Federal Grants for Quarantine and Isolation

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Language in the grant was troubling, too. As County Councilman Adam Bujalski noted, one part of the grant read that the recipient would have to “assist the United States Government in the implementation and enforcement of federal orders related to quarantine and isolation.”

“That one sentence is my no,” Bujalski said. “I refuse to say whatever the federal government tells me I have to do I have to do. I will never do that.”

The defeat of the grant was such a blow to the local health officer that she resigned.

When the grant showed up on the commissioners’ agenda in my neighboring county of St. Joseph, I and other residents also moved to kill it. Again, it was the actual grant language that caused the commissioners concern. They didn’t like the fine print that said recipients would have to “comply” with directives and guidance from the U.S. Health and Human Services secretary regarding Covid-19.

The St. Joseph County health officer made light of such language, saying the county didn’t really need to follow it to the letter. One of the three commissioners, who naively suggested the county could just give the grant back if the feds came knocking, was outvoted. The other two commissioners, worried about giving up too much local control, saw the language as a red flag and voted the grant down.

Indiana County Says No To CDC Grant That Plans For Three More Years Of Covid