Fellowship of The Rings

Hessian

Funny,...one thing I learned a while ago regarding debate is to have a clear definition of terms... Right?

Jimmy...referencing my previous stand on Harry potter-you know very clearly why I have condemned it...no need to cue that videotape again. But, would you agree that the use of evil things for an intended good does not work out?

ie. Churches hold gambling night to raise more $$$ and guess what-they still can't meet their budgets. ("Don't turn my house into a den of thieves!")

You can't play with sorcery, incantation, shape changing, curses, speaking to the dead etc---for a good cause.
Gandolf is urged to apply the ring's powers and do greater deeds! ...He refuses, knowing that it ultimately corrupts.

Eve was offered power..."you will be like God, knowing good & evil"-she went for it and paid dearly.

Now on to that definition of terms thing:
may I quote you JR?
"Potter, as a human boy, exhibits typical behavior of human boys (ie some disobedience, some rebellion) but none of that is EVIL."
So, what does this make your definition of Evil? If disobedience and rebellion doesn't make the list,..umm, how about a little white lie-no, that's not evil...um, how about stealing if you wanted to pay it back...na, that's not evil either right?
Do you get my drift? Don't belittle evil, don't water it down, don't reserve it to just a few "biggies."-you make a huge gray zone without a clear right & wrong.
JR,I bet I didn't clarify the issue for you did I?
Veritas, (truth)

Jimmyrich

No, Hessain, I actually do find some understanding in what you said.  My perception of "evil" is surely more grey than one that you would accept. In fact, I tend to agree with the idea that "good" and "evil" don't even really exist in any underlying form.  They, to me, are social constructs designed to separate the productive from counterproductive things/behaviors in life.
Example:
-Military might: missles, bombs, guns, knives: all things that are "evil" in that their very nature is to destroy/kill. However we use them in our "war on terrorism" and it's for "good."
-Disobedience/rebellion: Civil Rights, The Revolutionary War, Ending Apartheid; all rebellions against the norm of the time but all were viewed as steps forward in our history.
In both cases, the acts/objects themselves carry no inherint "evil" because, depending on the circumstances, they CAN do a great good.  So merely applying a blanket definition of Evil into Black and White, Cut and Dry terms isn't really a practical way of defining the world as far as I'm concerned.  "thou shalt not steal, kill, lie etc...except when applicable? This world is far too complex for that.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
PmoneyandTT,

When you say, “Watching the Wizards play - what does that have to do with anything.. I don't own the team - so I can't pick the name - if I could it wouldn't of been wizards.. Thats a stupid name - just like alot of other NBA names..” That is exactly the point you missed during the Harry Potter discussion.  Reading, or now watching, Harry Potter is just a fantasy book/movie being enjoyed by many people old and young.  It has inspired children to become avid readers.  It neither condones nor encourages any type of behavior you described.  It doesn’t mean a thing.  It’s only a book.  My wife has read the four books at least three times and took one of the grandkids to the movie.  She loved all of it and has provided me with some excellent insight into the book. It is simply a fantasy, no different from any entertainment item out there.  It has nothing to do with Satanic worship, curses, or demonic behavior.  It, as most stories, is a battle of good versus evil and Harry is the good.  Harry and friends use a little magic to get the job done, but everyone knows it is fantasy, highly entertaining fantasy.

If you don’t want to read it or see it, just as I have no desire to, that is fine.  If you don’t want to let your kids experience shear enjoyment and fun of one’s imagination, that is your call.  Just don’t try to make it out to be a Satanic guide to witchcraft as that is not what it is.  You’ll probably have a problem with these books and movies because it has a lot of the same sort of fantasy and, you know, fun.  

(Edited by Ken King at 8:05 pm on Dec. 19, 2001)

zamm - $6800 for a ring - you are way to cheap..

ha ha ha ha ha

Sxy makes 6 figures - she should be able to buy her own ring - get you one also..

PmoneyandTT

I don't remember putting christy in any category..

I read my bible - I believe what I read - I lead my life in obedience. THE KEY word is I..

And Play - come on girl join the fun. What do you think about all of this lord of the rings? do you know anything about the movie or books?  

SxyPrincess

Play,

You know...it's not the cost of a "ring" that matters.  It's the love for each other when you are in a relationship.  

One day you will grow up and learn there's more to life than money.  And maybe one day you will pay your OWN bills instead of daddy forking out the funds.

Jealousy isn't going to get you anywhere...so don't hate!!!

PmoneyandTT

If its true what she is saying - I don't think she will have to pay for any bills.. Usually when your rich - your not in debt...

Your right its about the love - but dang 1 or 2 carats looks nice on some nicely done nails..

B

BigBrothaCon

To tell you the truth, I plan on seeing this movie because I have an interest in seeing it.  I really did not have an interest in seeing Harry Potter so I did not even bother, but my kids will not see either movie because I do not feel they could grasp what any of it means.  I believe that both writers had different meanings behind their books and I think maybe some of you fail to realize the grassroots differences between the two authors.  I don't claim to be an expert on any of this, but whether or not the two movies have similarities there are significant differences between the two.  I think Hessian pointed them out in his own way.

