Federal Tax Refund

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
So I filed all 2020 taxes for myself and Thing1 back in Feb. 2021. Got the refunds for state and Fed direct deposited for Thing1 and I (Fed only) and I had to pay State. All was done. Or so I thought.

We also both got the Federal Stimulus checks last year of 1400. and the additional $600 in the latter part of 2020 and Thing1 even got an additional $300 from Maryland

Imagine my surprise when I got a pretty hefty check (to the tune of about $780.00) from the IRS yesterday. I couldn't figure out WHY to save my life! Finally, after doing some searching around today online - I realized/discovered there was a REFUND that went out in May (and subsequent summer months) for the UNEMPLOYMENT TAXES that were withheld from any Unemployment monies paid out - or that you paid on your Federal Taxes. (because, even thought I OPTED IN for having those taxes withheld - incompetent Maryland didn't withhold that tax and I was responsible for both STATE & FEDERAL taxes on nearly $6, 500.00 unemployment compensation for 2020.) Congress changed the laws in March this year - AFTER I'd already filed my taxes - so since I had paid taxes on that money - I got it back. Plus a little bit of interest. ($5.40)

JFC - why can't they just send a damn letter when they send these checks? :rolleyes:

ontheriver

Yesterday my federal refund was deposited. They shorted me almost $600 because of a problem with a dependent. I don't have dependents. Idiots. What is my recourse? Seriously, my return was so simple. How could they screw it up? I have a call in to the accountant, but they haven't responded yet. No doubt she is busy.

ontheriver

If I may ...

I'm wondering if we can bill the IRS for interest payments?
If they're paying interest I haven't seen it yet. Supposedly they pay interest but from what date, how much: and, I don't want interest that I and all other taxpayers will pay back twofold (that's stupid... ) The worst part of all this is I know I'm not the only one who is sick to death of this whole admin.... top to bottom. Get it together already. Rant over.

ontheriver

The same day I got my refund direct deposit I received a deposit of $236. I thought maybe it was an adjustment of my refund. They shorted me over $600 because of the dependents I DO NOT have. Wrong again. I received a letter today from the White House. It's another stimulus payment. This *admin is out of control incompetent. WTAF

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The same day I got my refund direct deposit I received a deposit of $236. I thought maybe it was an adjustment of my refund. They shorted me over $600 because of the dependents I DO NOT have. Wrong again. I received a letter today from the White House. It's another stimulus payment. This *admin is out of control incompetent. WTAF
They are sending more stimulus payments? Heck, I never received the last one.