Feel a Draft? For the youngsters

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
From a leftist rag, but never really reported in the mainstream press (although the legislation is there according to Thomas). We heard about it last year at work. Guess that gives me job security.

US Preparing for Military Draft in Spring 2005
by Adam Stutz • Wednesday January 28, 2004 at 09:50 AM

The current agenda of the US federal government is to reinstate the draft in order to staff up for a protracted war on "terrorism." Pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills S 89 and HR 163) would time the program so the draft could begin at early as Spring 2005 -- conveniently just after the 2004 presidential election!

Pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills S 89 and HR 163) would time the program so the draft could begin at early as Spring 2005 -- conveniently just after the 2004 presidential election!

If voters who currently support U.S. aggression abroad were confronted with the possibility that their own children or grandchildren might not have a say about whether to fight, many of these same voters might have a change of mind. (Not that it should make a difference, but this plan would among other things eliminate higher education as a shelter and would not exclude women -- and Canada is no longer an option.)

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. SSS must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website: http://www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the SSS Annual Performance Plan - Fiscal Year 2004.

The Pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of Congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

http://www.informationclearinghouse...article5146.htm

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and H.R. 163 forward this year, entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the Committee on Armed Services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam era remember. College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the US signed a "Smart Border Declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs, John Manley, and US Homeland Security Director, Gov. Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their cur-rent semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

"What's Hot Off the Press" includes student synopses of articles currently being investigated for inclusion in the next Project Censored report. For more info and/or to receive Project Censored's newsletter, go to http://www.projectcensored.org, or email [censored]@sonoma.edu

ylexot

Super Genius
Originally posted by jlabsher (in another thread)
The navy will be cutting 50,000 sailors over the next 5 years, 25, 000 by the end of next year. http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0304/030204cdpm2.htm
Why would we need a draft if the military is cutting personnel?

The only logical reason would be to have a plan in case something catastrophic happens and a large force is needed quickly. No problem with being prepared.

So who's creating fear now?

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Just trying to fit in :dance:

Of course, if the cutbacks were senior enlisted & officer personnel, (not that I've heard anything) it might be the same as firing your U.S. customer service team and hiring from India. Or, they may realize the Navy has limited effectiveness in the war against terror and be drafting ground pounders.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by jlabsher
Just trying to pretend Republicans are the fear mongers, not the Democrats, because I am a hypocrite and a yellow dog.
:yeahthat:

This comes up any time there's anything going on militarily - read: constantly. The ones who bring it up are ALWAYS liberal Democrats because it would be their fondest wish to have a draft so they could start a revolution before they flee to Canada. The fact is the military is too smart to want a bunch of little JLabs running around in some foreign country with a gun in their hand.

You always have to read between the lines whenever a Leftist is "reporting". For instance, when they write "Some people are saying..." it means "Someone from my Che Guevara Support Group said..."

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Thanks for misquoting me, you should run for office.

If you'll notice I intimated that it was from a leftist rag, unlike others on here who quote very right wing publications and then do not give a source.

If you'll also read some of my posts I think all politicians are crooked as a dog's hind leg, some on here - correction- most on here think the republicans can do no wrong and the democrats are evil defined, just trying to set the record straight that there is no such thing as a pious politician (or party) nowadays.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by jlabsher
most on here think the republicans can do no wrong and the democrats are evil defined
Nobody ever said that - that's just your interpretation based on your hatred of Republicans. It's not our fault that Bush has been a pretty good President and all the Dems can dredge up is Hanoi John, the Rich Woman's Poodle Dog. :shrug:

And "Right Wing Rag" is a matter of opinion. Dems4Me said the Trial Lawyers' website was a Right Wing Rag because it refuted whatever "point" she was trying to make.

ceo_pte

Originally posted by Pete
I do not think that all Democrats are evil. I like Zell Miller. :lol:

I like dennis Miller. He was hilarious on the tonight/late show one night.

I'm not afraid to say that I have no use for a true liberal though. I would rather spit on them than look at them. Sorry, but they make me want to :barf:

Vince

I don't think I will ever see the draft again, in my lifetime. Saw it during Vietnam and you still had to sign up for it after Nam was over. Some of us enlisted, but even when the military was shorthanded (when I enlisted), they didn't use the draft. If they actually needed a draft, they would have used it during Iraq. It would have to be a WWIII for them to put the draft into play. Like Vrai said, "The ones who bring it up are ALWAYS liberal Democrats because it would be their fondest wish to have a draft so they could start a revolution before they flee to Canada." I thought Clinton fled to England?:confused: Can't remember. It's that alzheimers again.:biggrin:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Originally posted by ceo_pte
I like dennis Miller. He was hilarious on the tonight/late show one night.

I'm not afraid to say that I have no use for a true liberal though. I would rather spit on them than look at them. Sorry, but they make me want to :barf:

Spoken like a true right wing christian:rolleyes:

ylexot

Super Genius
Originally posted by Pete
I do not think that all Democrats are evil. I like Zell Miller. :lol:
:yeahthat: I thought his book was great. All except the constant Gergia this, Georgia that, but it's understandable since that's where he's from.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
What we heard at work was the National Call to Service plan. It basically said:

FORM OF NATIONAL SERVICE- National service under this Act shall be performed either--

(1) as a member of an active or reserve component of the uniformed services; or

(2) in a civilian capacity that, as determined by the President, promotes the national defense, including national or community service and homeland security.

It sets up a pseudo-Montgomery GI Bill. To qualify a service member has to be in a critical military occupational specialty; perform initial entry training; 15 months active duty; more active duty as determined by DOD or 24 months service in the Selected Reserve; and as determined by the enlistment agreement either more active duty, more service in the Selected Reserve, service in the IRR, or service in the Peace Corps or Americorps.

This was enacted into law (without the draft provision) as PL 107-143. However, the draft provision of the public laws previously quoted still remains in congressional subcommittee.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
JLab, honest now: do you really think the feds are going to start rounding up every kid in America and feed them to the military or the Peace Corps? Honestly? Because you know, certainly, that nobody wants Al Gore's kid fighting alongside professional soldiers. Third world kids don't need to learn to hit a bong or drive like a maniac - and, frankly, that's all some of these punks know how to do.

I truly hope you don't believe this garbage and only post it for the sheer thrill of getting a response. :rolleyes:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
You guys realize that these bills have been sitting for over a year with no action. Doesn't sound like it is something to worry about.

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by vraiblonde
JLab, honest now: do you really think the feds are going to start rounding up every kid in America and feed them to the military or the Peace Corps?

Bah! They're just going to do it the easy way.

They're going to give Dubya a 38 calibre revolver, he's going to line up every kid between the ages of 18 and 23, and just go down the line putting the gun right up to their brainstem and "BLAM!"

Much more efficient way to murder someone - and Halliburton can make a tidy profit by contracting the cleaning service to pick up the little bitty fragments of skull, brain, hair, teeth, and eyeballs.