Fewer dog bites since pit bull ban

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Fewer dog bites since pit bull ban | Winnipeg | News | Winnipeg Sun

Has Winnipeg’s 1990 pit bull ban prevented serious dog attacks?

A new study suggests that might be the case.

A University of Manitoba study found breed-specific legislation (BSL) that banned “pit bull terrier-type dogs” in Winnipeg was followed by only a slight dip in the number of people hospitalized after dog bite injuries. The average rate of hospitalizing bites in Winnipeg pre-ban was 2.93 per 100,000 people per year, which dipped to 2.81 post-ban.

But when you compare injured youth in Winnipeg to Brandon, a city without BSL, the apparent decline is more noticeable.

Dr. Malathi Raghavan found that for every hospitalization seen in Brandon youth, there were 1.28 hospitalizations before BSL and 0.92 hospitalizations after BSL in Winnipeg.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
1. ban stupid people

2. law where only responsible owners have dogs

3. ban all dogs!!!

:coffee:

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
1. ban stupid people

3. ban all dogs!!!

This all comes back to selective breeding. For some unknown reason we cannot pick and choose human traits to breed out of our species!

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
This all comes back to selective breeding. For some unknown reason we cannot pick and choose human traits to breed out of our species!

TRUE DAT!!!

cuz if we could i would take my neighbor and have her chit scooped out like a melon.. so she cant breed anymore!!!

hell... we get rid of stupid people... may be over half of the population :coffee:

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
TRUE DAT!!!

cuz if we could i would take my neighbor and have her chit scooped out like a melon.. so she cant breed anymore!!!

hell... we get rid of stupid people... may be over half of the population :coffee:

Well we could if we would repeal the majority of the laws that have been established that keep such individuals well protected (Seat belt laws, Fireworks, Firearms). Things would be messy to clean up but over time they would kill themselves off.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I ran a dog bite call the other night on the ambo. Woman has pit, fosters another pit. The 2 play, the 2 start fighting and woman thinks it's OK to try to break it up... Her pit got her in the hand. Both dogs covered in blood, both get quarantined and foster gets a ride back to second hope. Animal control, said this could of been any type of of dog- It just happens.

Had it happen to me with my GSD, starts out playing over ball with my beagle, turns into fight, I get bit. I pass out- :killingme (I miss my puppies :(

1. ban stupid people

3. ban all dogs!!!

Let us ensure we define "responsible owner" as someone who accepts that there are dogs that are born aggressive that will forever remain a threat so it is recognized that euthinasia is an acceptable and humane option.

Chris0nllyn

Winnipeg, Manitoba far behind Calgary in community safety | National Canine Research Council

The authors’ interest in this analysis may also have benefited from a lack of awareness that neither “pit bull” ban Winnipeg (2.93 DBIH/100,000 person-years before the ban, 2.81 DBIH/100,000 person-years after) nor breed-neutral Brandon (2.50 per 100,000 person-years for the entire study period), the only two urban areas in Manitoba, compare with the City of Calgary, Alberta. In the past 18 months, a total of six Calgary citizens were hospitalized because of a dog bite-related injury. Since Calgary is a city of 1+ million people, that works out to a rate of 0.4 (that’s right: 0.4 DBIH/100,000 people).

It appears that these authors have taken up the cudgel that Winnipeg officials have set down. In order to find a justification for the breed ban, they created an analysis that ignored the most commonly accepted and easily understood scientific standard for measuring the effectiveness of a treatment, or change in public policy: was the outcome better after the treatment or implementation of new policy, or not? That is the only useful question, one that has already been dealt with instructively in the scientific literature.

Try as they might, the authors could not escape the truth that a “pit bull” ban has not made the people of Winnipeg safer.

Manufacturing a mathematical analysis that obscures the available data does not promote community safety. It is bad for dogs, and bad for science.

Swinggg...and a miss.

Last edited:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I ran a dog bite call the other night on the ambo. Woman has pit, fosters another pit. The 2 play, the 2 start fighting and woman thinks it's OK to try to break it up... Her pit got her in the hand. Both dogs covered in blood, both get quarantined and foster gets a ride back to second hope. Animal control, said this could of been any type of of dog- It just happens.

Had it happen to me with my GSD, starts out playing over ball with my beagle, turns into fight, I get bit. I pass out- :killingme (I miss my puppies :(

so true....

this happens in my house...
GSD vs Bloodhound

Bloodound vs Bloodhound

Bloodhound vs yorkie
(does anyone see a pattern??)
I ONCE tried to prevent it from starting... i was a hair too late... and my arm took the hit! :jet:

oohh could you Pm me who you run with??? I have a few questions:howdy:

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
so true....

this happens in my house...
GSD vs Bloodhound

Bloodound vs Bloodhound

Bloodhound vs yorkie
(does anyone see a pattern??)
I ONCE tried to prevent it from starting... i was a hair too late... and my arm took the hit! :jet:

oohh could you Pm me who you run with??? I have a few questions:howdy:

Not the Bloodhound, he's so sweet!

Chris0nllyn

I :fixed it fer ya: YVW :love:

Let's see.

In 2011, there were 31 dog bit related fatalities...out of 78+ Million dogs.

The news media regularly describe dogs as members of specific breeds. Yet, NCRC’s investigations over the years show that a majority of the breed descriptors assigned by the news media cannot be documented or otherwise considered reasonable (through pedigree, DNA or otherwise). For example, NCRC investigations of the dog bite-related fatalities in 2010 showed that in only eleven of the cases could the breed descriptors assigned to the dogs be documented, or otherwise considered reasonable. Eight different kinds of dogs were identified in those eleven incidents. The breed composition of all the other dogs was indeterminate, whatever the news media reported about them. In fact, in three cases in 2010, news stories identified dogs and attributed breeds to those dogs that detectives later determined were NOT the dogs involved in the incident. The dog(s) responsible were never identified or captured. News outlets, having moved on to other, pressing issues, never corrected this.

There is no scientific evidence that one kind of dog is more likely to injure a human being than another kind of dog. There is no evidence that, absent circumstances specifically associated with mating or maternal protectiveness, a dog being intact should be understood as a cause of aggressive behavior toward human beings. And for every “resident” dog that injured a human being, multitudes sadly similarly kept injured no one.

http://www.nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/uploaded_files/tinymce/NCRC Preliminary Report 2011.pdf

Bottom line...

ALL dog owners have a responsiblity to make sure their pet doesn't harm another human being. You, and others base your ignorant comments on nothing more than media reports that contstantly get proven wrong.

Licensing your pet, provide proper care, training and socialization of your pet, spay and neuter your pet, and don't allow your pet to become a threat or nuisance in your community. Doing that, along with enforcement of violations already in the books, combined with education will help create better pet owners, and result in safe, humane communities. Something that breed specific legislation will never do.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Not the Bloodhound, he's so sweet!

oohh yes.... he is the main one!!! He is a true ARSEhole!

everyone gets to see the sweet side of him... but i have said it before... that breed is not as sweet as everyone thinks.

my female is a big B!!!