FEMA Was Aware of a New Orleans Hurricane

I discovered tonight that FEMA had warning of the devastating effects of a Hurricane hitting New Orleans as of last year. During the summer of 2004, the LSU Hurricane Center staff worked with the Louisiana Office of Emergency Preparedness, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and emergency officials from several parish, state, and federal agencies to help disaster response teams plan for search and rescue missions, medical care, sheltering, temporary housing, school restoration, and debris management. Using a computer model, the Hurricane PAM Exercise was conducted. Using realistic weather and damage data generated by the National Weather Service and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the LSU Hurricane Center showed with winds of 120 mph, the fictional Hurricane Pam as a Category Three storm that would pour 20 inches of rain on parts of southeast Louisiana. In addition, more than one million residents would be forced to evacuate and nearly 600,000 buildings would be destroyed. Emergency preparedness plans were developed. For more information concerning the results see the following link: http://www.lsu.edu/highlights/052/pam.html. The information almost perdicts KATRINA to the tee.

I want to know why those plans were not put in to action. :angry:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Your answer has been given...

... among the hundreds of pages of threads written in the past week. Go check News and Current Events and Politics. :yay:

willie

Ask US Senator Mary L. Landrieu (D-La.) what she did with all the money earmarked for levee maintenance?

So far, the La. leaders aren't doing well in this thread.

Triggerfish

cwmartin59 said:
I discovered tonight that FEMA had warning of the devastating effects of a Hurricane hitting New Orleans as of last year.

It was on CNN and FOX news last year after the FLA hurricanes. It was even announced on one of the local papers a couple of months ago that if a major hurricane hit the area they would pretty much be on their own since the govt (state and federal) would not be able to respond quick enough.

hvp05

cwmartin, please follow this thread and the enclosed link. Read paragraphs 3 - 5.

Heck, I'll make it easier on you and quote a substantive bit:
FEMA has always been primarily a federal financing agency, providing funding to the locals after the crisis hits to help them respond and rebuild.
Do you have a clue yet? FEMA did exactly what it was supposed to do. It's the responsibility of the New Orleans city government to watch over that city, as it is the responsibility of the Louisiana government to watch over that state... THAT'S WHY THEY EXIST.

C

czygvtwkr

That tons of bodies could be refering to dead rats, NO had plenty of those when I was there.

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
cwmartin59 said:
I discovered tonight that FEMA had warning of the devastating effects of a Hurricane hitting New Orleans as of last year. During the summer of 2004, the LSU Hurricane Center staff worked with the Louisiana Office of Emergency Preparedness, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and emergency officials from several parish, state, and federal agencies to help disaster response teams plan for search and rescue missions, medical care, sheltering, temporary housing, school restoration, and debris management. Using a computer model, the Hurricane PAM Exercise was conducted. Using realistic weather and damage data generated by the National Weather Service and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the LSU Hurricane Center showed with winds of 120 mph, the fictional Hurricane Pam as a Category Three storm that would pour 20 inches of rain on parts of southeast Louisiana. In addition, more than one million residents would be forced to evacuate and nearly 600,000 buildings would be destroyed. Emergency preparedness plans were developed. For more information concerning the results see the following link: http://www.lsu.edu/highlights/052/pam.html. The information almost perdicts KATRINA to the tee.

I want to know why those plans were not put in to action. :angry:

People have known what a hurricane could do to NO for many many years and CHOSE to do nothing. UFB. Worst than that is the people of NO have tried to throw the blame elsewhere. NBC News reported that NO receive more money over the last 10 years to repair and reconstruct their infrastructure of canals and levees. What happened to all of that cash??? Obvously not used on the levees. :whistle:

gumby said:
People have known what a hurricane could do to NO for many many years and CHOSE to do nothing. UFB. Worst than that is the people of NO have tried to throw the blame elsewhere. NBC News reported that NO receive more money over the last 10 years to repair and reconstruct their infrastructure of canals and levees. What happened to all of that cash??? Obvously not used on the levees. :whistle:
New stadium, private jet, Ford F-150 pick ups.....

N.O. police dept. has 3 rescue boats. 2 do not work. Way to go Nagin!!

I can't wait for the investigation into this mess. Heads better roll.

hvp05

ylexot said:
I could have told them that when I was in elementary school and learned:
Well see, there you go... I am doubtful that many N.O. residents ever graduated elementary school.

ylexot said:
This is not rocket science people.
Maybe you should run for mayor there. :lol: