Fenwick Street Used Books & Music

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Fenwick Street Used Books and Music has been a fixture in Leonardtown for sixteen years! Putting the shop up for sale.

It is with profound sadness that I am announcing that I will be retiring this year. Back problems are catching up with me, and I have come to this decision. However, we are hoping that someone out there might be interested in buying the shop and continuing a bookstore presence in downtown Leonardtown. We have a strong email list, and many, many wonderful customers. Buying the shop, you are buying the whole shop, the inventory (over 20,000 books, records, CDs, and DVDS, as well as all equipment. Rent is up to the owners of the building. If you are interested, please email me at joe@fenwickbooks.com

Please do not post or email me with condolences, of which I am most appreciative. It’s just that I can’t answer every one. If you are interested in owning a bookstore, with a sixteen-year history, lock, stock, and barrel, then please do email me!

I want to thank everyone for your support over the years. It has been my honor to serve your reading needs. We have really enjoyed how supportive our local community, and our out of town visitors have been for all these years. It has been an honor to be part of our vibrant, growing community!

Joe Orlando
joe@fenwickbooks.com

Very sad to see him go but his health comes first. Hope he finds a buyer and the store continues on. Love the store and will miss him!

frequentflier

happy to be living
He reported on FB a couple days ago that someone was breaking and or shooting out windows in that area and he was hit. For a small business owner, replacing windows is expensive.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
He reported on FB a couple days ago that someone was breaking and or shooting out windows in that area and he was hit. For a small business owner, replacing windows is expensive.
Yes, I saw that and it was posted on 6/11. Just horrible and a big hit for a small business. He said he wasn't sure if the insurance would cover it and even if it did, his deductible is $500.

As some of you know, a number of businesses had their windows shot at over Sunday night. I came in this morning (we are closed on Mondays) to find one of mine was shot as well. I don't know what is going to happen, as I just can't afford fixing it. I'm waiting for the police now.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm sorry to hear this. This is also the first I have heard about the vandalism in Town.

Reactions: BOP

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Doesn't the owner of the building have the responsibility to fix/replace frontage windows? Usually, tenants are only responsible for interior things like water heaters, HVAC, etc. But not windows.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

On the FB page, it says he reported it.
Dear dear Mitzi. I was meaning the official reporting of crime from the Sheriff's Office publishing of reported crimes. If they say crime is down, and certain crimes did not happen, and yet, you see evidence of crimes, and someone reported it, and it's not on the Sheriff's website, FB page, or in a press release, well, crime is down, and/or a crime did not happen. What you, though not in this case, or anyone saw, was something entirely different. Take that hole in the book store's window front glass. That hole was probably, and more than likely, caused by the destructive and ruinous glass eating termite. Which is normally the ever devastating fenestram vitreis Cryptotermes cavifrons that is a genus of termites in the family Kalotermitidae variety of termites. This species, Cryptotermes, though known a drywood termite, can easily eat glass too, since glass is dry as well. That long line, which many mistake for being a crack, is how they travel through the glass. See how one tunnel line comes from a wooden area at the bottom of the frame? Those are really just little teeny tiny tunnels for their use. Given more time, that hole will become bigger, and many, many more tunnels will appear as well. It is the store owner's fault for not spraying for glass eating termites. So, no crime occurred.

You see, Mitzi, the mere reporting of a suspected crime does not necessarily mean that there was in fact a crime that occurred, unless those, supreme beings, foremost in that they have been elevated above us mere mortals, with special only unto them, powers, say that a crime has occurred.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BOP

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
From Joe Orlando, owner of Fenwick Street Books:

It looks like I'm going to need to raise $500 to pay my deductible to get the window replaced! Those of you that have offered to help, you can! PayPal me at Joe@fenwickbooks.com, or if you want to send a check, the mailing address is PO Box 1643, Leonardtown, MD 20650. Or just stop by!
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Another business that was vandalized was The Social Coffeehouse:

A lot of you have been asking about the photos of our vandalized windows that were published in the County Times. We're beyond disappointed that a group of joyriders took pleasure in smashing storefront windows throughout Leonardtown, Hollywood, and California, considering many of the affected businesses were small businesses.

Initially, we did not want to give the joyriders the satisfaction of getting a reaction from our business. But in the light of this event, we at Social would like to thank our loyal customers for the outpouring of support and sympathy that has been sincerely heart warming and encouraging. We have received offers for donations, but in lieu of that, we would encourage you all to continue to support small businesses such as ourselves by simply stopping in for a coffee. Every time you walk through the doors of a small business you're supporting a dream as well as the staff and owners behind that dream.

With that being said, keep an eye out for new changes to our menu as well as renovations (and a new window)!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
From The County Times, 06/13/2019 edition, page 6:

Approximately six businesses were vandalized in downtown Leonardtown Sunday night, town officials said, likely with some sort of projectile weapon. Town Administrator Laschelle McKay said the businesses included A&M Glass, Social Coffeehouse, On Our Own and Fenwick Street Used Books and Music as well as Ye Olde Town Café and the Carpenter Office Building across the street from the St. Mary’s County Circuit Court House.

The damage done to the businesses seemed to be to the storefront windows, with several of them having holes
smashed in them, McKay said. “They [police] found some marbles,” McKay said. “It may have been something like a slingshot.” Police are seeking the help of the community in identifying the suspects in the case; part of the suspect vehicle was found on surveillance footage during the vandalism spree. County Commissioner Eric Colvin said the spree was doubly disappointing because those targeted were small businesses. “There’s no place for this in our community,” Colvin said Tuesday.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
New owners!

We will be closed Thursday, July 4th for the holiday!

We have a special event planned for this First Friday! Come and meet the new owners of Fenwick Street Used Books and Music, Jody and Kelli Brouwer from 5-7 PM! They will be here to introduce themselves to all of you! Refreshments will be served!

:yahoo: