FEMA Question

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Hi everyone, I had a question. My mother lost her business and her home in the hurricane on Friday and I am wondering if anyone has ever used FEMA before? She applied for assistance but we aren't sure what to expect and what they cover. She has no income at this point and isn't sure when she can expect the insurance to kick in or FEMA. If anyone has any experience in a situation like this, I would really like to know what to expect or how to handle this. Thanks.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
They'll most likely provide a small trailor for temporary housing. My SIL, BIL and MIL were all displaced during Andrew. I'd suggest doing a search on FEMA/Andrew related articles for more information. Your mother has a rough road ahead of her. The best thing she can do for herself is get out of the area until it has had time to recover.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
BTW, you're not alone in your concern. My Mother lives in St. Pete. A little damage, but nothing serious. My sis is in Daytona Beach. She's in a pickle right now. They'll both be okay eventually, but not before they're stressed to the limits.

G

geminigrl

I dealt with FEMA when Izzy came through and they weren't much help. My situation I lost a $30,000 van which was only 11 months old at the time and since insurance paid something on it FEMA would not help and they only give I believe 7500 for totaled cars, which would have make me worse off and we went 4 months with 4 kids and no van, so but I'm sure FEMA helps more with housing, maybe place them in a hotel or trailer til everything is done.

Sorry to hear about your family, I hope everything turns out good.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Originally posted by geminigrl
My situation I lost a $30,000 van which was only 11 months old at the time and since insurance paid something on it FEMA would not help and they only give I believe 7500 for totaled cars,
haha
Should of bought Gap Insurance.

Beener

Originally posted by geminigrl
I dealt with FEMA when Izzy came through and they weren't much help. My situation I lost a $30,000 van which was only 11 months old at the time and since insurance paid something on it FEMA would not help and they only give I believe 7500 for totaled cars, which would have make me worse off and we went 4 months with 4 kids and no van, so but I'm sure FEMA helps more with housing, maybe place them in a hotel or trailer til everything is done.

Sorry to hear about your family, I hope everything turns out good.

It's all coming together now. This is the forumite formerly known as lquade.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Beener
It's all coming together now. This is the forumite formerly known as lquade.
:slapagoldstaronyourhead: :clap:

G

geminigrl

Sorry. It was actually lfquade. Hi there, Leona, how have you been?

:blushing: Hi, I'm ok. How have you been Beener?

G

geminigrl

How come here you act like you don't know who lfquade is:...

But here you admit that you are her:...

:confused: :confused:

Did you come here to start with me?

I went by lfquade not lquade, that's all. :smile: