Fire Ants!

PeoplesElbow

I was just out in my backyard and saw an ant mound, the ants are red and look like they have a stinger on the back end. I didn't get too close as I did not want stung. I didn't know that they were this far north.

I suppose I need to commit genocide.

OrneryPest

lower life form
Yup! We've had fire ants around here since forever. I don't know how to get rid of them (at least any way that my neighbors would find acceptable).

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I was just out in my backyard and saw an ant mound, the ants are red and look like they have a stinger on the back end. I didn't get too close as I did not want stung. I didn't know that they were this far north.

I was standing over my approach to a par 4 after a really good drive, slight dog leg right, on some muni golf course in Ft. Lauderdale, 1994 or so. About 120 to the front, pin in the middle of the green. Perfect angle, perfect, full on pitching wedge. If I hit it good, it will be on the front, short leaves an easy chip or even a putt, open in the front, pretty flat, long is on the green, really good is pin high, bunker on the back. Perfect set up. Perfect. Line it up...a couple waggles, take it away, low and slow...smooth...get to the top....transition...start to unwind INTO the ball and.....................

HOLYMOTHER####INGHELL!!! Who poured gasoline on my legs? And lit it????

Looked down as I began a little dance, and there it was. My first meeting with fire ants.

PeoplesElbow

I also have a mound of fire ants in the front yard, the guy letting his dog #### in my yard found them for me. :lmao:

idiganthro

I grew up in Texas, and certainly don't miss them. They can swarm all over you in a second and the bites cause little blisters. Worse yet is when a kid gets into them. I didn't realize we had them here, thankfully haven't seen them yet.

It's actually the pinchers in front that are the issue. They hold on like little insect bulldogs when they bite.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Fire ants. Welcome to Fl. You will never get rid of them, the best you can do is control them. They will always be around. You think you have them dead, another colony pops up eight feet away. Good luck.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

You muist have been using a magnifying glass to examine them. Fire ants are tiny. I see they have been positively identified as far north as VA, and occasional mounds in southern MD., but mostly to the south. Good luck.

http://articles.extension.org/pages/9725/geographic-distribution-of-fire-ants

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What if wiping out fire ants destroyed a critical balance in nature and lead to whatever they used to eat taking over the planet and destroying human life?