Fire extinguishers...

Ponytail

Nah. Shouldn't be. Imagine the party on the plane when the pilot informs the passengers that they get to live to see another day, in lieue of "AAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....." .

Dunno, I'd much rather hear about a missile being stopped than another plane getting shot down.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Ponytail said:
Nah. Shouldn't be. Imagine the party on the plane when the pilot informs the passengers that they get to live to see another day, in lieue of "AAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....." .

Dunno, I'd much rather hear about a missile being stopped than another plane getting shot down.
I have heard that the two most frequent last words on black boxes are "Oh God" or "Ah sh!t" or some variance on those two. Of the two, I would think "Oh God" is preferable and the two are probably indicative of the final destination of the utterer of the words.

When it comes to missiles, I would much rather have an "Oh God, that was close." rather than an "Aaahhh sh!t." followed by a boom.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What...

Ponytail said:

...is a $1,000,000 per plane system capable of? Stopping a Stinger or Sov equivalent?

It's not like Achmed is gonna rolling in on them in a Mig 27 or something.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
...is a $1,000,000 per plane system capable of? Stopping a Stinger or Sov equivalent?

It's not like Achmed is gonna rolling in on them in a Mig 27 or something.
Maybe, depends on the missile. I am aware of some heat seeker deterrents that could be, shall I say, beneficial. The real question is, as you said, can they get a full up system for a million per plane?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Thank you...

Ken King said:
Maybe, depends on the missile. I am aware of some heat seeker deterrents that could be, shall I say, beneficial. The real question is, can they get a full up system for a million per plane?

..very much. Tech is cool, so very, very cool. But it costs BUCKS.

And I mean expensive not just for the plane. What the hell does the bad guy got???

Ken King

PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
..very much. Tech is cool, so very, very cool. But it costs BUCKS.

And I mean expensive not just for the plane. What the hell does the bad guy got???
Unless you "jacked" the specs and plans and are building your own versus buying them on the market ( :confused: are there open sales of this stuff out there).

Who's the bad guy? Around Israel, who knows what a guy with money can come across while wheeling and dealing out in the desert. Who's got what to sell? It's a world market.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok...

Ken King said:
Unless you "jacked" the specs and plans and are building your own versus buying them on the market ( :confused: are there open sales of this stuff out there).

Who's the bad guy? Around Israel, who knows what a guy with money can come across while wheeling and dealing out in the desert. Who's got what to sell? It's a world market.

...so, then the point stands; For a mil, you ain't doin a whole hell of alot, yes?

Ken King

PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
...so, then the point stands; For a mil, you ain't doin a whole hell of alot, yes?
Depends on what the bad guys got. Might be just what you need or maybe does nothing for you at all. One thing for sure is that you aren't going to get the best of all weapon defensive systems for a million.

I bet it's geared more for heat-seekers as they are the most popular for what I suspect is the skill level of the average missile operator in that region. They get close, sight, fire and let it work. Shoot and forget systems so you can fire it and beat feet.

MMDad

Lem Putt
My company just did a flight test in conjunction with American Airlines. We can expect these systems on all CFR 121 flights within a few years.