Fiberglass repair - maybe

bohman

I have a sailboat rudder that has a few small cracks in the gelcoat around the pintles. I think they're just surface cracks and nothing to worry about, but does anybody know an honest shop/repairman that would know better?

I know the standard answer that you'll get most times you ask whether something needs work or not - "yep, and I can do X,Y, & Z repair for only a couple hundred!" :lmao: I just don't want to walk into a shop with "sucker" written on my forehead.

TurboK9

I have a sailboat rudder that has a few small cracks in the gelcoat around the pintles. I think they're just surface cracks and nothing to worry about, but does anybody know an honest shop/repairman that would know better?

I know the standard answer that you'll get most times you ask whether something needs work or not - "yep, and I can do X,Y, & Z repair for only a couple hundred!" :lmao: I just don't want to walk into a shop with "sucker" written on my forehead.

If you remove the rudder you can do a 'leak' test to check the depth of the cracks.

However, as long as you don't see evidence of delamination, I'd just seal it and slap it back on, personally. :shrug:

bohman

If you remove the rudder you can do a 'leak' test to check the depth of the cracks.

However, as long as you don't see evidence of delamination, I'd just seal it and slap it back on, personally. :shrug:

Leak test? The rudder is already off & sitting in the garage, the only reason I noticed anything is that the wooden tiller cracked and the screws holding it on were stubborn. The only thing holding the rudder in place was a cotter pin so I yanked the whole mess to work on it in the comfort of the garage vs. a cold boat.

It's probably fine, as you say, but glass is not my specialty so I'm doubting myself.

gw204

If you haven't already gotten this taken care of, I could swing by after work and give you my non-professional opinion.

I have a 1981 Mako 17 and a 1976 Formula 233 at home in various stages of rebuild, both involving significant glass work.