Fired officers in Parkland shooting get their jobs back

Chris0nllyn

The Broward Sheriff’s Office sergeant who was the first supervisor to respond to the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting and lost his job after it was found he hid behind his car as the first shots rang out, will be reinstated, awarded full back pay and get back his seniority, the BSO Deputies Association said Wednesday.
Miller, 57, was paid $138,410.25 in 2017, according to the Sun-Sentinel. The BSO veteran had challenged the decision with union backing. An arbitration ruling found “BSO violated Sgt. Brian Miller’s constitutional due process rights and improperly terminated him,” the union said.
According to a report by the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Public Safety Commission, which investigated the shootings, Miller was the first supervisor to respond; he arrived as shots were being fired. He hid behind his police cruiser and did not radio in for 10 minutes.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article242719216.html

BernieP

Resident PIA
Police have ZERO responsibility or expectation to protect anyone, even our kids.
Had a huge argument with someone over that "protect" part. My position was they don't protect, they enforce the law, that means after the crime has been committed they investigate and try to get the criminal off the street - the other party insists by taking that criminal off the street they are protecting.
I do say, sheltering in place is not a good look, but to not call in for 10 minutes, that's just freezing up in a tough situation.
That's unacceptable, it puts others in jeopardy, including his fellow officers.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Had a huge argument with someone over that "protect" part. My position was they don't protect, they enforce the law, that means after the crime has been committed they investigate and try to get the criminal off the street - the other party insists by taking that criminal off the street they are protecting.
I do say, sheltering in place is not a good look, but to not call in for 10 minutes, that's just freezing up in a tough situation.
Not disagreeing, but he can't be blamed for doing what he was trained to do.

SCOTUS has ruled several times, that police are armed only for their own protection, there is no responsibility on their part to protect anyone other than themselves. Why, when a riot happens, and you're in the middle of it, they will retreat and leave you on your own.. though you probably won't have the same rights afforded to you to protect yourself.

black dog

Free America

Lots of LE dont understand their job is to uphold the law after the fact......
They "might" have a duty to protect and run into the shooting with the "departmental oath" they take, But there is plenty of case law that says they dont have to.

Hijinx

He may have done what he was trained to do.
The Officers Union may think they did a good job for him, and got him his job back.
Everything is right with the world.

But if I was one of the officers working under him I wouldn't want him as my back-up.
I wouldn't be surprised if some of them feel the same way.
If I was his superior I would finds him a desk job

itsbob

I bowl overhand
He may have done what he was trained to do.
The Officers Union may think they did a good job for him, and got him his job back.
Everything is right with the world.

But if I was one of the officers working under him I wouldn't want him as my back-up.
I wouldn't be surprised if some of them feel the same way.
If I was his superior I would finds him a desk job
Can't disagree..

Will99

I think I called this one..

As cowardly as it seemed to be, he did exactly what he was trained to do.

Police have ZERO responsibility or expectation to protect anyone, even our kids.
Zero responsibility to whom? I know my training tells me to enter a building where there is an active shooter. I know my training and my agency's policies and procedures to allow me to wait. You know not what you speak.

black dog

Free America
Zero responsibility to whom? I know my training tells me to enter a building where there is an active shooter. I know my training and my agency's policies and procedures to allow me to wait. You know not what you speak.

Dont run of the mouth for something you dont know anything about....
That might be YOUR agency's policy. But there is a few decisions from that big court in DC that says, LEO's have no duty to enter the fray and protect anyone..

DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services,

Castle Rock v. Gonzales, the U.S. Supreme Court again ruled that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm.

Though alarming, we simply have no affirmative right to police aid, even when a person, including a helpless child, faces imminent danger. We are all responsible for our own personal safety, whether we like it or not.

Chris0nllyn

That might be YOUR agency's policy. But there is a few decisions from that big court in DC that says, LEO's have no duty to enter the fray and protect anyone..

Castle Rock v. Gonzales, the U.S. Supreme Court again ruled that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm.

