Feeling Gooooooodddd.

It's been a LONG time since I've visited the ER. Last night at 2am sounded like a good time, so off I went to check out the activity, see what kind of low lifes shot themselves.

About 9pm I was getting itchy. My scalp was insatiably itchy, no amount of scratching relieved it. Then my hands started. Felt like a really bad case of poison ivy, but nothing there, just incredibly itchy. Couldn't find any Cortisone, so wiped down in alcohol. Helped for a few minutes. Then I get an itch on my thigh. Then the other thigh. Look at myself in the mirror... (yes, takes a LOT of courage to do that these days....). I've COVERED in welts. Everywhere. I do the alcohol thing for a while. At 2am I look in the mirror again. The welts are bigger and far more of them than before. Hives. Crap. Ok, off to the ER, scratching all the way. My hands were driving me insane.

Surprisingly, there was no one in the waiting area. I triaged and went right in. Only a few people in the ER, most seemed to have real issues, not just ODs and gunshots. Surprising for a Saturday night.

Anyway, Doc confirms the hives, which were now all over me everywhere. Sets me up with an IV and pushes Benadryl, then a steroid. Nurse looks at my hands and asks if they are always that way. I look. :yikes: Very very swollen. She immediately nicknames them Snausages. That stuck for the rest of the visit. In just a few minutes the Benadryl hits. The itch lessens a bit, and I'm feeling mighty good. That IV version is terrific.

After the IV finishes and has had a chance to work, about a half hour, Nurse checks me out. Some of the welts have disappeared and the rest don't look so bad anymore. My Snausages are still there, and it's tough to bend my hand, it's so swollen.

So time to check out, but the nurse is concerned about the dose of Benadryl impacting my driving, and I have no other driver, so she makes me walk around the ER. I'm fine, clear head, no issues. Check out and head home. My eyes wanted to close, but I was ok.

Crawl into bed and LIGHTS OUT until 10am this morning. Much better, welts have almost fully disappeard, very little itch. Just got a script filled for Prednizsone, so between that working on my various joint pains and the Benadryl tabs providing the 'feel good' factor, Life is Good!!!Think Imma gonna just sit here and fall asleep in front of a movie.

Been thinking about that since I started itching. Nothing new, no change in soaps, food... worked on the tractor in the garage all day, so didn't touch nature... didn't find any bug bites..

No clue.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Yikes! I hope you continue to feel better and no more outbreaks. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's been a LONG time since I've visited the ER. Last night at 2am sounded like a good time, so off I went to check out the activity, see what kind of low lifes shot themselves.

About 9pm I was getting itchy. My scalp was insatiably itchy, no amount of scratching relieved it. Then my hands started. Felt like a really bad case of poison ivy, but nothing there, just incredibly itchy. Couldn't find any Cortisone, so wiped down in alcohol. Helped for a few minutes. Then I get an itch on my thigh. Then the other thigh. Look at myself in the mirror... (yes, takes a LOT of courage to do that these days....). I've COVERED in welts. Everywhere. I do the alcohol thing for a while. At 2am I look in the mirror again. The welts are bigger and far more of them than before. Hives. Crap. Ok, off to the ER, scratching all the way. My hands were driving me insane.

Surprisingly, there was no one in the waiting area. I triaged and went right in. Only a few people in the ER, most seemed to have real issues, not just ODs and gunshots. Surprising for a Saturday night.

Anyway, Doc confirms the hives, which were now all over me everywhere. Sets me up with an IV and pushes Benadryl, then a steroid. Nurse looks at my hands and asks if they are always that way. I look. :yikes: Very very swollen. She immediately nicknames them Snausages. That stuck for the rest of the visit. In just a few minutes the Benadryl hits. The itch lessens a bit, and I'm feeling mighty good. That IV version is terrific.

After the IV finishes and has had a chance to work, about a half hour, Nurse checks me out. Some of the welts have disappeared and the rest don't look so bad anymore. My Snausages are still there, and it's tough to bend my hand, it's so swollen.

So time to check out, but the nurse is concerned about the dose of Benadryl impacting my driving, and I have no other driver, so she makes me walk around the ER. I'm fine, clear head, no issues. Check out and head home. My eyes wanted to close, but I was ok.

Crawl into bed and LIGHTS OUT until 10am this morning. Much better, welts have almost fully disappeard, very little itch. Just got a script filled for Prednizsone, so between that working on my various joint pains and the Benadryl tabs providing the 'feel good' factor, Life is Good!!!Think Imma gonna just sit here and fall asleep in front of a movie.

Boy, do you know how to party...

Hope you feel better soon :huggy:

luvmygdaughters

Poor Thing!!! I broke out in hives once, never figured out what caused it and haven't had them since. Glad you're on the mend!!!

frequentflier

happy to be living
Searched for hives and found this thread. I have never been prone to any skin issues and am only allergic to wasp stings. One of my cats woke me up at 2AM Friday morning and when I got back into bed, my back started itching; I mean get out of bed and go to the living room to find a back scratcher kind of itching. I start tearing into my back and then my whole body starts itching and then the welts started. I started running a cold bath and found some baking soda to scrub my skin with. The sound of the water woke my husband up and came in and said WTF and then realized how awful I looked. Watching the welts raise on my arms and legs was like seeing a sci-fi movie only it was on MY BODY! My back and butt were covered, too (but I couldn't see-only felt them)
Husband found some benedryl and I took one but knew that me and benedryl have a bad history. It started helping, though but as soon as I got out of the tub I started puking.
Husband asked if I had eaten anything strange or if I knew something that could have triggered an allergic reaction? Ah, no! He looked up my symptoms and determined it was hives and it doesn't need a reason to take over your body.
Holy $hit, I hope having them once was enough. What a miserable experience.
That damn cat!

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I found out I was allergic to papaya the hard way. I used a meat tenderizer on country fried steak, shortly after I married. The main ingredient was papain.

I hope it was a one time thing for you @frequentflier . Mommy Dearest gets them from the cold. She seldom goes out in the wintertime because of them and takes Allegra year round as a precaution.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Searched for hives and found this thread. I have never been prone to any skin issues and am only allergic to wasp stings. One of my cats woke me up at 2AM Friday morning and when I got back into bed, my back started itching; I mean get out of bed and go to the living room to find a back scratcher kind of itching. I start tearing into my back and then my whole body starts itching and then the welts started. I started running a cold bath and found some baking soda to scrub my skin with. The sound of the water woke my husband up and came in and said WTF and then realized how awful I looked. Watching the welts raise on my arms and legs was like seeing a sci-fi movie only it was on MY BODY! My back and butt were covered, too (but I couldn't see-only felt them)
Husband found some benedryl and I took one but knew that me and benedryl have a bad history. It started helping, though but as soon as I got out of the tub I started puking.
Husband asked if I had eaten anything strange or if I knew something that could have triggered an allergic reaction? Ah, no! He looked up my symptoms and determined it was hives and it doesn't need a reason to take over your body.
Holy $hit, I hope having them once was enough. What a miserable experience.
That damn cat!

My step-daughter broke out in hives once, just boom all of a sudden and they were pretty impressive. It was like you said, we could see them raising on her skin, then the next day they were gone. We traced it to Cinnamon Toast Crunch, of all things. Must be something in there she's sensitive to.

Hope you're feeling better in the morning.