Fencing

IntegritysDream

My mom might be out of a job the first of the year due to it closing down, so we might have to move to my grandmothers in VA and she has a old tractor barn that we are going to fix up and put a stall in and she has a good amount of acers so we are going to put a pasture and bring my horse up there and live in my g-mas house if it comes to that in order to keep my horse. My mom wants to put the wire that has the squares in it, but i told her that its dangerous casue my horse could get his hoof caught! And then she wanted to put the white electric fencing you see up, but indy would be out of that in 3.5 seconds... What kind of fenceing can be used for horses that isnt too expensive, sturdy and safe? Wood fencing can be alot $$ and ive heard about that plastic fencing works good??

W

WhoCares

My mom might be out of a job the first of the year due to it closing down, so we might have to move to my grandmothers in VA and she has a old tractor barn that we are going to fix up and put a stall in and she has a good amount of acers so we are going to put a pasture and bring my horse up there and live in my g-mas house if it comes to that in order to keep my horse. My mom wants to put the wire that has the squares in it, but i told her that its dangerous casue my horse could get his hoof caught! And then she wanted to put the white electric fencing you see up, but indy would be out of that in 3.5 seconds... What kind of fenceing can be used for horses that isnt too expensive, sturdy and safe? Wood fencing can be alot $$ and ive heard about that plastic fencing works good??

Glad you told your mom abut the danger of chicken wire.

Electric fence if installed correctly can be pretty strong. I mean it has knocked me on my tush.

I am sorry that your mom is losing her job.

IntegritysDream

I dont know what she was talking about, when itold her that, she said no im not talking about chicken wire, theres another kind of wire fence that has squares in it apperently, but either way i dont like wire, its still dangerous casue ive heard many horror stories about wire in feilds that was suppose to be safe for horses.

And its okay, its not a sure thing, well it is but it isnt, but the only thing im sad about is leaving my 3 great instructors, alothough ms sadie will be leaving anyways!!!!! but my 2 best friends trailer up to VA all the time for lessons so id still see them al the time, and theres a big horse farm (this lady just has alot of horses.. not like a lesosn barn) behind my gmas and its right in horse country so im like HELL YEAH! and who knows, indy might get lonely so theres that possiblilty if my mom gets a good job up there and gets back on her feet of me getting another horse! but id rather get a cheep trailer to trailer down here and take lessons with my 3 trainers at least once a month as well as find a nice teacher up there. only thing that sucks is i wouldnt have a ring or jumps for a while =( unless my uncles built a few for me after helping fixing up the barn. and i just got electric wire for a fence rail for a ring, or went Xcountry :lmao:

bosox

There is a no critter fence that is a wire fence for horses...I don't care for it b/c I think it also runs the risk of a horse getting caught up in it...but it is out there--used by many of the newer farms in AA/CA county--and it is just as expensive as 3 board fencing.

The plastic stuff that you mention is also very expensive. Your cheapest route will be electrical tape and posts. At least you can pack it up when you leave--or change the field size as needed. I suppose you can train your horse to respect the fence. If the wire is hot--most do.

IntegritysDream

yeah i dont like wire. I never seen him in electric paddocks before, but just with his personalitly, and its so close to a road, it just makes me nervous if there was that random moment where something happened and he went right through it.

FrmGrl

Get some!
There is a fence that has square like holes made so horses do not get hooves stuck in them. It is not chicken wire and is made for horses. I have seen it at one very nice barn in Florida. I am not sure how expensive it is however. We bought Centaur HTP and it was very expensive. Safe fence has some tape products that are reasonable and can attach to a wood pole instead of metal as well. Its easy for horses to see and can be eletrified.

eventrder

There is a fence that has square like holes made so horses do not get hooves stuck in them. It is not chicken wire and is made for horses. I have seen it at one very nice barn in Florida. I am not sure how expensive it is however. We bought Centaur HTP and it was very expensive. Safe fence has some tape products that are reasonable and can attach to a wood pole instead of metal as well. Its easy for horses to see and can be eletrified.

I have had the best luck with electric but dont buy the small strands buy the 2 inch thick tape, it is white so they can see it and it has one hell of a zap to it if your box is turned up, you just have to make sure you keep the fence line trimmed up. Its the only fence that I have come across that my bad little pony wont try to run through or go under plus its the only thing that the deer at my place cant run through. The deer just run right through the thinner stuff and it breaks in half. Good Luck!

fredsaid2

The wire fencing you're thinking of is called 'no-climb'. The squares are smaller on the bottom than the top to keep them from putting a hoof through. It's a very safe fencing option. I don't think it's cheap, but nothing is. Money-wise your best bet is electric. Tape is a more visual barrier for them than wire.

I hope your potential move works out for the best. Living w/ family in VA could turn out to be great!

W

WhoCares

I have to say that I learned something new about fencing today. I didn't know that there was fencing like that. I was wrong. SO I learned something new!!!

mingiz

Horse Poor
System Fencing - Wire Mesh Fence
there is a wire fence that is no climb. They usually use a top board for support and visual. Some of the larger farms use this instead of expensive board fencing.

:yeahthat:
I have used the wire type fencing with and without a top board for as long as I've had horses. As long as you install it correctly it will last a long time. I have never had a hoof caught up in one, I prefer it..JMO

Tazgirl

yeah i dont like wire. I never seen him in electric paddocks before, but just with his personalitly, and its so close to a road, it just makes me nervous if there was that random moment where something happened and he went right through it.

It will only take one time of him getting zapped and he will learn. Even when my fence is off now my horses won't go near white tape.....

Last edited:

Sparks

I really like the safe fence 2" tape. I prefer the darker colors. Horses will see it just fine. It only takes one good shock for them to respect it. If you're going to be living in a very rural area, it should be fine as your perimeter fence too.

I ordered all ours from Valley Vet.