My only problem with this whole conversation is that Jimmy and Christy are continually holding some type of grudge against some of us and you guys continually try to degrade us.  I don't remember ever attacking any of you guys and I think you guys are really getting too personal about the things you are saying.  Its discriminatory and self-righteous.  

Christy, I have nothing against you and neither does my sister TT.  We disagree, but can't we disagree without getting too personal about it.  You are a Christian and so am I.  We have different views on what the Bible says true enough, but who's to say my interpretation is better than yours.  Nobody is saying that.  Your responsible for your own relationship with God, and vice-versa.  

My relationship with God is my business as is yours.  As far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with going to see any movie as long as you understand what is real and what is not real and what you should do and what you should not do.  It all comes down to your relationship with God and what it is that He would have you do.

P.S.  Christy I was wondering why you replace the "o" in God with a dash? Just curious.

Christy

b*tch rocket
BBC.  I was always taught to spell God "G-d", not really sure why, has just become a habit.  It's incredibly annoying to my husband, but old habits are hard to break! :)

I didn't mean to be so snitty on the religious front.  It's just that I, as a Christian, don't see the evil in Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.  I'm still completely amazed that "Christians" have their undies in a bunch over Harry Potter.

I apologize once again for being rude, was one of those kinda days.

Hessian

Yup...just saw it last night.
3 hours of sensory overload. I was even assaulted by 20 minutes of previews to movies including "Queen of the Damned."...not something I wish to repeat.

Those whom I was with said it held very closely to the book and generally liked it...arguing scenes and characters for an hour later. Me, I simply don't like fantasy plots. When some character bursts on to the scene with a name I can't pronounce yelling about some unknown monster with this or that special power so the characters pull some special powder that makes a wing-ding snozzles stop the avenging blubniks........get the point?...utterly baffling.
I was wise not to bring my 6 year old...the previews would be enough to cause nightmares!

Anyway...I'm not interested in seeing the rest of the trilogy...3 hours of sensory overload is enough.
oh yeah...settings were awesome, costuming excellent, sound-overwhelming......it was just too much.

DO NOT mis-interpret this! If you are into sci-fi fantasy stuff-knock yourself out and enjoy this...Its just not my bag.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Yep. Seen it several times by now. And admittedly, if you haven't read Tolkien, you might get a little less out of it. I've gone with people who haven't read it, who were able to follow it entirely, and enjoyed it. If you set your mind to it, you can enjoy it every bit as much as if it were about any subject with which you were unfamiliar.

For those well familiar with it, it follows it so well, I found myself going back to read more of it, again. Honestly, the next movie will probably be the most visually exciting of the three, since it will deal with battles at Helm's Deep, and at Isengard, and (I think)with Shelob. The last one might be the most boring for the ones who haven't read it, because the story continues considerably after it "ends".

Still can't wait. I've loved this story all my life.

S

ShellyCW

I'm glad this forum got back on topic.. I was going to post before but it seemed out of place among the discussions of good/evil and true christians.  Anyway, I received the whole set of books from my brother, but strangely he forgot that I can't read (or speak) German.  So I was a bit lost at times during The Lord of The Rings.  For example, what the heck was going on between Arwen and the guy she gave her necklace to?  The movie was visually stunning, especially the landscapes.  Hessian was right in saying it was a sensory overload.  Unfortunately, it was a bit long for my tastes... and I have gladly sat through The Godfather a number of times.  Bottom line:  If you're a fan of the books, you'll probably love this movie in the theaters.  For those of us who haven't read the books, catch it on video or DVD so you can pause the movie, and be comfortable on your own couch.  :yay:

(Edited by ShellyCW at 1:50 pm on Jan. 12, 2002)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, folks, I <i>finally</i> saw Lord of the Rings and it was incredible.  My daughter is such a fanatic about it (and Frodo) that I resisted for months.  She talks about it incessantly and has seen it every weekedn since it's release.  Needless to say, I was so bored by it that I had no real desire to spend 3 hours in a movie theater watching it.  But I'm glad I did!

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, do so quickly before it leaves the theaters - this is a movie that MUST be seen on the big screen.

BudoPo

Geez, is LOTR still playing in theaters?  I thought it'd be coming out on video/DVD soon.  Personally, I liked it a lot, though it's kind of long.  I don't know why some people get hung up on witchcraft and the like, but that's their business, I suppose.

Anyway, does anyone know when Harry Potter is coming out on DVD?  I haven't seen it, so was thinking of renting it.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Vrai, glad you liked it.  The best thing about it is, there are two more to follow.  Does anyone know exactly when the next one is going to be in theatres?

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Each of the remaining sequels are at Christmastime - this year for The Two Towers, and next year for The Return of the King.