Fios

Restless

I was wondering that too. It took a long time just to get cable here in Hollywood when we first moved here. Fios will be years from now, I imagine.

Wrkn4livn

Anyone know when it will be available here?

So, I can't answer this but I can give you some personal experience. We went with Direct TV when we first got to SoMD. We live up north of you, right near the PG county line. We switched to FISO a few months back. The HD quality is as good as DTV plus, the quality of the customer support is really bad. Very hard to get a hold of a person and when you do, there is a language barrier. I'm fairly sure they are not stationed with America.
Anyway, we switched back to DTV a few months back and we glad we did. Their new systems are really really small. All the TV's run off the main receiver , which is about the size of a regular DVR. All the other TV's have very small receivers. About the size of a portable HD. Just a power cord and the cable line so that saves a lot of space. Again, I've found that the HD quality is better on DTV than on FIOS. We're still stuck with FIOS internet and that slows down the more people use it. It's pretty bad but thats all we have. DTV will give you free set for a couple months or at least, at a reduced rate. If you do go with DTV, we should PM. I can give you more info.
Good luck.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
The FIOS ESL crew came through our neighborhood two years ago. Tore the hell out of my front yard because they were working in the mud of the monsoon season and one of the ESL crew decided it would be OK to drive a deuce and a half across the front part of my yard. Left me with an 18 inch hole about five feet long. They shoveled in some mud and got out of Dodge. Now I get a call from FIOS because I had some work done on my copper-wire telephone lines and they wanted to install FIOS up to my house. I told the lady I had been waiting two years for VERIZON to pay for the repair of my yard (they've been silent except for a monthly phone bill all this time) and she said ACCORDING TO THEIR RECORDS, WE DON'T HAVE FIOS FIBER IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD YET. Sounds like they don't keep very good records when they have a problem. I still don't have FIOS and never will. Only one family out of six in our cul de sac has FIOS 'cause none of them have had a good experience with VERIZON.

willie

We have FIOS in Damascus and Comcast in Calvert. Comcast internet is just as fast as FIOS. On Demand with FIOS is extremely slow to load and sometimes cuts off in the middle of a show. Price is hard to compare. When we had Comcast, before FIOS, the price up there was much more expensive for the exact same package from Comcast in Calvert. Everything up there is more expensive except electricity.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I was wondering that too. It took a long time just to get cable here in Hollywood when we first moved here. Fios will be years from now, I imagine.

:killingme

St. Mary's isn't even a thought

we got Metrocast ... there isn't a market worth the cost of the infrastructure to get the big boys here.

JLS

I live in St Mary's and have DTV.. my problem with DTV is one month I'll pay my bill - the next month I'll go in to pay it and its gone up $7-9 a month and I have no idea what for and have gotten no notification of anything going up because I sure have been taking things OFF to keep my bill under $100/month. but its creeping very close again! ONLY because of THEM creeping - not because I've added anything back..

tercel95

I have DirectTV and I am pretty happy with it overall. I am more concerned about the internet aspect of FIOS. Metrocast is terrible.

red_explorer

I live in St Mary's and have DTV.. my problem with DTV is one month I'll pay my bill - the next month I'll go in to pay it and its gone up $7-9 a month and I have no idea what for and have gotten no notification of anything going up because I sure have been taking things OFF to keep my bill under $100/month. but its creeping very close again! ONLY because of THEM creeping - not because I've added anything back..

Ok...had it for 8 years now, and it hasnt changed....only thing thats changed is pay per view movies....those can add up quickly. Might want to check on that.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
We have FiOS in La Plata and my only complaint is On Demand is sometimes slow to load and a PITA to navigate. No problems with my internet speed and we NEVER lose TV in a storm unless the power goes out!

A few years back I had heard Verizon was scaling back expansion because FiOS had initially expanded so rapidly. Not sure why they stopped altogether.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Unless you purchase something or change your account, your bill should remain constant. One problem with DTV, as with most carriers (like Verizon Wireless), you are grandfathered into your old plan UNTIL you make a change.
For example, we were on the 24.99 / month "Elite" packeage for years. Called up and wanted to upgrade to a HD reciever. Well we needed to add HD but we couldn't do that on "Elite" because "Elite" was no longer offered (long since moved on to "Gold"). Of course "Gold" costs more for a few more channels we don't really wathch but we get the HD> Kaaaa Ching
Check your bill carefully, make sure you aren't being billed for an extra service and check the taxes (they can always go up without notice). But in general my bills are stable unitl I make a change in the account.

SoMdDude

My only complaint about FIOS TV is the cost keeps going up..about to call them and say if you cant cut me a break somehow on how much I am paying, I am leaving and getting DTV. Will be keeping my FIOS internet though!! Love it and has never gone out for me!

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
My only complaint about FIOS TV is the cost keeps going up..about to call them and say if you cant cut me a break somehow on how much I am paying, I am leaving and getting DTV. Will be keeping my FIOS internet though!! Love it and has never gone out for me!

That'll really scare 'em! Verizon is the pits! Just about the worst company in existence! But the other Telecom companies are just about as bad. I lived in Japan and Telecom companies and their personnel actually cared about your issues and always found ways to resolve it. They weren't cheap for phone and internet... but they were pretty good about service. Verizon should take note!

officeguy

I had FIOS up in PG. The experience made me decide that Verizon is one of the incarnations of the devil on earth.
At some point, I took all their crap out of the house, removed the outside connection box, dragged the fiber out of the lawn, piled everything onto their connector box and called them to pick it up.

Haven't spent a penny with them since. Now listed as 'irate customer' in their records and they have stopped trying to sell me stuff.