the next enrollment season. So yeah, safety in inertia.

kalmd

I've had Aetna my entire 28 year career and have no plans to change. I have nothing to compare it too but I have no complaints.

PeoplesElbow

I did a ton of research and decided to change to APWU High. It is the American Postal Workers Union ran health plan by Cigna. It had better benefits for me, $40 a month cheaper than the Blue Cross plan and every doctor or facility I checked was in network.

The thing that really got me was 100% emergency room coverage for accidents. 1