FEMA: La. Homes Must Be Raised Off Ground

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
A few residents guessed correctly when they figured their moldy, mud-stained homes might have to be lifted off the ground to qualify for flood insurance or federal rebuilding aid in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

The guidelines recommend that thousands of homes and businesses in the area be raised at least 3 feet. Property owners who ignore the guidelines risk losing out on government aid to rebuild and could miss an opportunity for lower flood insurance premiums.
:yay: Though I'm not sure 3 feet would've helped a whole lot with Katrina. :ohwell:

ylexot

Super Genius
Not sure, but I think all the water lines I've seen were about waist high...so 3' should be good.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
crabcake said:

Very interesting. I have a couple of friends who are moving to New Orleans this summer to do construction work for the rebuilding effort. Based on this, they're going to have a lot of work to keep them occupied. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
notquitesain1 said:
so ignorant
:lmao:

I hope they get their stuff together soon. I've been talking up NOLA since Larry and I have been married, promising to take him some day. It would vex me if he died never having drank a Hurricane while walking down Bourbon Street, never listened to jazz on the streets while eating beignets at Cafe du Monde.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
:lmao:

I hope they get their stuff together soon. I've been talking up NOLA since Larry and I have been married, promising to take him some day. It would vex me if he died never having drank a Hurricane while walking down Bourbon Street, never listened to jazz on the streets while eating beignets at Cafe du Monde.
The French Quarter survived well. Beignets and chicory coffee at Cafe du Monde, yeah buddy.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What next?

The guidelines recommend that thousands of homes and businesses in the area be raised at least 3 feet. Property owners who ignore the guidelines risk losing out on government aid to rebuild and could miss an opportunity for lower flood insurance premiums.

At this rate we'll be building cities on ground not below sea level.

Wonder how they came up with thee feet seeings how that wouldn't have helped much of what we saw.