Fire proof gun safe

frequentflier

happy to be living
When we purchased this home, there was a 6' X 3' gun safe in the basement. Big heavy thing! The family offered to have it moved and we opted to keep it.
There was a lot of fighting within the family and it appears someone hired a lock smith to remove the combination dial and replaced it with a key lock. There is a hole a little bigger than a quarter where to other lock was removed.
There are no markings on the safe as to where it was manufactured. Is that common? My questions is how do I tell if it is fireproof? There is no insulation; just what I would assume is heavy steel on all sides. Besides using it to store what is it is intended for, I have important papers in there.

PeoplesElbow

Keep the documents away from the edges, top or bottom and they would probably be fine even if it's not fire proof. If you want extra protection get a fire envelope and put the documents in it inside the safe.

black dog

Free America
It will have a fabric lined drywall or fireproof plywood interior to make it fireproof.
That holds the moisture that makes steam to keep the contents cool while the fire burns.
Higher ratings have thicker and better insulation values.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Keep the documents away from the edges, top or bottom and they would probably be fine even if it's not fire proof. If you want extra protection get a fire envelope and put the documents in it inside the safe.
I never knew there was such a thing! Thanks!

PeoplesElbow

I never knew there was such a thing! Thanks!
I use something similar to keep fire in. Charging lithium polymer batteries for my model airplane can be dangerous so I store them and charge them in specially made fire envelopes.

If they can contain a lithium battery fire they will keep your documents safe.