feeding round bales

smurfette

Survey question.....who feeds round bales? Some peeps don't because of mold issues....some do and say horses don't eat the bad parts. Curious about everyones hay feeding routines in the winter concerning round bales.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Good quality hay regardless of baling type should not be moldy. There's no reason for a properly cured, baled, and stored round bale to be moldy.

I don't have storage or a tractor to move round bales around so I only buy one or two at a time. My guys usually finish them in about a week or two depending on the size of the bale. (500-700 pounds)

Using hay rings, covered feeders and other options can help prevent waste and keep your round bale from getting rained or snowed on. I'm picking up some new poly rings and a friend is making a cover for me.

I would also never trust a hungry horse to overlook moldy hay. If your horse has plenty of good quality hay it is likely that they would avoid the moldy hay but, I'd rather not put it to the test.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
Good quality hay regardless of baling type should not be moldy. There's no reason for a properly cured, baled, and stored round bale to be moldy.

I don't have storage or a tractor to move round bales around so I only buy one or two at a time. My guys usually finish them in about a week or two depending on the size of the bale. (500-700 pounds)

Using hay rings, covered feeders and other options can help prevent waste and keep your round bale from getting rained or snowed on. I'm picking up some new poly rings and a friend is making a cover for me.

I would also never trust a hungry horse to overlook moldy hay. If your horse has plenty of good quality hay it is likely that they would avoid the moldy hay but, I'd rather not put it to the test.

:yeahthat:

I feed rounds. It will cost more to feed; however, I like my horses having access to hay 24 hours a day. It is more healthy for them. I have round bale feeders that prevent the hay from getting wet. I have virtually no waste with my round bales. The only difference between rounds and squares with respect to mold is that round bales must be bailed at a lower mositure rate to prevent mold. I have a meter I take if I am buying rounds just bailed so that I can ensure it was cured properly.

DQ2B

I tried one once. Never again. My horses wasted so much of it that it just wasn't cost effective and I spent an afternnon cleaning up the waste. I also know someone who had a horse get botulism which they believe was from the round bale. Certainly not a common occurance but I guess it happens.

smurfette

I agree. Feeding moldy hay is a well known no no....or should be anyway. That is why I don't get why horse people put round bales in the pasture. The round bale in itself is not a problem for me. If properly harvested and stored it seems like a great option if kept clean and dry. My concern is when it sits out the the pasture uncovered for weeks with rain etc letting mold grow in it. I have friends who i respect as horsemen who feed this way. I just don't get it. .:confused: Seems way too risky

Eventer29

If bales are stored properly and cured properly they are fine. problem is most dont have the storage space for such large generally unstackable bales. We feed round bales year round. We go through 1 bale a day though so it is not sitting out getting rained on. We have approx 10 mares out at night munching on it and then 6 geldings during the day eating what is left of that same roll. We roll half out at night and half for the day crew. We found that by rolling it out they actually made less of a mess and with all our beasties there is less fighting. With it just left in the roll they would tear it apart trying to get at the middle and pee on it.

devinej

i've fed them in the past like Eventer29 said - rolling a bit of them out at a time. then you can control how much they eat too.

Moldy hay is certainly not something you want to feed your horse, but i find that most of the time horses are pretty picky about what they eat if they are well fed otherwise, but that's not to say it doesn't happen.

be picky about what round bales you buy. get recommendations on who to buy from.

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
Hey smurfette!! :smoochy:

I personally dislike the idea of feeding roundbales to horses, but ONLY because most people dont do it properly. I do worry about the mold, but if you know what you're looking at when buying round bales you should be fine. Its the feeding process thats a little more tricky. Assuming you have a properly cured bale, feeding a little at a time like some others suggested is one way to do it right. The other way it to make sure the bale is properly housed while in the field and/or while in storage (also like some others mentioned), such as being up off the ground, having a cover, etc.

Problem is that most people either 1.) dont know what to look for in a good bale and/or 2.) dont know how to house the bale. But if done properly, I have no issues with it :yay:.

I know where your question is coming from because I thought the same thing last time I was there :lol: But hey... to each their own I guess :shrug:

smurfette

Hey smurfette!! :smoochy:

I personally dislike the idea of feeding roundbales to horses, but ONLY because most people dont do it properly. I do worry about the mold, but if you know what you're looking at when buying round bales you should be fine. Its the feeding process thats a little more tricky. Assuming you have a properly cured bale, feeding a little at a time like some others suggested is one way to do it right. The other way it to make sure the bale is properly housed while in the field and/or while in storage (also like some others mentioned), such as being up off the ground, having a cover, etc.

Problem is that most people either 1.) dont know what to look for in a good bale and/or 2.) dont know how to house the bale. But if done properly, I have no issues with it :yay:.