Though alarming, we simply have no affirmative right to police aid, even when a person, including a helpless child, faces imminent danger. We are all responsible for our own personal safety, whether we like it or not.

Don't forget Warren v. DC.

Will99

There is a big difference in a law enforcement officer not acting when they have the ability to do so and police not taking action on a restraining order where they don't have any active information about violence. You can spout off more of your b.s. like the cops did nothing about your b.s. burglary blah blah blah but it's just that. A keyboard cop-hating hero running off at the mouth. I hope you're enjoying your Michigan governess.

DaSDGuy

I think I called this one..

As cowardly as it seemed to be, he did exactly what he was trained to do.

Unless they are St Marys County deputies, like Blaine Gaskill at Great Mills High School. Trained to go on and protect and that is what he did.

black dog

Free America
There is a big difference in a law enforcement officer not acting when they have the ability to do so and police not taking action on a restraining order where they don't have any active information about violence. You can spout off more of your b.s. like the cops did nothing about your b.s. burglary blah blah blah but it's just that. A keyboard cop-hating hero running off at the mouth. I hope you're enjoying your Michigan governess.
A bunch of strawmen in your post....I have the paperwork to backup the worthless St Marys Officers and Sheriff...
Its very simple, A leo does NOT have the responsibility to protect anyone....
You to narrow between the ears to understand that?

And since you seem to pay so much attention to me, reading is fundamental....
I live in Free Indiana.......

Another of KooKoos MPD's....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Aren't unions great?

I'm pretty sure this guy did have a duty to call in shots fired, and yet he waited 10 minutes.

But if cops have no duty to protect, why would anyone call them in an emergency? Someone's breaking into your house, why would you call the cops if it's not in their job description to do anything about it?

And of course if you take care of the intruder yourself, the libs will pule and cry and say you should have called the cops.

:crazy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Also, cops respond to suicide calls all the time. Why do they go try to talk people off the ledge if they have no duty to protect? Cops also respond when Cletus is smacking his bitch up. In fact, cops respond to any number of "protect" situations, so I'm pretty sure that despite you armchair SCOTUS kids cherry picking cases, cops do have a duty to protect the citizenry.

black dog

Free America
Aren't unions great?

I'm pretty sure this guy did have a duty to call in shots fired, and yet he waited 10 minutes.

But if cops have no duty to protect, why would anyone call them in an emergency? Someone's breaking into your house, why would you call the cops if it's not in their job description to do anything about it?

And of course if you take care of the intruder yourself, the libs will pule and cry and say you should have called the cops.

:crazy:
LE's job is to uphold the law after the fact.... If they were there to protect you,
you would have one with you all the time to protect you....
Self protection is ones own responsibility.
Now some departments require one to take and oath that has in it they will go forward and enter the fray when necessary. But by federal law, they dont have to.

black dog

Free America
Also, cops respond to suicide calls all the time. Why do they go try to talk people off the ledge if they have no duty to protect? Cops also respond when Cletus is smacking his bitch up. In fact, cops respond to any number of "protect" situations, so I'm pretty sure that despite you armchair SCOTUS kids cherry picking cases, cops do have a duty to protect the citizenry.

Those are both After the Fact.... They are there to uphold the law.
Its against the law to try to kill yourself and Cletus broke the law when he smacked her...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Those are both After the Fact.... They are there to uphold the law.
Its against the law to try to kill yourself and Cletus broke the law when he smacked her...

But didn't the Parkland shooter break the law when we went into the school and started mowing people down?

We are both talking about police responding to a call, and acting accordingly to stop the situation.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
But didn't the Parkland shooter break the law when we went into the school and started mowing people down?

We are both talking about police responding to a call, and acting accordingly to stop the situation.
You should read the Unarmed Jew.. an anti-gun Liberal that was caught in a theater (if I remember right) during the LA riots.. when he realizes, the cops aren't going to help, they have no responsibility to help him and his family, that in fact it his sole responsibility to protect himself, and his family,

All they had between his family and the rioters were locked glass doors, and an unarmed security guard.. as the cops retreated for their own protection, leaving them on their own.