Fescue

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
My farmer has enough fescue to hold me through the winter if I can use some along with my orchard grass..I pay $3.25 delivered and stacked for the orchard grass $only $2.75 for the fescue..He will not have enough orchard grass for me for the winter..so I have put the boys and yearlings, 2 yr olds (llamas and horses) on fescue and put the mares and anyone nursing (llamas or horse) on the orchardgrass..does anyone see a problem with this to hold me through the winter??

Attachments

• hay1.jpg
    hay1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 84

Robin

You are doing right by not letting the mare eat it. Bred mare can have it up to the 5-6 month of gestation. The vet has a product in a syringe like a wormer or bute call Don perigon(sp?) to remove fecue toxins that build up in the mare to promote abortion or still birth. By what you are doing feeding only to geldings and none breeding livestock you should not have an issue.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Robin said:
You are doing right by not letting the mare eat it. Bred mare can have it up to the 5-6 month of gestation. The vet has a product in a syringe like a wormer or bute call Don perigon(sp?) to remove fecue toxins that build up in the mare to promote abortion or still birth. By what you are doing feeding only to geldings and none breeding livestock you should not have an issue.

Yes I read about that....Misty is the last one pregnant...she is due first week of Sept...she is on orchard grass her whole pregnancy...Jose and Bubba get it too because they are in with her..but when I move her to the foaling stall they will get fescue too....I am NOT breeding anyone llama or horse in 2007 so no babies in 2008..I will re breed all in spring of 2008 for 2009 babies. I am not even giving the fescue to the ones that have already foaled or creaed..is that necessary or can the nursing ones have it? Thanks I was hoping I was ok..

I say no babies in 2008 but I have 2 yearling llamas in with my 2 new boys so I may have 2 crias in late 2007...

Cowgirl

Robin said:

Domperidone

Cowgirl

Pasofever said:
Yes I read about that....Misty is the last one pregnant...she is due first week of Sept...she is on orchard grass her whole pregnancy...Jose and Bubba get it too because they are in with her..but when I move her to the foaling stall they will get fescue too....I am NOT breeding anyone llama or horse in 2007 so no babies in 2008..I will re breed all in spring of 2008 for 2009 babies. I am not even giving the fescue to the ones that have already foaled or creaed..is that necessary or can the nursing ones have it? Thanks I was hoping I was ok..

I say no babies in 2008 but I have 2 yearling llamas in with my 2 new boys so I may have 2 crias in late 2007...

I think you'll be fine. Just don't give it to lactating mares, or mares in the last 90 days of gestation.

Does it have the same effects on llamas? We grazed bred cows on it right up to calving, and they were fine. Sheep are also not as effected as horses. I wasn't aware llamas were also so sensitive to it. :shrug:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Cowgirl said:
I think you'll be fine. Just don't give it to lactating mares, or mares in the last 90 days of gestation.

Does it have the same effects on llamas? We grazed bred cows on it right up to calving, and they were fine. Sheep are also not as effected as horses. I wasn't aware llamas were also so sensitive to it. :shrug:

I have read llamas too..I am NOT taking a chance....except for the two yearling crias...and they will be off of it by spring time...

I would feel awful if something happened when I could have prevented it...so all mares (llamas and horses) pregnant or nursing are on the straight orchardgrass...

Robin

Cowgirl said:
Domperidone
Thanks cowgirl, thats why I posted a link...Its been a loooonnnng time since I had to use it. Since we are in a high area that average pastures have fescue in them there is always a chance something could be attributed to a foal...still born or abortion