I know where your question is coming from because I thought the same thing last time I was there :lol: But hey... to each their own I guess :shrug:

hehehe...so much for incognito...:howdy: Yeah, there is not one in our pasture because before I came back i made sure it was known that I did not want them in my pasture. We agreed upon it before I came back. Otherwise, other mngt practices are acceptable to me. Got a horse trailer yesterday!!! :yahoo: Can't believe it....so excited

lovemyber135

dont you love that feelin when you get a horse trailer :)...the horses get round bales at my farm i like that they have hay when they are outside in the cold to keep them warm especially for the guys who dont get spoiledand have blankeys like some of the horses at my farm including mine lol thats just my opinion i also agree about having the correct hay and proper shelter for it...but it is kinda expensive deffinately just an extra expense on your hand...but really horses should have all the rufage they can get especially in the winter time when there is less grass...and also if they have have all the time you can feed them less grain if they already get high starch feed....:) just thought i should put my opinion out there

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I feed rounds..I get straight Pa timothy or brome...excellent hay..barn kept..I have hay rings with 18 X 20 covers over them..they do NOT sit for weeks lol I have a mare and 2 babies that can eat a bale in a week and I have 5 in another field that eat it in 5 or so days..these are the 5 foot bales and over 800 lbs..when I get the big ones they last 7 or so days...nice nice hay too..I then put one bale at a time in my hay room at the barn and use a wheel barrow and pitch fork to feed the stalled horses..Yes we have a big tractor..you need to for the 5 foot bales...no mold and prettier then most local square bales..

smurfette

dont you love that feelin when you get a horse trailer :)...the horses get round bales at my farm i like that they have hay when they are outside in the cold to keep them warm especially for the guys who dont get spoiledand have blankeys like some of the horses at my farm including mine lol thats just my opinion i also agree about having the correct hay and proper shelter for it...but it is kinda expensive deffinately just an extra expense on your hand...but really horses should have all the rufage they can get especially in the winter time when there is less grass...and also if they have have all the time you can feed them less grain if they already get high starch feed....:) just thought i should put my opinion out there

yeah....i would love to be able to use them if I had a cover for the round bale...I board though, so not my decision I feed at least 1-2% body weight daily in roughage,and more in the winter for warmth....it's always a balance between wanting to feed free choice 24/7 and not spending my whole savings on hay, ya know?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
yeah....i would love to be able to use them if I had a cover for the round bale...I board though, so not my decision I feed at least 1-2% body weight daily in roughage,and more in the winter for warmth....it's always a balance between wanting to feed free choice 24/7 and not spending my whole savings on hay, ya know?

So, your boarding but providing your own hay? If your horse is in turn out in their own field you should be able to provide your own cover, too. Unless you're thinking of a permanent structure the barn owner or manager may be willing to let you do that. It doesn't hurt to ask!

highnote

We started feeding rounds a year ago (after 15 years of using squares). Main reason I switched is so that I didn't have to lift/carry the hay as I was doing with squares (hurt back).

I find rounds to be more economical IF you compare price/weight and shop around. Rounds can vary in weight by a LOT so don't just assume the cheapest round is the best deal. Sometimes you can pay $10-20 more and get double the weight.

We do not have a tractor capable of lifting/moving the rounds. So we buy one at a time, load it in the pickup bed, and roll it off into the bale feeder my hubby built into the corner of our run-in. It works great, but since we can't store any, I'm nervous about running out this winter. Two of my local suppliers already sold out.

If anyone knows some good local (st marys) rounds for sale, please let me know. South county is best.

smurfette

We started feeding rounds a year ago (after 15 years of using squares). Main reason I switched is so that I didn't have to lift/carry the hay as I was doing with squares (hurt back).

I find rounds to be more economical IF you compare price/weight and shop around. Rounds can vary in weight by a LOT so don't just assume the cheapest round is the best deal. Sometimes you can pay $10-20 more and get double the weight.

We do not have a tractor capable of lifting/moving the rounds. So we buy one at a time, load it in the pickup bed, and roll it off into the bale feeder my hubby built into the corner of our run-in. It works great, but since we can't store any, I'm nervous about running out this winter. Two of my local suppliers already sold out.

If anyone knows some good local (st marys) rounds for sale, please let me know. South county is best.

What about the hay auction in Cheltenham? I think it goes on once per month in the winter. Never been to it, but I think there's lots of choices.. round and square bales of different sizes. I;d really like to get up there myself this winter to learn a little.

smurfette

So, your boarding but providing your own hay? If your horse is in turn out in their own field you should be able to provide your own cover, too. Unless you're thinking of a permanent structure the barn owner or manager may be willing to let you do that. It doesn't hurt to ask!

yeah, self care. I like those hay hut things, but they're like $600 bucks. I know there are cheaper alternatives for covering, but we are doing fine with feeding square bales in the field. I try not to rock the boat too much as far as asking if i can do stuff my own way.

C

campinmutt

yeah, self care. I like those hay hut things, but they're like $600 bucks. I know there are cheaper alternatives for covering, but we are doing fine with feeding square bales in the field. I try not to rock the boat too much as far as asking if i can do stuff my own way.

I have used rounds when I travel so the girl taking care of the horses has less work and the horses are occupied and stay out of trouble.I tarp them and bungie the tarps on leaving a section open for them to eat...just a thought

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
What about the hay auction in Cheltenham? I think it goes on once per month in the winter. Never been to it, but I think there's lots of choices.. round and square bales of different sizes. I;d really like to get up there myself this winter to learn a little.

Cheltenham hay auction is the 1st and 3rd Saturday every month Nov - April. Auction starts at noon.