Female Parakeet

ProudMomma

I have a female parakeet, about 1 1/2, I've had for about 7 months. In the last month, she started doing "weird" things to one of the toys in her cage, and when I said something to my stepdad, he said I need to get her a mate because she is probably getting eggbound. Anybody know anything about this?

Roman

roman

It sounds like your Parakeet is probably a Male, and is probably having s little FUN with his toy. It's normal. If it's a Female, and possibly egg-bound, you do need to take her to the Vet. I've heard that you can put some cooking oil on the area, to help her have the egg, but I am not sure about that, so it's best to get Professional advice.

mizteresa1965

It sounds like your Parakeet is probably a Male, and is probably having s little FUN with his toy. It's normal. If it's a Female, and possibly egg-bound, you do need to take her to the Vet. I've heard that you can put some cooking oil on the area, to help her have the egg, but I am not sure about that, so it's best to get Professional advice.

No, definately female. I think she's horny. She has this toy that goes on the perch, the looks like a little ferris wheel with plastic balls with bells inside, and she gets on it and humps it...HUMPS IT...she always does it around dinner time. But she seriously humps it, flaps her wings and tweets, gets louder and louder, then she done. So, don't think she's egg bound, more like horny bound. I have NEVER seen a bird act like this before. So, she either needs a male companion..........or a cigarette.

But has anyone heard of behavior like this?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
She is horney she will be ok..mess up her cage..dont let her have a nesting spot..she is either trying to feed or mate with the toy..take it out..

egg bound they sit at the bottom of the cage very very sick looking..you can grab and feel the egg in the canal..you break it there and it will pass...this is NOT what she is doing now..that usually happens to a female that is low in calcium that is laying and laying and not sitting to hatch..make sure if she starts laying give her a cuddle bone..she is fine just mess her cage up some..make it look different to her and if she has a mirror take it out..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 288

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I have a female parakeet, about 1 1/2, I've had for about 7 months. In the last month, she started doing "weird" things to one of the toys in her cage, and when I said something to my stepdad, he said I need to get her a mate because she is probably getting eggbound. Anybody know anything about this?

No, definately female. I think she's horny. She has this toy that goes on the perch, the looks like a little ferris wheel with plastic balls with bells inside, and she gets on it and humps it...HUMPS IT...she always does it around dinner time. But she seriously humps it, flaps her wings and tweets, gets louder and louder, then she done. So, don't think she's egg bound, more like horny bound. I have NEVER seen a bird act like this before. So, she either needs a male companion..........or a cigarette.

But has anyone heard of behavior like this?

:confused:

mizteresa1965

She is horney she will be ok..mess up her cage..dont let her have a nesting spot..she is either trying to feed or mate with the toy..take it out..

egg bound they sit at the bottom of the cage very very sick looking..you can grab and feel the egg in the canal..you break it there and it will pass...this is NOT what she is doing now..that usually happens to a female that is low in calcium that is laying and laying and not sitting to hatch..make sure if she starts laying give her a cuddle bone..she is fine just mess her cage up some..make it look different to her and if she has a mirror take it out..

Actually, just got a bigger cage for her.......she moves all over the place, so yeah.......horny little tweety! :)

Thanks for all the opinions.....and Rose......love the pic!