Fight and fly for your life, Flight 705

glhs837

Power with Control
http://forbiddenknowledgetv.net/fight-for-your-life-federal-express-flight-705-27625

Suppose I was too busy falling in love in 94, so I missed this.

Flight engineer planned to kill both pilots, crashing the aircraft, ensuring that his ex-wife and kids would get a big insurance payday, as he had recently fudged flight logs to give himself more hours and been caught. but he went "high time", so was relegated to passenger and another fight engineer put on board. Crazy story......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Express_Flight_705

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I remember this incident. The outcome was tragic.

According to the Mayday episode, it is likely that Burke first shot Thomson twice. Thomson's own seat was never recovered. Part of a seat that was identified from its serial number as being directly behind Thomson's was found to have two bullet holes in it. Due to the power of the revolver, the bullets must have traveled through Thomson's body, his seat, and then through the seat behind. First Officer Nunn immediately reported to air traffic control that a gun had been fired on board and no further transmissions were received from the crew. At that point, the CVR recorded the cockpit door opening and Flight Attendant Debra Neil telling the cockpit crew, "We have a problem!" Captain Lindamood replied, "What kind of problem?" A shot was heard as Burke shot the flight attendant dead, and announced "I'm the problem." He then fired two more rounds. Most likely, he shot the pilot and copilot once each, incapacitating them, if not outright killing them. Several seconds later, the CVR picked up increasing windscreen noise as the airplane pitched down and accelerated. The remains of the flight data recorder (FDR) indicated Burke had pushed the control column forward into a dive.

The plane crashed into the hillside of a cattle ranch at 4:16 p.m. in the Santa Lucia Mountains near Paso Robles[9] and Cayucos, exploding on impact. The plane was estimated to have crashed slightly faster than the speed of sound, at around 770 mph (1,240 km/h), disintegrating instantly. The aircraft experienced a deceleration of 5,000 times the force of gravity (G-force) when it hit the ground, and was traveling at an approximately 70-degree angle toward the south. The plane struck a rocky hillside, leaving a crater less than two feet deep and four feet across. The remains of 27 passengers were never identified.

SW1771

glhs837

Power with Control
Different one, this was a Fedex flight, and while none of the three who were injured ever flew again due to broken skulls, they got back safely, the nutjob got two life sentences.