Fingers numb, tingly...Is this a sympton of Carpel Tunnel?

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
I don't know what is causing this and haven't been to the doctor yet. This started a few months ago with one shoulder/elbow/hand, and I thought it was because I slept funny, because when I woke up my hand was numb..it went away after I got up and moved around.

Now it's gradually affecting both hands (no more shoulder/elbow) and the feeling ranges from from various stages of tingly to kind of 'tight' feeling. The best I can compare it to is that they are constanly coming out of that 'hand feel asleep' mode...I'm starting to lose some strength in my hands and finding it harder to fasten buttons.

Someone suggested carpel tunnel syndrome and I've done some searches on the internet, but was looking for a real live person who may have experienced carpel tunnel....or perhaps arthritis? Just looking for opinions.

TIA

Geek

SEABREEZE 1957 said:
I don't know what is causing this and haven't been to the doctor yet. This started a few months ago with one shoulder/elbow/hand, and I thought it was because I slept funny, because when I woke up my hand was numb..it went away after I got up and moved around.

Now it's gradually affecting both hands (no more shoulder/elbow) and the feeling ranges from from various stages of tingly to kind of 'tight' feeling. The best I can compare it to is that they are constanly coming out of that 'hand feel asleep' mode...I'm starting to lose some strength in my hands and finding it harder to fasten buttons.

Someone suggested carpel tunnel syndrome and I've done some searches on the internet, but was looking for a real live person who may have experienced carpel tunnel....or perhaps arthritis? Just looking for opinions.

TIA

You might want to see a neurologist to rule out some things. Do you have any other symptoms? Mood changes? Balance isses?

K

Kain99

It's marriage bubba... Remember the days before? It's all down hill trust me. :huggy:

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Kain99 said:
It's marriage bubba... Remember the days before? It's all down hill trust me. :huggy:

:killingme My husband would probably agree with the mood changes part...& yes, I have been experiencing moodiness, but thought that had to do with the fact I'll be the big '50' this year....

I need to get that part checked out too (but it's not numb yet)

no balance problems noticed...I did 'pull a muscle' in my neck around the same time the symptons started to worsen, but didn't really put those two together...

princess73

just one of those days...
are you taking any new meds or any pain meds for your neck? I had that problem when I was taking meds after surgery. Carpal Tunnel shouldn't be in both arms at the same time and it doesn't usually affect your shoulders.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I have the same problem but mine is due from the way I sleep. I somehow always have my wrist curled up and I guess it cuts off the circulation. Hard habit to break. I'm suppose to wear a brace to prevent that. It does help but, it's such a pain in the butt... Good luck.....

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
I actually have it all day. I just thought it was poor circulation. It's not bad enough to see a Dr. I just deal with it, just like the rest of the old age stuff. :lalala:

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Dead Eye said:
I had the near same thing a wile back ..the pulled muscle in the neck put pressure on a nerve causing tingle of three fingers and thumb took several mounth to get better

Thanks so much for all the replies....After reading the posts, I'm starting to think this may be my problem...did you go to the doctor & if so what did they do? I keep waiting for it to get better on it's own, but no luck so far.....

I actually forced myself to change the position I sleep and that hasn't provided any relief....

It just feels weird and I'm getting tired of it...I was actually going to consider an actupuncturist, but I'm too chicken:jameo: (I really dislike going to the doctor for anything...somehow they always make me feel guilty of something...)

jbooty

I've had the surgery for both of my wrists.. The surgery has helped my left wrist but my right still bothers me every now and then. Maybe because i'm right handed. Who knows. I started with the cortizone shot in my left wrist and that hurt me so bad days later that I refused the shot in my right hand. Everyone is different though.

This website gives info on the testing they do which isn't really painful. I had to get my testing done in Waldorf and the surgery was done at St. Mary's by Henderson.
http://www.arthritis-treatment-and-relief.com/carpul-tunnel.html

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Seabreeze, get your arse to the doc. It may just be a pinched nerve, but what if it's something more serious and early detection could mean the difference in making it go away, and living with it for the rest of your life?

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
SEABREEZE 1957 said:
:killingme My husband would probably agree with the mood changes part...& yes, I have been experiencing moodiness, but thought that had to do with the fact I'll be the big '50' this year....

I need to get that part checked out too (but it's not numb yet)

no balance problems noticed...I did 'pull a muscle' in my neck around the same time the symptons started to worsen, but didn't really put those two together...

sounds like a pinched nerve...

elaine said:
Seabreeze, get your arse to the doc. It may just be a pinched nerve, but what if it's something more serious and early detection could mean the difference in making it go away, and living with it for the rest of your life?
Yep. She needs to rule things such as TMJ and underactive thyroid, MS, B-12 deficiency. My brother thought he had a major case of carpal in both arms but it turned out he had a major B-12 deficiency and he was able to cure his ailments by simply increasing natural foods rich with B vitamins and a daily B-Complex supplement. The thing is... you don't know what corrective actions to take if you don't get a diagnosis.

Kevlar

kwillia said:
B-12 deficiency.
:yeahthat:

I just finished detox from years of heavy drinking (booze kills B vitamins). The tingling I thought was carpal tunnel or nerve damage is gone, and it's been less than ten days.

It could be something as simple as a vitamin supplement. I'm hoping for the best for you.

Kevlar said:
:yeahthat:

I just finished detox from years of heavy drinking (booze kills B vitamins). The tingling I thought was carpal tunnel or nerve damage is gone, and it's been less than ten days.

It could be something as simple as a vitamin supplement. I'm hoping for the best for you.
My brother had considerable improvement in less than two weeks. It was downright miraculous how fast the body healed itself once given the proper nutrition.

snow_angel2000

Unfortunately, carpal tunnel can affect both hands at the same time. At least in me, it does. Of course, I also have tenosynovitis in both thumbs lol I'm kinda screwed. But anyway, Princess is right, it doesn't usually affect your shoulders. From being in occupational therapy with mine for 9 mths, I learned that a neurologist is better suited to help you with the shoulder and whole arm issue. There is a nerve that goes from your shoulder down the length of your arm, and when it gets pinched or aggravated, it causes the numb/tingling sensation :twitch:. Good luck! :poorbaby:

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Wow...thanks a lot everyone; I think I'll just get my arse to the doctor...I'll let you know the outcome. Hopefully it's not anything too serious.

I'll start taking my vitamins too :huggy:

Again...Thanks so much.